A Journey Into The Strange, Abstract And Dark Realm Of Music
Nov 18, 2009 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

MikePio

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could list some of the most strange, dark, surreal, abstract, experimental and atmospheric inducing soundscapes known to your ears and soul! This has been my favorite genre of music for years now, it takes patience and an open mind, but once one transfixes themselves to understanding these sonic puzzles, the reward is of pure sonic bliss that touches your heart and shakes your core.

If your interested here are some of my recommendations, short but sweet
wink.gif

* Maeror Tri - The Beauty Of Sadness
* Black Lung - Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars
* Troum And All Sides - Shutun
* The Caretaker - A Stairway To The Stars
* Nurse With Wound - Spiral Insana
* Nurse With Would - Salt Marie Celeste
* Hoedh - Hymnvs
* Land - Opuscule
* Blood Axis & Les Joyaux De La Princesse - Absinthe

There are many more exceptionally good albums, but for the sake of space and sanity, I will leave the rest to your will. I understand this is not everyones "cup of tea", but for those that can relate, help me find some more to add to this list. Thank you, and happy listening!
dt880smile.png

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 50
Lustmord - Heresy

great record

and if you want some atmospheric black metal:
Urfaust - urfaust drei rituale jenseits des kosmos

and if you want just weird (but awesome) music:
koenjihyakkei - angherr shisspa

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 50
Robert Rich & B. Lustmord - Stalker
Robert Rich - Somnium
Murcof - Cosmos
Ionosphere - Stellar Winds
Steve Roach - All Is Now
Sleep Research Facility - Dead Weather Machine
vidnaObmana - Legacy

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 50
Murcof - Utopia - moody electronica
Marc Ribot - Shrek - dissonant, dark, spacey experimental guitar

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 50
I don't know if this is "Abstract" enough, but Drum's Not Dead by Liars is one of my favorite experiential/soundscape albums that I have heard.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 50
One of the better recent releases would be The Ontology of Noise by Nana April Jun. It's a masterwork.

The Wiki entry states it better than I ever could:

Quote:

The Ontology of Noise

Quote:

is a work of conceptual sound art, by Nana April Jun, released by UK-based audio-visual label, Touch. The Ontology of Noise consists of five minimalist compositions with a sound situated between white noise and black metal. The album researches the hallucinogenic qualities of noise[1] exploring all-digital noise timbres as continuous, evolving streams. The Ontology of Noise has been described as Grey Metal[2].

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 50
Thanks for the great suggestions guys! Some I have in my collection and others I have not even heard of. Keep them coming, and in the mean while I will add some of these to my collection. Also to the headphone collectors out there, which headphone do you enjoy listening to the most with this type of music? I prefer a darker sounding headphone, with more focus on the lows and also a wide soundstage. Since I noticed that playing the same album with my K701's sounded vastly different then when played through my DT 150's. Though for this genre I stick with the DT 150's (even though they lack soundstage).

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 50
Many titles by Robert Rich fits the description nicely. Apart from Stalker and Somnium, I would highly recommend the two "compilations" A Troubled Resting Place (more consonant of the two: disturbingly beautiful) and Below Zero (absolutely uncompromising storms and clouds of feedback noise; sublime in the philosophical, Kantian sense of the word).

There is a lot of good stuff to be had on Hypnos records, in particular Jeff Pearce, Richard Bone and Saul Strokes. The Italian label Amplexus (I think it is defunct) used to have lots of limited-edition discs by masters of ambient music.

On the "modern classical" front, you may find Wolfgang Rihm's orchestral works (such as Jagden und Formen interesting.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 50
Nov 22, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 50
David Sylvian & Holger Czukay - Flux & Mutability
Current 93 - I have a special plan for this world
Coil - Astral Disaster

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone!

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could list some of the most strange, dark, surreal, abstract, experimental and atmospheric inducing soundscapes known to your ears and soul! This has been my favorite genre of music for years now, it takes patience and an open mind, but once one transfixes themselves to understanding these sonic puzzles, the reward is of pure sonic bliss that touches your heart and shakes your core.

If your interested here are some of my recommendations, short but sweet
wink.gif

* Maeror Tri - The Beauty Of Sadness
* Black Lung - Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars
* Troum And All Sides - Shutun
* The Caretaker - A Stairway To The Stars
* Nurse With Wound - Spiral Insana
* Nurse With Would - Salt Marie Celeste
* Hoedh - Hymnvs
* Land - Opuscule
* Blood Axis & Les Joyaux De La Princesse - Absinthe

There are many more exceptionally good albums, but for the sake of space and sanity, I will leave the rest to your will. I understand this is not everyones "cup of tea", but for those that can relate, help me find some more to add to this list. Thank you, and happy listening!
dt880smile.png

I don't know any of these artists. cool, thanks for posting will take look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back