A headphone tribute goodbye to Tyll from Innerfidelity
May 14, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #91 of 306
I discovered my favourite headphones (Shure 1540) thanks to his review and I checked every now and then his youtube channel. Always loved the good vibes and the neutral comments. Reading through this thread made me like him even more, and the fact that he is retiring in a tiny house on the road makes him an idol! haha! Good luck man.

May 14, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #92 of 306
Time to make Tyll Headphoneus Emeritus.

May 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #93 of 306
When I became interested in this hobby and Head-Fi, back in 2012, one of the first reviews I saw was of the Ultrasone Edition 10 headphones by Tyll Herstens.

Of course, I had no idea who this man was...a caveman living in a shipping container (?) who just happened to be reviewing $3,000 headphones!
But...I will Never forget the review. Watched it dozens of times.
It seems Mr. Tyll was not overly impressed with the ($3,000!) cans, to say the least.

I suddenly became aware of two facts........1) watch my wallet, and 2) trust objective and knowledgable reviewers.
Don't buy something just because it looks like it will sound great.
That knowledge, instantly conveyed by Tyll's screwed-up face at the harsh Ed 10 treble, has guided me well.

Through the years...the wall of fame, the sound measurements, the reviews and CanJam videos...what a history. Alas, I only got in on the last six years.

From one who just retired on my terms to another who did the same, I wish you well Sir and happy travels.
With an AK240, Aeon Flows, Beats and etc. and a FedEx truck...man you will rock the planet.

Be Well,
RCBinTN

ps. If you're in middle Tennessee on June 2, feel free to stop by Tom's (@kilkil) house.
We have a mini-meet starting at 2pm. Less a meet and more like a cocktail hour(s) w/ mobile gear.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...t-nashville-area-saturday-june-2-2018.878848/

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #94 of 306
May 14, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #95 of 306
Hey Tyll,

I remember going to my first event, the LA Meet in 2013 and meeting for the first time. Over the years, I went to all the different THE Shows, CanJams, RMAF, CES 2017 and we would always run into each other.

Your reviews and measurements always brought a smile to my face. I remember reading and watching all the time in my college years and checking Innerfidelity often.

Seeing you at event always was a blast and going to miss you at events going forward but will never forget all the great times.

Thanks for all reviews and moving the headphone industry forward.

Until next time,
Alan

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 14, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #96 of 306
When I became interested in this hobby and Head-Fi, back in 2012, one of the first reviews I saw was of the Ultrasone Edition 10 headphones by Tyll Herstens.

Of course, I had no idea who this man was...a caveman living in a shipping container (?) who just happened to be reviewing $3,000 headphones!
But...I will Never forget the review. Watched it dozens of times.
It seems Mr. Tyll was not overly impressed with the ($3,000!) cans, to say the least.

I suddenly became aware of two facts........1) watch my wallet, and 2) trust objective and knowledgable reviewers.
Don't buy something just because it looks like it will sound great.
That knowledge, instantly conveyed by Tyll's screwed-up face at the harsh Ed 10 treble, has guided me well.

Through the years...the wall of fame, the sound measurements, the reviews and CanJam videos...what a history. Alas, I only got in on the last six years.

From one who just retired on my terms to another who did the same, I wish you well Sir and happy travels.
With an AK240, Aeon Flows, Beats and etc. and a FedEx truck...man you will rock the planet.

Be Well,
RCBinTN

ps. If you're in middle Tennessee on June 2, feel free to stop by Tom's (@kilkil) house.
We have a mini-meet starting at 2pm. Less a meet and more like a cocktail hour(s) w/ mobile gear.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...t-nashville-area-saturday-june-2-2018.878848/

One of the most hilarious video reviews of a set of headphones I've ever watched! I also watched it several times. I think when I watched it, I hadn't seen many of his reviews or read them and I expected this was his normal schtick so I was surprised, but not unhappy, to discover that most headphones he reviewed definitely got more serious, thorough treatment in a video review. :smile:

May 14, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #97 of 306
All the best Tyll.

2D41E506-8B92-4EF2-8534-5842381233D1.jpeg

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #98 of 306
I wish any one that has been in the hobby for any length of time, and has the the guts and fortitude to go against the grain with every mass produced headphone that hit the market that did not live up to his expectations. My only problem was the shaming that one poster keep bringing forth, and said person is a very new member here. I just did not think it as down in a positive was that turned most people off. I have a firm belief that one can move people using sugar rather than vinegar! So I hope all turns out great with Tyll and other s learn from their mistakes how do do a thread of thanks without burning bridges and stepping on toes.

May 14, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #99 of 306
All the best to you Tyll as well! Can't believe you are taking not one but TWO Wireless HP's??? And you say they sound great...What???

Good Luck with your adventure Tyll. Looks like you've outfitted Putt with everything you'll need. It great to also hear that you will have AFC's and AFO's to at least remind you what good music sounds like.....you'll eventually get that high-end set-up going....

Congrats for such an excellent career and we all would like to thank you for encouraging HP manufactures to raise their game to make the HP's the SQ they are today!!!!!!

Cheers!

May 14, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #100 of 306
We are unable to allow you to retire without your favorite set of headphones. Your Focal Clear is on it’s way to join you in your retirement adventures. Good luck and have fun! The Clear is a gift from us to you for your many years of contributing to the HeadGear community.

This is seriously the coolest thing I’ve read all day.
Awesome gesture!

May 14, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #101 of 306
My intro into the "audiophile" headphone amp world was a HD600 happily bonded inside the last official edition Headroom Max with all the trimmings.
I still occasionally fire up the MAXX Today and it always sounds as great as TYLL & Team designed it to sound.

You know....The wonder of TYll's vision is that he created not only a way to enjoy music "up close", but his obsession
manifested and continues to manifest, around the globe, the sonic bliss of the musical epiphany experience for all who will discover it using headphones.
Tyll helped us all discover not only how to hear music better, but also how to actually get inside it and access a profound contact high, anytime we want.
All you have to do is strap on, and enter......

Tyll, may all your roads ahead be GOLDEN......

Thx for it all, -

FB1

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #103 of 306
Sad to see him retire.Tyll will be missed by us “ old timers”. He was always helpful to us. Headroom was one of the first headphone venders that appeared here. I bought most of my gear from his company. My first amp, I still have a headroom bag that I treasure. It was time that this board had a true sense of community. Growth is good, but too much commercialization can be bad as well.
Happy retirement Tyll.

May 14, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #104 of 306
enjoy your new journey, Tyll, you surely shaped ours here.

doctor-who-rain-sad.gif

May 14, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #105 of 306
Enjoy your retirement Tyll, I always respected your opinions on headphones over the years and certainly had an influence, you will be sorely missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back