A list of quadraphonic headphones, and the best ones.
Mar 26, 2008 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

cash68

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post, nice forum so far. I did do a search, read a lot, but couldn't find a definitive list of quadraphonic cans. I'd like to fix that. I'll continue to edit this post with a complete list and hopefully a picture so there's a decent place to study quadraphonic cans. I'll start:

Sansui QH-44 Quad Headphones
QH44.jpg

No review

Technics EAH-420 (uh huhuhuhh)
1cba_12.JPG

Zenith 4 Channel/2 channel headphones, model number unknown
7b3e_12.JPG

Heavy, but comfortable, and after cranking up the high frequencies, they sound decent. They aren't the brightest sounding cans, but this makes extended listening more relaxing, at least to me. There are 2 versions of these Zenith quadraphonic phones, one uses volume sliders on each can, the other uses a rotary knob. The housings and headband look identical.

I love quad and vintage gear, I so I'd like to know more about these rare beasts.

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 32
I don't understand the whole concept of "multi-channel" headphones. We only have two ears. Not that the ear cups are so big that it would actually matter
confused.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand the whole concept of "multi-channel" headphones. We only have two ears. Not that the ear cups are so big that it would actually matter
confused.gif

Cool. Start a thread about it elsewhere to discuss that. This thread is about a list of them, not you trying to understand the concept behind them.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 32
Koss K/2+2? there's a pair on ebay.

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 32
Hey everybody, I just got a pair of JVC 5944's and I can't find a date stamped on them. Any idea what year they were made? most likely they are older than I am!(i'm 22 btw)
Thanks,
Dokka

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DOKKA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everybody, I just got a pair of JVC 5944's and I can't find a date stamped on them. Any idea what year they were made? most likely they are older than I am!(i'm 22 btw)
Thanks,
Dokka

How about a picture?
normal_smile .gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 32
Quadraphonic headphones? As in two separately driven drivers in each ear?

Related but different... I have a (now partially broken and only working in stereo mode) Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Home Edition headset. They have 3 'tweeters' and one 'woofer' (I refuse to call it 'sub') in each earcup. The tweeters relate to a centre speaker, a front L/R and a surround speaker in each earcup. You're supposed to set crossover frequency to around 100 Hz with them. Unlike some others I don't really object to surround headphones in principle but the quality isn't anywhere near stereo headsets.

I used to rate them but that was before I discovered Dolby Headphone and a lot of better stereo sets.

So are any of these quadraphonic sets any good?

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 32
they are referring to quadraphonic headphones/amps/etc from the 70s. there was 4 channel music recordings for several years. not supposed to be 'surround'

i have a mura quadrasonic. i will get some pics up. sounds none too good unless well amped.

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 32
Yeah, as soon as I get my camera back, I will definitely take a picture for your forum. I found a good list of quadrophonic headphones here and an explanation of how they work here.
They sound ok, given I can only plug in one stereo jack at a time. I'll get an adapter to combine both stereo inputs later. This is gonna be awesome for listening to dubstep.
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 32
I listened to the Zenith 4 Channel headphones with the volume sliders growing up in the 70's. This was out of a quadraphonic Zenith system. It has sliders to select your listening position when listening to the 4 speakers. I believe we had a few quadraphonic records that took advantage of this whole thing. The headphones had 2 speakers in each cup. You could fade the volume between front and back speakers. Also believe there was a switch to make it only 2 channel.

When I went back to visit my parents I tried to find them again. No success. They still have the Zenith quadraphonic system though. Headphones must be around somewhere. They never throw anything out.

Edit: Just looked at the photos of it on the linked site above. Those are exactly the ones I had. I think the adapter (shown) is used so it will work with a regular stereo but I know it just plugged in the Zenith system without it.

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 32

Users who are viewing this thread

Back