A Hifi-version of the Beyerdynamic Headzone is coming
Jul 19, 2007 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

JensL

100+ Head-Fier
It's a simpler and (hopefully) more affordable consumer-version of the Headzone Pro (well over $2000). Apparently available in October 2007.
Now it's got a digital in, so you can connect a DVD-player directly to it (the Pro only have Firewire and analog 5.1 inputs).

=280&tx_ttnews[backPid]=121&cHash=df0612e41a]Pressrelease here.

HeadzoneSet_01.jpg

As one who have heard the Headzone Pro, I'm really excited about this box.
The Pro sounded just amazing, and for me, it represents a whole new area in headphone-listening. Not just for movies, but regular music too.
The reason why I didn't post a review of the Headzone Pro, is that I don't feel qualified to review it properly, as it is a professional tool for surround sound engineers.

But I will say that movies sound awfully dull without the Headzone, and it might be the same for some music too, actually. :wink:

I'm not sure that there will be much use for the headtracker, unless you're an engineer. Fortunately it sounds just as good with a regular DT770 or DT990. :)

Let's just hope it's not too expensive...

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 28
Ah, that's very cool. It will be interesting to see what price point they sell it at.

Thanks for the info JensL!

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 28
Does it just have the digital input or is that in addition to analogue ones, it isnt made clear. Certainly both would be a plus because you cant get the full quality from DVD-A and SACD over the digital output.

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 28
Jul 24, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 28
Wait, you're stuck using DT880s with this? That's what the press release seems to imply. If so stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid Beyer.

Considering Smyth Virtual seems to be missing in action (a March-April release? Yeah right!) I've very much consider picking one of these up, but not if it means I have use DT880s, I'll stick with Dolby Headphone and my electrostats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...make me think of Dolby Pro Logic which was less than convincing. I'm skeptical that any set of cans can really recreate anything matching a properly setup 5.1 system. But hey I'm all ears.

No no, you've got it all wrong. These devices are stereophonic/pentaphonic to binaural virtualizers. They take a 2.0 or 5.1 signal and convert it to a binaural one for headphone listening.

The process does work because it does exactly what your ears do when you're listening to stereo and multichannel sound reproduction, using room cues and head related transfer fuctions. Because of the mathematical complexity of HRTFs and spatial cues they are immensely difficult devices to design so they sound convincing, but it can be done.

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? That doesn't make sense.

Our Duggeh must like the 5.1 mixes on the high-res audio discs. Me? I'll take 'em or leave 'em.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 28
I like thems on my surrounder or on 5.1 but its heavily dependent on the mix. I don't like the Tubular Bells 2003 surround mix, which is a pain because I love Mike Oldfield. Donald Fagen's Kamkiriad and Jean-Michel Jarres AERO and REM's Up all sound pretty nice in 5.1

My remark about the digital output relates to the copyright protection on DVD-A and SACD, which limits the resolution massively unless you use the analogue connections.

I've just spent 2 hours burning my fingertips making my Surrounder adapter cables. Provided that they don't short out I should be able to enjoy the more fulsome benefits of its shoulder mounted goodness tomorrow.

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, you're stuck using DT880s with this? That's what the press release seems to imply. If so stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid Beyer.

If you absolutely want to use the headtracker, and don't want to do any scary soldering, then you're stuck with the DT880.

When I tried the Headzone Pro, I used every headphone I had with it, including the DT770, and all worked just fine. I didn't miss the headtracker at all. I guess it's mostly meant for sound engineers, and somewhat of a gimmick for regular consumers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas
I dunno. These algorithms they talk about here....

http://www.beyerdynamic.de/cms/Press...ash=df0612e41a

...make me think of Dolby Pro Logic which was less than convincing. I'm skeptical that any set of cans can really recreate anything matching a properly setup 5.1 system. But hey I'm all ears.

It's nothing like Pro Logic. At least not soundwise.
Usually, you lose some highs and lows with Pro Logic and other "Virtual Surround" thingies. Not so with the Headzone. You get a huge, airy soundstage in front of you, with lots of great details.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I tried the Headzone Pro, I used every headphone I had with it, including the DT770, and all worked just fine. I didn't miss the headtracker at all. I guess it's mostly meant for sound engineers, and somewhat of a gimmick for regular consumers.

Good to hear.

Now if only it came with a processed line out so I could use my own amp...

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 28
Hehe...it looks like people have been asking about using other headphones with the Headzone.

Beyer are now introducing the DT770 PRO HT:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/cms/DT_77...58.0.html?&L=1

It looks like a regular DT770 Pro with a headtracker bolted on.
And the Headzone software is updated with new algorithms for the DT770.

Hopefully they'll offer this for the non-Pro Headzone too.
And a line-out too...

This would be a damned nice movie rig. :)

Jul 25, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 28
Okay, it looks like the algorithms are headphone specific which makes sense. You should still be able to hook up any other dynamic headphone as per JensL above, but the results may not be as good. Any idea on how you could hook up electrostatics. Also this doesn't appear to handle the new HD audio codecs either.

While I'm most interested in the SVS/Yamaha YSV-1, the Beyer has the advantage of not needing to be calibrated from an actual speaker system whereas the YSV-1 does. Upside of this is that it's of great benefit to people like me who do not have access to decent speaker systems and it avoids the complications of poor room acoustics when calibrating. Potential downside is that (based admittedly on the limited reviews available) properly calibrated ,the YSV-1 is probably going to be the better performer because it has more personalisation of the individuals ears in the calibration process and will also have the sonic signature of the speakers used. On the other hand, how many people will be able to calibrate the YSV-1 with great speakers in an acoustically superior room. On average, the Headzone may be the better option. (I think I'm getting a headache here ......)

Hopefully the announcement of the Beyer product will spur Yamaha to get the finger out before Christmas. In my more optimistic moments I'm hoping the delay is because Yamaha are figuring out a way to simplify the calibration process while maintaining the quality of the sound. When I'm hallucinating I imagine that Yamaha will have a final product to demo at the London Hi-Fi show in November!

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, it looks like the algorithms are headphone specific which makes sense. You should still be able to hook up any other dynamic headphone as per JensL above, but the results may not be as good. Any idea on how you could hook up electrostatics. Also this doesn't appear to handle the new HD audio codecs either.

We're in the same boat there. Maybe we should petition Beyer to bring back their ET1000 electrostats.
biggrin.gif

I currently run a cable from the headphone out of my Dolby Headphone unit, but I hate that damn shared ground. I wish virtualizer manufacters would give us a 'clean' output (be it digital or analogue) on top of the headphone jack. To me it belies the lack of respect they have for the technology, preventing anyone with a good system fully taking advantage of it.

Quote:

While I'm most interested in the SVS/Yamaha YSV-1, the Beyer has the advantage of not needing to be calibrated from an actual speaker system whereas the YSV-1 does. Upside of this is that it's of great benefit to people like me who do not have access to decent speaker systems and it avoids the complications of poor room acoustics when calibrating. Potential downside is that (based admittedly on the limited reviews available) properly calibrated ,the YSV-1 is probably going to be the better performer because it has more personalisation of the individuals ears in the calibration process and will also have the sonic signature of the speakers used. On the other hand, how many people will be able to calibrate the YSV-1 with great speakers in an acoustically superior room. On average, the Headzone may be the better option. (I think I'm getting a headache here ......)

My plan is to borrow the systems of well set up aquantances rather than doing my own room. I'll see if I can talk a movie theatre into letting me use their gear for half an hour...

Quote:

Hopefully the announcement of the Beyer product will spur Yamaha to get the finger out before Christmas. In my more optimistic moments I'm hoping the delay is because Yamaha are figuring out a way to simplify the calibration process while maintaining the quality of the sound. When I'm hallucinating I imagine that Yamaha will have a final product to demo at the London Hi-Fi show in November!

CEDIA, hopefully. If it's not out in time for the next CEA it probably never will be.

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure that there will be much use for the headtracker, unless you're an engineer.

I have also had the pleasure of hearing the Headzone in action on a convention for audio and broadcast professionals. It was very cool to be able to alter the size of the room and placement of the speakers, and hear the effect. It really works very well.

As far as I understand the headtracker would be necessary in a production environment (mixing surround) to get the feeling of being in a room. Otherwise you would just do the mix "inside your head". The typical use of the Pro version would be to lay out the tracks and position them on a computer, and then go into an mixing studio for the final mix. Or mixing the live sound of TV or radio in an OB-van where space is limited.

I guess that you don't need the headtracker if you sit still in front of a TV-set watching a movie. I never tried it without the headtracker though.

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #15 of 28
"I currently run a cable from the headphone out of my Dolby Headphone unit, but I hate that damn shared ground." (quote)

Carl, if I was to look for that cable, what would I ask for. Pardon my ignorance, I got a Stax 3030 system recently and I've already upgraded the 'phones to an Omega II (still agonising over what new energiser to get). I haven't connected it up to my Philips Dolby Headphone unit yet.

"My plan is to borrow the systems of well set up aquantances rather than doing my own room. I'll see if I can talk a movie theatre into letting me use their gear for half an hour..." (quote)

I need new friends, local cinema is crap !!

CEDIA, hopefully. If it's not out in time for the next CEA it probably never will be.[/QUOTE]

I have tickets booked for the London Hi-Fi show, which is why I'm hoping it will be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back