A little about the Shozy Alien
Jan 25, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #1,036 of 3,124

I've learned a lot following this forum over the past few years so it is about time I make a contribution!  So, now that the Shozy is everyone's favorite Alien (just passed E.T. with the discovery of shuffle), which iem's pair best with it?  I've tried my RE-600, Altone 200, and Dunu DN-1000 and all sound great.  Since the RE-600 is my most recent purchase, I've been using them the most but I definitely need to revisit the other two to see which pairs best for my listening preferences.  I also have a JDS Labs C5 amp but not sure it is worth trying, especially with these sensitive iems.  I'll likely just stick to the HPO for Alien listening.

The answer is really relative to your price range or budget, I think most IEM sound 'good' from Alien, though (for me) Fidue A83 has that magic touch. It's this pairing  my DX50 + amp, DX90 cannot reach such a level with the same IEM. Whether it be from synergy perspective or simply Alien's performance.

I'm not sure what to do with my recent DX90 purchase as it clearly cannot reach a level Alien can with my Fidue, I've decided to just let that be as its obvious so I will search for entirely new IEM (hybrid) for the DX90 as I know its capable, possibly DN-2000J?. I think you're getting a pretty decent experience with Altone and DN-1000 and Alien. (haven't heard RE-600)

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,037 of 3,124
I've been contemplating getting the Fidue's as well mainly based on your review and recommended pairing with the Alien, but I can't bring myself to buy them now since I just got the Re-600's a few weeks ago.  I am also interested in the newest DUNU offerings as well, the Titan and the yet to be released DN-2000J's, so I think I will wait a bit and enjoy my current iems for the time being.

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #1,039 of 3,124
Wow - nice! I bet that works very well.

Yes and no :frowning2:
size and feel of wheel buttons are perfect for pocket control but unfortunately, double tape does not stick strong enough to Sugru. I'll find something else, maybe replace the wheel all together if it comes down to it... Really want that pocketable control.

Shuffle works for me this morning, yeahhhhhh!

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,041 of 3,124
  I get distortion and slow playback at 24/96, what programme are you guys using to get these Wavs to work ?

I did some testing today and unfortunately have the same issue.  I have two 24/96 albums purchased from HDtracks, Van Morrison's Astral Weeks in FLAC and just got the Clash's London Calling in WAV.  The FLAC files aren't even recognized by my Alien and the WAV files do play, but severe distortion is present.  I tried converting the FLAC's to WAV using Foobar and Dbpoweramp and both programs give me the same stuttering playback with 24/96.  Only when I converted both albums to 24/44.1 WAV files did I get clean playback with no issues.  Maybe I'm not using the right program for conversion, but it could just be the fact that HDtracks files won't play correctly in 24/96.  The 24/44.1 sounds great so I am not really complaining.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,043 of 3,124

I did some testing today and unfortunately have the same issue.  I have two 24/96 albums purchased from HDtracks, Van Morrison's Astral Weeks in FLAC and just got the Clash's London Calling in WAV.  The FLAC files aren't even recognized by my Alien and the WAV files do play, but severe distortion is present.  I tried converting the FLAC's to WAV using Foobar and Dbpoweramp and both programs give me the same stuttering playback with 24/96.  Only when I converted both albums to 24/44.1 WAV files did I get clean playback with no issues.  Maybe I'm not using the right program for conversion, but it could just be the fact that HDtracks files won't play correctly in 24/96.  The 24/44.1 sounds great so I am not really complaining.

yeah this sounds similar to me, I was just surprised to read people were managing to play 24/96 at all. Even at 24/44 some of my downloads wont read wav or flac, unless I use a lossless level

edit: I was using db poweramp for conversions and having issues. Converting using foobar seems fine!

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,044 of 3,124
 I tried one 96k/24 FLAC that didn't play so I converted it to WAV. It played, but with lots of excess noise.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,046 of 3,124
Hey, just caught up with this thread! Regarding the hidden shuffle/modes, that's great to hear! Thanx for whoever tagged me to help notify me of such etc, very helpful.

Was weird because just on Friday I noticed I wasn't moving to the next folder but instead repeating the first track, thought it was a bug, at least now I know it wasn't!
This definitely makes the Shozy more attractive, and I will have to amend my reviews to highlight such a feature exists.
This sums up my review of the terrible unboxing/lack of manual part of the Shozy, worst I have ever seen on a DAP lol. Bizarre..

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #1,048 of 3,124

The answer is really relative to your price range or budget, I think most IEM sound 'good' from Alien, though (for me) Fidue A83 has that magic touch. It's this pairing  my DX50 + amp, DX90 cannot reach such a level with the same IEM. Whether it be from synergy perspective or simply Alien's performance.

I'm not sure what to do with my recent DX90 purchase as it clearly cannot reach a level Alien can with my Fidue, I've decided to just let that be as its obvious so I will search for entirely new IEM (hybrid) for the DX90 as I know its capable, possibly DN-2000J?. I think you're getting a pretty decent experience with Altone and DN-1000 and Alien. (haven't heard RE-600)

I may have to pick up the Fidue's at some point to hear this "magic" you speak of.  I'm curious to hear your impression of the Titan's with the Alien.  Any magic there?  Do you prefer them overall to the Altone's and DN-1000's?  Since they are relatively cheap, I think I might give them a shot.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back