A little package arrived today... oh my
Jul 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Gazza

500+ Head-Fier
Oh my, what ever could this be?

Hmmmm, an unassuming gray box. 

Uh, oh...

So, my old cartridge - the Ortofon Kontrapunkt C - is dead due to old age and I needed a new one. Rather than doing the sensible thing and just getting a similar cartridge or a slight upgrade I decided to push the boat out and simply get the best.

Yeah... it's something alright.

I've only clocked an our or so on it so obviously it needs way more time to bed in but man, the sound is like nothing I've ever heard before. In fact, it's so alien and strange that the only conclusion I can draw is that everything I've listened to before and everything I thought I knew about audio is wrong and this, this is right. Sure, it does the wanky audiophile thing of gobs more detail, bass imaging, blah, blah , blah. That doesn't matter. I feel I'm listening to my albums for the first time ever and I need some time to adjust.

I'll update when I've listened to the cartridge a lot more.

Let us all hold a candle vigil for my wallet.

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 30
Wow and ouch... 

have fun with that one... 

Cheers

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 30
That cartridge really is something.  You are one lucky person!  Congrats on a very high quality purchase and may the cartridge gods keep you safe and happy :)

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 30
Your impressions of the A90 are very similar to how I feel about the Windfeld - the sound was so different it takes some getting used to (mine might still be breaking in, too). Not in a bad way of course - in fact it I consider it analogous to the Sony Qualia 010 of the headphone world, except without the Qualia's bizarre-ish midrange (though maybe the mids on the Windfeld are just a touch hot). The resolution and signal/noise ratio is significantly higher than that of the Kontrapunkt c and Benz Ref 3 - and much higher than that of my old Glider L2. It's almost shocking that there's that much of a meaningful difference in ~$2K+ cartridges.

I still do enjoy the Ref 3 and Kontra c though - they have an overall warmer sound and while still highly resolving - are a bit more forgiving too. Sometimes that just works, as much of my vinyl collection is not typical audiophile fare. Nice to have removable head-shells at those times.

I've also heard the A90 in another PP tube/big Tannoy system - and I get the impression that they're very similar, with the A90 a bit "more better". Congrats, enjoy!

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 30
Thanks, guys. This is indeed something special. I've clocked a few more hours, playing great sounding albums and some not so great but the sound is compelling regardless of what's playing.

The dynamic range is... amazing, I keep turning up the volume and it doesn't sound louder just bigger.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 30
Nice one, glad you're enjoying the A90 so far!

And yes, Mulveling is right...  There are a lot of similarities between the A90 and Windfeld.  The A90's SLM body make it more of an analytical listen, whereas the Windfeld is a little bit less in the area of inner detail.  Both sound superb.

Expect a 50 hour break-in time - at least that's what most people have said regarding how long it takes.  And if you have time, read Michael Fremer's SRA articles in the last Stereophile - they really talk a lot about proper stylus rake and how it impacts extreme diamond profiles like the Replicant 100.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
The dynamic range is... amazing, I keep turning up the volume and it doesn't sound louder just bigger.

That is when you know that you have done good... 

Cheers,

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 30
What a cool looking pick-up.  Congrats.  Look forward to hearing more about how it sounds.  Go Team Vinyl!

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 30
A90 in a RB300 arm? I would say that there is a lot more potential in that cartridge if your were to change your arm / turntable.... Your wallet must be flexible when you jump into something like this.... ouch.... congrats!
Ive been putting an eye on this cartridge, but im not sure if im prepared to go all the way (which I know I will) and upgrade my arm to the clearaudio universal.... vinyl, vinyl, those stuck in digital dont have a clue!

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
Thanks, guys. This is indeed something special. I've clocked a few more hours, playing great sounding albums and some not so great but the sound is compelling regardless of what's playing.

Congrats, Great Looking A90 cart.Gazza, but with the rega did you have to worry much about VTA adjustment?  I suppose you were close since your previous cart was a Ortofon???  Such a unique design! I agree with the others above, keep us vinyl junkies posted after some break in............Please....PS watch that cantilever... 

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
Your wallet must be flexible when you jump into something like this

Ha, ha, ha, ha! I'm eating 2-minute noodles for the next six months.

As to my RB300, yeah, there are better arms out there but the 300 is pretty amazing in its own right and the huge step up in performance shows me just how good the arm and the rest of my system is. I'll probably upgrade to a better phonostage next year.

I will say one thing, the A90 is really exposing the limits of my HD650 and reinforces my love of speakers.

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #15 of 30
Just a little update.

I re-aligned the A90 with the Feickert Alignment Protractor which really made the midrange come alive, adding an amazing and unrivalled sense of detail. It also highlighted that the rest of my system is really tipped to brightness, something I need to ameliorate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back