A Journey Into The Strange, Abstract And Dark Realm Of Music
Mar 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Black Earth

Very dark music, some kind of wierd combination of jazz/blues and ambient.

x2

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #33 of 50
Glad you enjoying the kreng album Mike, it is quite excellent indeed. here are a few others worth mentioning:

Dissolving Orchestra, The - The Dissolving Orchestra (CDr, Album, Ltd) at Discogs << weird, abstract, keeps you tuned in.

Integral - Rise (CD, Album, Ltd, Dig) at Discogs << Deep, dark, and atmospheric IDM. Good stuff.

Blackfilm - Blackfilm (CD, Album, Dig) at Discogs << Varied, sometimes not so dark or abstract, but always good and follows through with what it starts. A good album.

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született at Discogs << Not too abstract, but dark, nice change of pace when you have been listening to ambient all day (or night). Oh and at one point very funny.

Craig Richards - Fabric 15: Tyrant (2xCD, Comp, Mixed, Met) at Discogs << This is a bit more dance oriented, disc 1 for sure. But Disc 2 has some twisted sounds that are definitely worth checking out, if you want your mind to groove just as much as your ass this is for you.

Anders Ilar - Ludwijka - Extended Visit at Discogs << This one is similar to the last one, but better described as your ass grooving with your mind. One of my favorite IDM artists, keeps the lights down and always keeps you tuned in. Perhaps worth mentioning that his works never lack that emotion spoken of earlier.

Andrew Weatherall - From The Bunker - A Rotters Golf Club Mix (CD, Mixed) at Discogs << The guys at rotters golf club are very unique in their sound, its definitely electro but unlike anything else out there. Doesn't start off too dark but it kicks into gear soon enough and from there its a very nice ride. Be wary the first track might wake you the hell up and make your blood turn to oil, for just a sec.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #34 of 50
This is easily the most interesting and potentially mind expanding music thread I've ever come across. I thought I listened to some weird stuff, but some of you guys just blow me away
eek.gif

Keep it going, please

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #36 of 50
Just found another really monumental album, Irezumi- Endurance.

Multilayered and textured with awe inspiring composition, revealing a story hidden within its sonic landscapes. I cannot recommend this album enough, though I would strongly suggest to listen to at night, and let the music be the guide of your mind!

Cheers,

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #37 of 50
Seek out some Clock DVA. Experimental Industrial genre. No need to provide detail, you'll either like it or not.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #38 of 50
At+The+Mountains+Of+Madness+.jpg

At the Mountains of Madness - Electric Masada
-- John Zorn, 'nuff said

dc6bf1dc9f0301e3148b87df77168674_full.jpg

Sarcast While - Time of Orchids
-- New Wave mixed with Jazz, has some hints of Kayo Dot

B0000CDLB0.jpg

Choirs of the Eye - Kayo Dot
-- Amazing Jazz/metal/avant-garde album by Toby Driver

110195.jpg

Diadem of 12 Stars - Wolves in the Throne Room
-- Environmentalist Black Metal, really good

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #39 of 50
Great stuff thanks!
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found another really monumental album, Irezumi- Endurance.

Multilayered and textured with awe inspiring composition, revealing a story hidden within its sonic landscapes. I cannot recommend this album enough, though I would strongly suggest to listen to at night, and let the music be the guide of your mind!

Cheers,

Got anymore dark ambient stuff? I recognised the Caretakers, Hoedh and Les Joyaux De La Princesse on your list but I can't for the life of me, stand Industrial
tongue.gif
Unless it's Einsturzende Neubauten.

In exchange,
The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation - Succubus
Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #41 of 50
Hey Cianyx,

Here are some of my recent favorites!
* Beneath the lake - Silent Uprising
* Almost anything by Raison D'être
* Kammerheit
* Jeff Greinke
* Herbst9

There are many more, but these are worth checking out. The only problem with the dark ambient genre in general is that it is very hard to find an album that stands out from the rest, since most have the same general feel. IMO what makes a masterpiece, is one that defines the genre and breaks new grounds that are both intuitive and redefining. I really hope more people explore this genre, since there are some real gems!
beerchug.gif
Cheers,

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #42 of 50
silentwatcher on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Mick Harris and Bill Laswell's Somnific Flux

The allmusic guide entry on Mick Harris' Lull project

:zoviet*france: is an experimental music artist, not necessarily "dark" as such, but might be worth your time. William Basinski is one such too, not dark but odd enough maybe to peak your interest. Beequeen and fearfallsburning as well.

Here is a rapidshare link to a file from an artist called The Charlesworth Family. As far as I know, the only thing this particular artist every released under this name is the track that I have linked at the rapidshare link, and it appears on the Slumbermusic compilation from Universal Egg records.

Divining Familiars link

It's 70 MB in Apple Lossless (it's a very long track). First ten of you get it.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many more, but these are worth checking out. The only problem with the dark ambient genre in general is that it is very hard to find an album that stands out from the rest, since most have the same general feel. IMO what makes a masterpiece, is one that defines the genre and breaks new grounds that are both intuitive and redefining. I really hope more people explore this genre, since there are some real gems!
beerchug.gif
Cheers,

Thanks man
beerchug.gif

Indeed, that's a reason why I've never really got into Ambient. However, most Ambient recommended to me so far has been sufficient in creating a magnificent atmosphere within me so I'm not complaining. However, I doubt the popularity in Ambient any time soon. Let's face it, you need a lot of patience for the genre
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #44 of 50
If you want to get into ambient start with the beginning, ambient 1 by brian eno. harold budd teamed up with eno and so came ambient 2 plateux of mirrors, another great gem in the world of ambient music. Avalon Sutra by harold budd also comes to mind when thinking of must hear ambient albums. I slowly made the transition to ambient from downtempo, and the two genres mix really well
biggrin.gif
. Oh and Discreet Music by brian eno doesn't get enough attention either, great album.

Oh and talking about going back to beginnings, one great old gem in the world of strange abstract music is right here: Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Zero Time

Also can't forget to mention Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back