A little story and some new info on custom iem's...
Aug 20, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #91 of 617
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Hi! Assuming the MS in your nick stands for Michael Santucci, could you, for the sake of clarity, expand on what you meant when you told me that the 2X-S emphasize bass? You mentioned some listeners prefer a flat response but that, in independent studies you conducted, most listeners preferred more bass.
Could you expand on how you achieve that?

Also, how would you explain the rapidly falling frequency response after 3KHz that is shown on the graph posted in this message?

Many thanks for your answer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the MS stands for Michael Santucci, however this is Julie responding. I will forward your questions on to Michael so that he can clarify things for you. He will not be available today, but I am sure he will respond as quickly as possible.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #92 of 617
Iamdone: I would definitely do that--listen to a universal IEM with the sound signature of the custom IEM--if at all available--it's a great idea. Even a live crude estimation would be very worthwhile IMHO. It will be interesting to hear your perceptions on how accurate the sound signature of the universal fit Sensa approaches that of your custom Sensa's when they arrive (not the quality of sound, just the signature). Heck, I'd like to give the universal fit demo Sensa's a listen just to get a very crude idea of their sound signature myself, strictly out of curiosity. I'll have to see if my audiologist has this available, but I seriously doubt it; I'm sure she would have already suggested it.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #93 of 617
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldblueviffer
Julie Glick, M.S., F-AAA
is part of her address
some kind of qualification i suspect
ian

Yes, this is a qualification. I am an audiologist and it stands for Master of Science and the F-AAA stands for Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology

Aug 20, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #94 of 617
So, since this is about as personal of an attack as one can make without mentioning names, thought I may as well respond, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmt1
I'm watching this, and it's incredulous. Does someone have an axe to grind with UE?

Yup, of course I do, I have a problem with the way they market their products. To claim anything as "Best In the World" is a very bold, and misleading claim. Does any audio manufacturers claim that they are the "Best in the world"? Of course not, because they understand that sound is very subjective, and what's "best for one" cannot be "best for all". To make that type of claim based on a dubious technical claim is near fradulous.

This speaks nothing about the merit of their actual product, there's people who will like UE-10 for whatever reasons of personal preference. However, that is not to be confused with technical achievement. Which is the reason why I started the thread trying to understand more about the reasoning behind "flat curves". If "flat curve" is such a technical superiority, then why doesn't everybody try to do it? It's pretty apparent that almost no high-end headphone or speaker companies really cares all that much about having a flat curve.

Quote:

A thread devoted to the superior workmanship of the Sensa's, based mainly on appearances...

Another Head-Fier wanted to see them, came over to my house and took beautiful pictures of both. He had no preconception on which one had better workmanship. In fact, he had doubts that silicone can be used in such application without some issues and problems. The conclusion he came away with is that the 2X-S is much better made, in both craftsmanship and ergonomic consideration.

If you had it in your hand, you would probably feel the same way. Just as when I showed them to iamdone the other day. There's no question that the silicone material is superior, and even if appearance is not an issue, the material itself is superior, period.

I also noticed the Sensaphonics had rebranded their material, probably because they're tired of other companies that doesn't have silicone claiming they have a "full-soft" material. They're calling it the "Comfort Gel" silicone now. I would've easily paid a premium for the Comfort Gel over the acrylic material, meanwhile I wouldn't have spend a dime if I knew the full-soft was as ridiculous useless as it was. Like I said before, if you get a UE-10 Pro, save the $50, because full-soft is a joke.

Quote:

A thread devoted to trashing the UE philosophy on flat FR curves (there are also some replies in that thread that give merit to the approach, but those apparently have been discounted).

Well, I started the thread because I want to know why other manufacturers don't agree to that philosophy. UE is a part of that, because they are the only company that I know of which even adores that philosophy. Wait, all these decades of headphone and speakers, only one manufacturer is making that type of a claim right now? Why is that?

The conclusion I draw from thread is that yes, flat curve is important on a source level, and some people even prefer it on a amp level as well. The reason for the flat curve on the source and amp level is about preserving purity of the original recording itself. Allowing the signal to get through to your playback equipment as cleanly as possible.

That changes once you actually get to the playback equipment though, the speaker/headphone/whatever else. Reason is that in only an ideal world, where we have flat curve microphone, flat curve production, flat curve mastering, that flat curve speakers will make sense. We don't have anything that's anywhere close to that in reality. The recordings are mastered to typical consumer speakers, curves has been adjusted, the original recording might not have been done with a flat curved microphone to begin with.

On top of that you have to calculate in resonance and perception of sound by our ears. Just as mentioned earlier, your ear doesn't perceive sound as flat. This gets very confusing, and I don't quite know what the answer is, since there are so many variables.

Basically, your ear doesn't perceive flat curves, but that's also because that your outer ears are involved in a more normal listening process. There's a shaping of sound when it gets inside your ear from a speaker reproduction. With an IEM, because they seat inside your ear, that "shaping" of sound doesn't happen because your outer ears are not involved.

So the theory is, if you've got a flat curved speaker, playing back sound into your ear a certain way... to get that same sound to play back with an IEM inside your ear, the curve must not be flat! It must mimick how your outer ear would've shaped the sound.

This is where the measuring method for such a thing comes in contention. I listed UE's testing product earlier in the thread. That equipment is typically used to measure capabilies of hearing aids, they were not specifically developed for testing musical equipments. Even though they did say they are supposed to mimick ear canal response, if you read the product sheet (the PDF file from the site), it doesn't explain a whole lot, and there's a plethora of different fittings to fit different type of hearing aids that all could affect the sound. When put plainly, there's just no universally right way to measure curves from an IEM.

There's no organization governing these type of benchmarks, and there's so many variables involved, it's hard to identify simply one right way to measure them to begin with. There's enough debate about this type of measurement just with speakers alone, room placement, environment and acoustic resonance of the room and such. IEM measurements are just as complicated.

So for one company to come out and make a huge deal about how they've got flat curve under such a ridiculously varying and unsubstantiated condition is close to fradulent. At least in my opinion.

It's just like when Apple first came out with the Mac G5, they had an advertisement that said, "The fastest personal computer on earth." Even computer benchmarks are often questionable, and truthfully in third party tests, the G5 was no faster than similiar equipped computer running the Opteron (soon to be followed by Athlon 64) at the time. Some companies filed lawsuit against Apple's ad, and the court issued that Apple stop using that ad because of its claims are very questionable. Of course, Apple just simply said, "We're done with that advertising campaign anyway" and just pulled the ad.

This situation with Ultimate Ear's claim is no different. If you're truly, really educated about the way that hearing and the ear works, you'll see there's a lot of flaw in both claims of any curves (not just for Ultimate Ears, but for any company in that respect, but Ultimate Ears is the foremost in basing their marketing campaign around this particular concept) in order to sell products.

Quote:

Let's just compare the phones. Some people actually prefer UE5C's to Sensa's

Let's call that "some people" what it really is, shall we? You mean MacObserver's single, one, ever so definitive article? Can you find another person that's auditioned them both extensively? Heck, I haven't even done that, so I can't even say much about it.

Quote:

some people actually prefer UE10PRO's to Sensa's, and vice-versa. From reading some of these threads, you'd think the UE's are crap, and the Sensa's are in a league of their own--the gulf continues to widen from Lindrone's initial review at an alarming rate.

This I agree with to an extent. There are some people that'll like the UE-10 Pro sound. However, I think we've determined that to be neither people who like Shure earphones, and not people who like the Sennheiser headphones either.

Quote:

I think both are great companies, but it appears there is almost an agenda here trying to steer folks to Sensa. It reminds me of when a certain someone, for all practical purposes, became a spokesman for Shure, and was so intertwined with the company they were sending him free products to trial, all the while maintaining a total lack of bias.

"Someone"? Why don't you just call me out? It'll be a little more manly that way, as if I wouldn't read this?

For your record, plenty of people did like the Shure more than Ety, you may not be one of them, but it is certainly not only my opinion alone. Not only the Shure E5c, but even the E3c has its own legion of fans against the Ety ER-4. Perhaps not as numerous, but nevertheless it was a very valid opinion.

Even some other guys, like Bangraman, has switched over to using only the E5c for all portable purposes, although he doesn't use them for home, mostly because of other headphones that's even superior. He doesn't use the Ety ER-4's at all now, because there's no room for them at home or portably.

Bangraman also thought much the same as I did in regards to the Shure E3c, except I liked it more out of personal preference than he did. He most certainly thought that they were a competitive product to the ER-4 as well.

Quote:

Although the sound signature of the UE5C's isn't what I was after, there were no issues with quality--eq'd, they were the best thing I'd ever heard. We'll see about the UE10PRO's, but I'm not too worried about it.

That's not quite the point, is it? You can equalize everything and anything so they sound okay. With a good equalizer you can make the ER-4's sound more exciting, you can make Shure E5c's highs sound more apparent and more detailed.

I'm not a believer in equalization, simply because the source, amp and headphone all work together to achieve a sound signature that's already "equalized" in their own respect in some way. There's already enough adjustments and distortions. If I still can't get to the sound signature that you wanted via those methods, then I know I just got the wrong headphone. I shouldn't *have to* use an equalizer to get to the sound that I want.

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #95 of 617
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmt1
Iamdone: I would definitely do that--listen to a universal IEM with the sound signature of the custom IEM--if at all available--it's a great idea. Even a live crude estimation would be very worthwhile IMHO. It will be interesting to hear your perceptions on how accurate the sound signature of the universal fit Sensa approaches that of your custom Sensa's when they arrive (not the quality of sound, just the signature). Heck, I'd like to give the universal fit demo Sensa's a listen just to get a very crude idea of their sound signature myself, strictly out of curiosity. I'll have to see if my audiologist has this available, but I seriously doubt it; I'm sure she would have already suggested it.

Call Sensaphonics for their audiologist in your area. They are all trained by Sensaphonics. I'm sure they could get the universal model if they requested it. Since it's a big purchase, I'm sure they would be up for a just a consultation and testing without the agreement to purchase. My audiologist also sold shure and ety products as well. It looked like there was a shure e3 with one casing off and molded in the soft custom silcone earpiece for show. This was just the women's house. There wasn't a store front. I believe she makes personal visits and travels down to L.A. half the time as well.

edit: They were only as crude as etys are. They looked just like a little fat ety with the red and blue and the tri-flange tips. I have no problem with that ear piece, so I was able to get a great seal. I was tempted to take them home. Other than the custom fit, I think it's how the holes are positioned and aimed that will make the difference. So I don't imagine it to be a major difference in sound, just more like changing to a better tip that suites you. The major difference should be the fit and comfort. This is just a guess and I could be wrong but I'll know soon enough.

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #96 of 617
Quote:

Originally Posted by JGMS
Yes, this is a qualification. I am an audiologist and it stands for Master of Science and the F-AAA stands for Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology

just wondered .... thanks for the answer
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #97 of 617
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Haven't we already covered this topic before? Here, go read this thread:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81897

It'll shed some light on at least a few reason why the flat curve thing is ridiculous.

I've been on vacation for the past 3 weeks.
wink.gif

I read part of that because I have to go out for dinner... but in a previous thread I listed many, many sources that held flat frequency in high regard... Here, read my post. I found many sources that countered your argument in the other thread.

But this is not the point. What's wrong in trying to get Michael Santucci's opinion on this? In an ideal world I'd like to have both Jerry Harvey and Michael Santucci on this thread. To clarify things once and for all.

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #98 of 617
Quote:

This I agree with to an extent. There are some people that'll like the UE-10 Pro sound.

Apparently everybody that has bought them likes them. Am I mistaken in this?

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #99 of 617
Quote:

A little lacking in bass for me, being of the Shure persuasion. It may be at least partly a seal issue though.

Aug 20, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #100 of 617
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
For anyone who's worried about not being happy with the sound of iem's, see if your local audiologist has or can get the universal model just so you can get a taste of what to expect.

And how do you convince dmt1 that this is not just another conspiracy where Sensa put way better drivers in the universal fitting models, just to sell the inferior custom mold?
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #101 of 617
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
And how do you convince dmt1 that this is not just another conspiracy where Sensa put way better drivers in the universal fitting models, just to sell the inferior custom mold?
biggrin.gif

Either way, it's nice to know these drivers are out there.
wink.gif

When I mentioned I had musicians friends, she told me to recommend them to get the musician earplugs, which is just their custom mold. Too bad my friends are too poor even to get these.

Aug 20, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #102 of 617
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
biggrin.gif

They would hardly hold back better drivers just for the occasional demo universal IEMs.

Aug 20, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #103 of 617
Quote:

Originally Posted by penbat
They would hardly hold back better drivers just for the occasional demo universal IEMs.

Plus she wasn't pushing the demo. I found them in the pile with all her silcone sensaphonics. I asked if they were single driver and she said they were the same dual-drivers as the soft 2x but not to base my opinions on these since you don't get a perfect fit.

I don't want to be part of the conspiracy because it's already a little strange to finally like the same product as lindrone. This doens't mean I wouldn't like the ue-10 as well but I think one iem is enough (if you're happy with them) so I don't care to find out.

Aug 20, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #104 of 617
Quote:

Well, like I said, if you that's the only thing you had, you're unlikely to complain about it, not like you know what the other side sounds like anyway. Until you decided to throw down even more money for it.

My UE-10 is collecting dust, used for testing purposes only now to enlighten other folks.

Aug 20, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #105 of 617
Quote:

My UE-10 is collecting dust, used for testing purposes only now to enlighten other folks.

Did you even see about a trade down to the ue-5c. My guess is they won't do it because of the long wait but it's worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back