A legend died today - RIP John Hughes
Aug 7, 2009 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
The world lost a great man today with the passing of John Hughes who died of a heart attack at age 59. For those who may know the name but not the works let me start by saying that this man WAS the 80's! He defined the culture of an entire decade with movies that are certainly in just about every home in America. He was a man that made movies with a focus on family and all the real problems and joys that go with them. He was a man that spoke to and shaped the teens of the 80's. Some of his best include:

Vacation
Christmas Vacation
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Sixteen Candles
Pretty in Pink
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Mr. Mom
Home Alone
The Great Outdoors
Some Kind of Wonderful
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

These movies had such an impact on my youth. This is very sad news indeed.

0806jonhughesrip00.jpg

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 20
I guess the crowd here is mostly too young to remember John Hughes.

I was very saddened to hear this - I loved all of the movies you listed. Breakfast Club was a generational touchstone and I can't remember how many times I've seen it over the years.

My niece is close to 11 - I'm looking forward to giving her all of these DVDs in a few more years. I think Hughes' movies will cross generations and carry on.

If any of the young'uns here are curious, put some of these movies on your "to watch" list. You'll get a good taste of what it was like to grow up in the 1980s (was it really that long ago?) and hopefully they'll mean as much to you as they did to those of us who went to see them in the theaters.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 20
There's a whole generation of us who were profoundly influenced by John Hughes' movies: the unforgettable moments of absurdist pathos were our own confusion and frustration. His characters' griefs were our own inarticulate pain.

I think I speak for all of us Gen-Xers when I say that if it hadn't been for him, I'd never have given my panties to some geek to show the whole freshman class.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vacation
Christmas Vacation
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Sixteen Candles
Pretty in Pink
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Mr. Mom
Home Alone
The Great Outdoors
Some Kind of Wonderful
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

All movies that I enjoyed when I was growing up. It's sad to see a guy like John Hughes pass away.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 20
A real shame, ferris Bueller is one of my favourite movies, also really enjoyed most of the other movies.

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 20
Home Alone is one my favorite movies, and I was born at 1992.
RIP!

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 20
I grew up on Hughes' movies and absolutely loved them. I was in High School when The Breakfast Club came out so it was spot on for me and my life as a teenager. A truly gifted man who will be missed! RIP

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 20
Another loss of an icon from my youth.
frown.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 20
Definitely a sad loss, I've enjoyed all of the movies listed above with Ferris Bueller's Day's Off being one of my all time favorites. His movies also coincided with my teen years which brings back a lot of fond memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back