A jump from Fiio to Schitt
Nov 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SymphonicTXN7

Head-Fier
I have a basic setup from Fiio (E17+E09K) with my Beyerdynamic T-70. It sounds great, but I was thinking of making the jump to a Schitt setup (maybe tubes?). Can anyone tell me if there will be a noticeable difference?

My source is a Macbook Pro with lossless. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 14
I went from the E7 + E9 setup to a Bifrost + Lyr and the difference is insane.  There is so much more power and clarity.  Completely transformed the HD650.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I have a basic setup from Fiio (E17+E09K) with my Beyerdynamic T-70. It sounds great, but I was thinking of making the jump to a Schitt setup (maybe tubes?). Can anyone tell me if there will be a noticeable difference?

My source is a Macbook Pro with lossless. 

With tubes, a noticeable difference (not huge but noticeable). The question is whether that difference is purely an improvement.

As for solid state amps... I'll just say that the "night and day" differences claimed by some people on this board going from a less expensive amp to a more expensive amp are mostly psychological bias at work. And most of the times, people never even properly compare amps by volume matching. 

I recommend you save up your  money for your next headphone purchase... much much more worthwhile. And the Macbook pro has a great DAC in it already. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Yeah, I'm afraid of spending a small fortune for just a little change. That being said are there better DAC's than the E17 like the dacmagic+? or is all just relative as far as incremental changes? 

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Yeah, I'm afraid of spending a small fortune for just a little change. That being said are there better DAC's than the E17 like the dacmagic+? or is all just relative as far as incremental changes? 

There are better DACs than the E17's but the difference is very small, almost unnoticeable through casual listening and certainly not enough to make you go "wow". You're better off investing time into learning how to EQ or money into headphones. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
There are better DACs than the E17's but the difference is very small, almost unnoticeable through casual listening and certainly not enough to make you go "wow". You're better off investing time into learning how to EQ or money into headphones. 

It's funny you say that because the other night while messing around with Itunes EQ, I found a really good setting for Beethoven's sym. No. 5.Are there better EQ programs out there that will work with itunes? I've never really educated myself on EQ.

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

This is far from true. If you can say, stretch your budget for the Bifrost, you'll see quite an improvement.

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
It's funny you say that because the other night while messing around with Itunes EQ, I found a really good setting for Beethoven's sym. No. 5.Are there better EQ programs out there that will work with itunes? I've never really educated myself on EQ.

Use Amarra which has a parametric EQ. Or get Audio Hijack Pro and use the various VST's for an EQ. A favorite of mine
is AngelTone one of the better EQ's without breaking the bank much.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
This is far from true. If you can say, stretch your budget for the Bifrost, you'll see quite an improvement.

Right back at ya 
wink_face.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Now I'm really confused. maybe I should just concentrate on a new set of cans?

That's where you should start. But it all depends on what you're looking for and what your budget is.

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 14
I went from an E17/E9 setup with AKG 701s to a Bifrost/Lyr. I did some A/B (Obviously not blind, so take this with a grain of salt) and was hugely impressed by the Schiit gear.  Moved my fiio stuff to work for use with my vmoda m-100s, and am pretty happy overall.

Ordered an LCD-2 last night, so now I'm waiting for that....

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 14
Quite a bit. They're my main headphone at home, at least for now. On top of the stellar sound quality, they're extremely comfortable to boot - no problem at all listening for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back