A little about the Campfire Audio Lyra
Mar 15, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #256 of 277
  I received my Lyra today and I'm incredibly pleased.  This should go without saying, but they blow my DUNU Titan's out of the water, haha.  I actually prefer these over my PM-3s which are my usual suspects for portable use.

One question on tips - I live in a small city in China and it's hard to get tips such as JVC or UE tips, so I usually rock Comply tips.  I'm using the included TX-400 tips but has anyone tried the TS-400 or TSX-400 by any chance?

Also, I'm really not a fan of this cable.  I don't notice any microphonics but I find the cable distracting and prone to tangles.  Any recommendations here?  I'm leaning toward Norne Vorpal or Therium since I've had good experience with Trevor in the past.

(excuse the double post from the loaner thread - thought these questions might be relevant here as well)

I am one of the ones who really loves the Lyra. I find it very engaging and rich. I have not heard the Orion or Jupiter, though. I use both the TS and TSX tips and find them both really nice, however they don't last too long. I got the Norne Therium cable and couldn't be happier with it. Very pliable and soft, it disappear once worn. I won't get into the SQ arguments about cables but this really does provide a decent improvement over the stock tinsel wire.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #257 of 277
I recently had a chance to listen to Lyra which has been burned-in for more than 200hrs, love its soundstage and bass! As a basshead, I find myself actually lean to warmer, bassy IEM so I sold my Orion, adding some bucks and get the Lyra.

Now it has been burned-in 50 hrs approx. I am amazed at the details and soundstage that Lyra delivers. To me it sounds like a hybrid IEM - supreme quality of highs and mids reproduced by BA drivers, and also impactful, decent bass that dynamic driver delivers. But all of these are just from one beryllium driver + Ceramic housing!! Its soundstage definitely beats my UM Pro 30. I find the highs is a lot smoother than UM Pro 30, just like the highs I heard from Orion before, very detailed, smooth and with good extension!

I am really looking forward to it when reaches 150-200 hrs of burn-in!

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #258 of 277
My review of the LYRA is up!
You may check the full review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-lyra/reviews/15525

DSC4840.jpg

The Lyra sports tuned ports which may be responsible for the overall transient response. I believe these ports hold the key to further tuning improvements specifically in its bass response. In my experience, the Lyra sounds best in outdoor settings or not-so-quiet environments. The reason being, the said scenarios can reduce the perceived bass quantity. This is purely my preference, if this is the intended use for the Lyra then I can truly understand the inspiration in its tuning. Please note that the tuned ports are positioned facing forwards. The location of the ports can make wind noise more audible than ideal, so just a point of caution when using the Lyra outdoors.

This is the second entry from Campfire Audio's line-up of In-ear Monitors. As a new entrant in the IEM market, they are definitely heading in the right direction. The Lyra is built from premium materials, designed to be functional and performs as advertised. These can be a bass-head's IEMs if one prefers a smooth and laid-back sound. Surprisingly, they're quite fun to listen to! I'm really looking forward to review Campfire Audio's third model - the Jupiter. Quite curious on what sets them apart from the Orion and Lyra.

@fnkcow has posted his Lyra Review!
check the full review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-lyra/reviews/15548

Sound Impressions

Overall the Campfire Audio Lyra has a laidback warm V-shaped sound signature. I found that it is picky in that it sounded good with well mastered tracks but lifeless and dull with modern pop music etc.

Campfire Audio Lyra is not for me. However this does not mean it will not be suitable for others, as YMMV, especially for those who prefer this kind of sound signature and listen at relatively low volume. Auditioning first is recommended to see if it fits your taste.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #259 of 277
Jun 11, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #260 of 277
I recently had a chance to listen to Lyra which has been burned-in for more than 200hrs, love its soundstage and bass! As a basshead, I find myself actually lean to warmer, bassy IEM so I sold my Orion, adding some bucks and get the Lyra.

Now it has been burned-in 50 hrs approx. I am amazed at the details and soundstage that Lyra delivers. To me it sounds like a hybrid IEM - supreme quality of highs and mids reproduced by BA drivers, and also impactful, decent bass that dynamic driver delivers. But all of these are just from one beryllium
driver + Ceramic housing!! Its soundstage definitely beats my UM Pro 30. I find the highs is a lot smoother than UM Pro 30, just like the highs I heard from Orion before, very detailed, smooth and with good extension!

I also very much enjoy my Lyra. I don't find it to be V-shaped as it has, IMO, well-balanced vocals with extended but non-sibilant highs. It does have weight in the lower frequencies, but is not what I would call bass-heavy or boomy. The fit is much better than I had expected as the Lyra fits flush with my ear allowing me to sleep on it without discomfort.

Overall, I find it to have a very satisfying SQ and is a fine all-arounder and a nice complement to my Andromeda.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #261 of 277
I also very much enjoy my Lyra. I don't find it to be V-shaped as it has, IMO, well-balanced vocals with extended but non-sibilant highs. It does have weight in the lower frequencies, but is not what I would call bass-heavy or boomy. The fit is much better than I had expected as the Lyra fits flush with my ear allowing me to sleep on it without discomfort.

Overall, I find it to have a very satisfying SQ and is a fine all-arounder and a nice complement to my Andromeda.

my Lyra has reached 300+ hours now and I found it completely sounds like a hybrid IEM, wonderful and rich soundstage, wide enough and delivers fantastic timbre of highs, mids and bass. Very good layering of musical instruments would let you hear the depth of each song clearly. Smooth and extremely enjoyable indeed. I love this CA sound tuning very much, I reckon it is better than the Westone as this famous brand is already well known on SQ in head-fi industry.

I sold my UM Pro 30 and waiting to embrace the NOVA! 2 pairs of IEM, one dynamic driver type and one BA type of CA are good enough for me!

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #262 of 277
Also, got the JVC spiral dot ear tips yesterday, so far found it is the best match with Lyra.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #263 of 277

Now it has been burned-in 50 hrs approx. I am amazed at the details and soundstage that Lyra delivers. To me it sounds like a hybrid IEM - supreme quality of highs and mids reproduced by BA drivers, and also impactful, decent bass that dynamic driver delivers. But all of these are just from one beryllium
driver + Ceramic housing!! Its soundstage definitely beats my UM Pro 30. I find the highs is a lot smoother than UM Pro 30, just like the highs I heard from Orion before, very detailed, smooth and with good extension!

If you don't mind ask... if you do not own either of them and decide to buy only one, which one would you go for between Lyra and Andromeda (or even Jupiter)? 

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #264 of 277
If you don't mind ask... if you do not own either of them and decide to buy only one, which one would you go for between Lyra and Andromeda (or even Jupiter)? 

Quite a hard call to make as they have very different sound properties. I find that for my ears, the Lyra provides the best fit and isolation, but the Andromeda is the clear winner in layering, imaging and overall tonal realism.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #265 of 277
Hi guys I've had the Lyra's for a few weeks now and am really enjoying them.

I've ordered a ALO Copper 22 cable and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this pairing?

A guy commented over on the Andromeda/Nova thread and suggested it may accentuate the Lyras warm character? Also that the sxc 24 might be better suited?

I'm pretty new to headfi so still working out what's availiable in terms of cablea.

Oh yeah my stock cable is tinsel and it is quite sensetive to noise.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #266 of 277
Hi guys I've had the Lyra's for a few weeks now and am really enjoying them.

I've ordered a ALO Copper 22 cable and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this pairing?

A guy commented over on the Andromeda/Nova thread and suggested it may accentuate the Lyras warm character? Also that the sxc 24 might be better suited?

I'm pretty new to headfi so still working out what's availiable in terms of cablea.

Oh yeah my stock cable is tinsel and it is quite sensetive to noise.

Good choice.

For cables something theoretical or appears one way on paper may actually sound the other way round. Have to try before making a conclusion.

I've tried both and got the Copper 22 to paid permanently with the Lyra. The SXC despite my decent experience with it on other iems doesn't fare well with the Lyra, even tho the extra silver plating would do well with warm characters ON PAPER or as others would tell you.

From my own humble experience, truly pure copper (7N or UPOCC) sound every bit as sparkly, clean and detailed (sometimes even analytical) as silver. But unlike silver, take a tiny bit off that purity (4-6N) and away goes these goodness in exchange for more warmth and weight. I think Copper 22 may not be 7N or UPOCC but are still good enough the render the warm-ish Lyra clean sounding with a nice and charming sparkle up top.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #267 of 277

Good choice.

For cables something theoretical or appears one way on paper may actually sound the other way round. Have to try before making a conclusion.

I've tried both and got the Copper 22 to paid permanently with the Lyra. The SXC despite my decent experience with it on other iems doesn't fare well with the Lyra, even tho the extra silver plating would do well with warm characters ON PAPER or as others would tell you.

From my own humble experience, truly pure copper (7N or UPOCC) sound every bit as sparkly, clean and detailed (sometimes even analytical) as silver. But unlike silver, take a tiny bit off that purity (4-6N) and away goes these goodness in exchange for more warmth and weight. I think Copper 22 may not be 7N or UPOCC but are still good enough the render the warm-ish Lyra clean sounding with a nice and charming sparkle up top.

Thanks for your input.

I ordered the cable without researching to replace the Tinsel which is terrible. I just received word that the ALO cable has arrived in Australia and is already on it's way to my home.

As good as the Lyra's are the fact that I have to go out and buy another cable to replace the Tinsel which is borderline unlistenable does not sit with me very well. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #268 of 277

Thanks for your input.

I ordered the cable without researching to replace the Tinsel which is terrible. I just received word that the ALO cable has arrived in Australia and is already on it's way to my home.

As good as the Lyra's are the fact that I have to go out and buy another cable to replace the Tinsel which is borderline unlistenable does not sit with me very well. 

I think ALO/Campfire kinda heard feedbacks like that and is supplying its newer models (maybe as well as newer batches of the earlier 3 models) with a new cable which is top notch among stock cables. Well that's the evolution of a product which we have to accept I guess. TBH when the tinsel was first released I thought finally ALO went in the right direction to make truly portable and more supple cables, but then the sound quality really couldn't stand up against the competition. I'm waiting for the new cable to be available separately and I'll probably grab a balanced one for my Lyra.

But then, many iem makers now provide even their TOTL offerings with crappy basic, bare minimal stock cables, which is actually appealing to many as the market to after market boutique made cables open up.

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #269 of 277
Has anyone tried the CA's Litz cable with Lyra?

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #270 of 277
FYI Over on the Campfire Audio 2 new models thread, Ken Ball has confirmed that the current iteration of the Lyra has been "discontinued". See post #2777

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805107/campfire-audio-introducing-2-new-models-hello-andromeda-and-nova/2775#post_12854950

Vale Lyra, a worthy IE800 competitor.

regards,

Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back