A little about the Shozy Alien
May 7, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,597 of 3,124
Is there a DAC/AMP that can achieve this level of SQ at similar price point? Does the aim to achieve same SQ in a DAC/AMP drive-up the price significantly? If there is one already, wouldn't it make excellent pair-up with a phone? 

May 7, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #2,598 of 3,124
  Is there a DAC/AMP that can achieve this level of SQ at similar price point? Does the aim to achieve same SQ in a DAC/AMP drive-up the price significantly? If there is one already, wouldn't it make excellent pair-up with a phone? 

hey another blackberry user. not many of us around anymore, always good to see other users.

The only ones I have heard that sound similar to the alien are the Apogee Groove and Chord Mojo. But nothing I have heard at the alien's price point unfortunately.

May 7, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #2,599 of 3,124

Going from memory of my missing Alien, I would say the new Dragonfly Red is comparable if not a  little better

May 7, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2,600 of 3,124
I just connected Alien > Burson Soloist SL MK2 > Fostex T50RP MK3 and listen Pink Floyd Hey You (Wav) and it is Freaking Awesome. Is there anyone who also hook up with external amp to listen with full sized headphone?

May 8, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #2,601 of 3,124
hey another blackberry user. not many of us around anymore, always good to see other users.

The only ones I have heard that sound similar to the alien are the Apogee Groove and Chord Mojo. But nothing I have heard at the alien's price point unfortunately.

Yea, it's always great to find another BB user. Unfortunately with recent announcement from watsapp, I started toying with an old android phone.

So what is stopping them from making the alien with inputs? Wouldn't that be awesome and open up wider market for them even if it costs a little bit more? I would definitely get one if those and just use my phone as transport.

i
Going from memory of my missing Alien, I would say the new Dragonfly Red is comparable if not a  little better

Dragonfly red and alien? Hmm that's pretty lofty praise for DFR. I know its well received but I have read that Alien gives AnK 120 ii a run for it's money.

May 9, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2,602 of 3,124
...discovered another fun little Alien quirk this weekend. It reads .cue files. If you use FooBar to convert your FLAC albums into single .WAV files, you can select the option to convert into a single multi-track .WAV file. FooBar make a .cue file with it. When you load the card into your Alien, the Alien will use the .cue file to skip through tracks.

The catch here is that you either need to use folders to delineate albums again, or you have to flip backwards to go through your albums without having to skip through every single track.

For the record, I simply keep a folder for each letter of the alphabet and make a single .WAV file, with no accompanying .cue file, for each album. I file the album in the right letter folder, and then am able to flip my way around pretty easily.

I have my review marinating in my mind. Will be posting it soon-ish....time permitting.

May 9, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #2,603 of 3,124
Review is up:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shozy-alien-dap/reviews/15966

May 13, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #2,607 of 3,124
Am i the only one who thinks the alien is not forgiving ? Like well recorded tracks sound oh so ****inf good and then you listen to some fake flac and you wonder what the **** is going on ?

The alien has been running circles around my fiio X5 in terms of just sound quality. If only I could figure out the alien worked though :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back