A new DA7.2x ?
Oct 1, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #241 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
So Davi, I'm curious. With the setup you have, why are you piddling around with a "discount" DAC? Are you just testing it out for kicks, or are you hoping that it will actually outperform everything else out there?

Extremely good point.

Davi, what setup do you have, headphones, speakers, amp, IC, etc...?

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #242 of 412
Quote:

So Davi, I'm curious. With the setup you have, why are you piddling around with a "discount" DAC? Are you just testing it out for kicks, or are you hoping that it will actually outperform everything else out there?

Let me see.... Years ago I acquired my tube amp from local TV repair shop. I traded a solid state Scott receiver with all the bells an whistles. I spent the next few years modding that with the help of some very nice friends and industry insiders who I befriended. My passive preamp is home made, I think the current alps pot cost me 50.00 and the Analysis Plus hook up wire cost about 40.00. My Hafler amp that I use for the low frequency cab was purchased on the second hand mkt for about 200.

My old digital front end was an Adcom gda 700 and the audio alchemy dti pro was purchased used from the cable co. for about 200.00. And then my VonSchweikert Speakers. I purchased the first pair based on Robert Harleys write up in Stereophile. This was not even an official review. You see Robert was trying to gain a position at Stereophile so he reviewed his own speakers the Vortex Screen. At the time Albert VonSchweikert was working out of his garage. I called him and purchased a pair for I think 700.00 based on the very positive review alone. Needless to say Albert and I struck up a friendship. In fact I was the one open his first dealer here in South Florida. I didn't ask for money just a pair of his new speakers. Albert has modified them for me twice since then.

When I opened up that dealer I started a small rep company
and based on that I was able to acquire the accessories like component stand speaker wire ac protection etc at or less then dealer cost.
So knowing all this, do you still think that it is out of character for me to purchase this processor?

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #243 of 412
Quote:

Davi, what setup do you have, headphones, speakers, amp, IC, etc...?

1) Custom VonSchweikert speakers. (Albert VonSchweikert is a good friend)
2) Hand rebuilt and heavily modded st70 vacuum tube amp.
3) Hafler solid state Amp..for low frequency under 150hz (VonSchweikert speakers are biamped)
4) Passive preamp. This was self made by me with a high quality Alps Pot and wired with Analysis Plus
5) Audio Alchemy digital cable Model DST. This is an active cable with a modded power supply. (really made a positive improvement in this system)
6) Panasonic s47 DVD player used as a transport. This was a strong recommendation from the folks at Benchmark tech support. They said that their tests found that it was as good as their dac1 needed for optimal performance. I concur. This replaced a Cal Audio delta transport that I sold.

Ic For now radioshack goldends. These are not bad at all, but thinking about getting Anti ICs

No headphones except a pair of Sennheiser PX 100 I use with my laptop..

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #244 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davi
Let me see....

So knowing all this, do you still think that it is out of character for me to purchase this processor?

Got it.
cool.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #245 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN
I got it !!!
I think I am feeding it bitperfectly.
I can hear bass has more body.
I think we are getting somewhere here !
goodie goodie
smily_headphones1.gif

Could please explain how you get it work please? (If you prefer may in a separate thread)
I installed ASIO4all V2 and try to get it work, but all what see is [size=xx-large]♀[/size] ...

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #246 of 412
Well, I have DS and no upsampling in Foobar
and I ticked bitperfect on Creative Audio Console.
Then I restart FB, and neither notebook's, nor FB's volume do work, and sound is more vivid. Almost crystal clear (still not as I would expect, perhaps dark veil of HD650 ?).
I read that fixed out is better. Does anybody have suggestion for amp, that would drive HD650 for some rock and metal, and could be in future used for some possible K701 or Grado ?

best regards

--G

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #247 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoges.ravel
Could please explain how you get it work please? (If you prefer may in a separate thread)
I installed ASIO4all V2 and try to get it work, but all what see is [size=xx-large]♀[/size] ...

Maybe i'm stating the obvious but make sure you're not playing any music through that connection at the moment you try to set it in asio4all.

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #248 of 412
Just e-mail Eddie, and found out the TXCO is available. (just placed my order, together with PC-link to save some postage.) Let's see what TXCO has to offer.
tongue.gif

BTW, what are recommend soldering iron/solder for audio equipment? I didn't use these after graduate from university. Guess I will have to practice a bit before apply these to my 7.2x.
tongue.gif

(My guess is 15w soldering iron from Radio Shack, other recommendation?)

Oct 3, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #249 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spare Tire
Maybe i'm stating the obvious but make sure you're not playing any music through that connection at the moment you try to set it in asio4all.

Thanks GASTAN and Spare Tire, I get it work now but don't quit know why. I'm using foobar, it works with 0.83 not with 0.931 or 0.94 ...

I have had the Citypulse DA7.2 for 2 days now and d'ont think Eddie has had time to burn it for 48 hours.

I found the sound is pleasant but I don't know if it is accurate, I feel as if some kind of fancy effects are added to the sound but I can't say what. It is for now not capable of rendering complex - like orchestral music.

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #250 of 412
Give it 300 hours burn-in.

Whilst others report little change over burn-in, it seemed to me that sibilants on vocals didnt seem right until the 300 hour mark.

Why it needs so much burn-in I dont have a clue. If anyone can hazard a guess I would love to hear it.

Oct 3, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #251 of 412
I am interested in a dac/preamp combo that I can plug right into an amp, and use it for both its dac and volume control. I don't like tone control circuits. I'd be very interested in opinions about how this sounds as a preamp, expecially how it would compare to something a bit pricier like a benchmark dac-1.

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #253 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Give it 300 hours burn-in.

Why it needs so much burn-in I dont have a clue. If anyone can hazard a guess I would love to hear it.

OMG 300hrz !
I guess I have some more time to go then

anybody any suggestion for an amp (I am based in Europe)

thx

--G

Oct 3, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #254 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN
I played with udial.wav today.
It seems fx produces undesired effect (high freq police sirene sound) on playback.
Can anyone confirm it ?

Yes, fx2 alter the second ringing tone. (the ringing tone is played twice, with fx2 off both tone are identical, with fx2 there are added sparks(?) on the second tone.)

I convert the ape to wav and playback in iTunes. With fx2 off, I can hear the distrotion when the volume is almost set to max. With fx2, the distortion can be heard with normal listening level.

You can download the udial.wav here: (2sec ape file)
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...=9772&hl=udial

Warning! Use cheap headphone to test this.

I wasn't aware of the loudness of the clip, and turn the volume too high...(my ear still hurts, ensure that you turn the volume to min before turn on/off fx2.)

Based on the reply on hydrogenaudio, it seems the problem is due to upsampling. In either case the underlying tone is still clear audiable. I would like to know if other OS DAC have similar result. (better/worse than 7.2x)

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #255 of 412
Hi everyone.,

Burning this unit in is like a test in faith. You know what you hear is not right and you wonder if the burn-in process will ever work for you as well as it has worked for others. At least that's what you have read. Then, when you think that you are beginning to hear an improvement, you question yourself...... "Is this a real improvement? Or am I just deceiving myself into thinking that that it sounds better? Then, a funny thing happens... You forget that your trying to evaluate your system and without noticing, the music takes you away.

This is what is happening to me now ...after about 150 hours of burn in, so far at lease, I've convinced myself that I hear a big improvement.

later..... davi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back