A good ramen noodle movie
May 27, 2011 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Just saw the movie Ramen Girl, which I streamed from Netflix. I liked it overall. It's about a girl who has an obsession with making the perfect or at least high quality ramen noodles from scratch. 

If there is any message in this movie that I would like for people to learn is that making ramen noodles is actually a fine art. To most people, ramen noodles is this instant dish that you usually eat in college or when you need to save money. But in reality, a good version of ramen noodles made from scratch is a very fine dish and can be a revelation.

There is nothing like a fine bowl of ramen noodles.

May 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 11
Tampopo!!!

The strange cut-scenes are actually the Director and his wife.

Think Comedy/Western where the out-of-town gunslinger sticks around to help a poor widow learn how to protect herself...but with Ramen.

(The Director actually got all cut up by the Yakuza after making a movie that made fun of them.)

May 28, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 11
I have a confession to make.

Sure, you can cook ramen.

But several moons back - in undergrad - we used to eat ramen raw. Just unwrap the slab, sprinkle on a bit of the flavor packet, and start crunching away. That went well with a Pabst Blue Ribbon. Mind you, this was before PBR became fashionable. Though we'd also have it with the late, great, delicious, Crazy Horse malt liquor.

Though this is not quite as delicious as having beer and donuts. Believe it or not, beer and donuts go together exceptionally well. Possibly the greatest hangover remedy ever. I still enjoy beer and donuts, but class it up a little by pairing chocolate donuts with rich porters and stouts.

May 28, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 11
Tampopo!!!

The strange cut-scenes are actually the Director and his wife.

Think Comedy/Western where the out-of-town gunslinger sticks around to help a poor widow learn how to protect herself...but with Ramen.

(The Director actually got all cut up by the Yakuza after making a movie that made fun of them.)

lol!

I bought Sukiyaki Western Django cuz it was like $8 on blu-ray. The opening credits conclude with Quentin Tarantino narrating the origin of the story. I should've know what I was in for at that point but actually watched the entire thing. Don't get me wrong I love Tarantino's style but when mixed with Japanese martial arts writing it was a train wreck. I'll probably have to watch it again as I recall I was drinking so I might appreciate it more eventually, oh well.

I'm a sucker for Kung Fu Hustle. It's probably one of my favorite movies of all time. I almost feel ashamed as it's so wacky but the story is actually quite endearing.

May 28, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 11
@Permagrin!!  I keep remembering that I MUST own Kung Fu Hustle.

For me:  Blazing Saddles = The Princess Bride = Kung Fu Hustle = Big Trouble in Little China >>> Buckaroo Banzai.  IMHO, of course...   

Crap.  This could cause a flame war.

Sukiyaki Western Django???  That needs to Double-Bill with Rudy Ray Moore in the Avenging Disco Godfather.

@ Uncle Erik:  you just didn't have some Japanese grocery stores that sold the yellow/red ramen with the flavor ALREADY on the dry noodles!  Ate them like that too...

And I know too much about PBR.  Ever heard of Regal Pale?  We never got to try that...the other "1OA2GB" (One of America's Two Great Beers):

Sorry, @Spareribs...beer goes well with ramen and watching movies and posting in your threads???  
redface.gif

May 28, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 11
@Permagrin!!  I keep remembering that I MUST own Kung Fu Hustle.

For me:  Blazing Saddles = The Princess Bride = Kung Fu Hustle = Big Trouble in Little China >>> Buckaroo Banzai.  IMHO, of course...   

Crap.  This could cause a flame war.

I've seen Blazing Saddles so many times it is imprinted on my retina :D

Got Princess Bride when it came out on Blu-ray as well. I'll have to watch Big Trouble in Little China again, it's been a long time.

And... I've never seen Buckaroo Banzai... though I'll soon rectify that. :wink:

edit: Oh, on-topic: I heard about that movie and then followed a link to some Blu-ray site where they were just going crazy about how beautiful the resolution was, etc. I might watch it eventually but not on that merit.

May 28, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 11
Then I promise to watch Ramen Girl and Sukiyaki Western Django.  

Dang, I can't type that sentence without cracking up.

May 28, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 11
Tampopo, which means dandelion in Japanese and is the name of the heroin's ramen bar is one of my all-time favourite movies. It is funny on so many levels.  Amusing also is that the famous actor, Ken Watanabe (think Memoirs of a Geisha), only has a secondary role. It was made before he became famous.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Last post here:  have to recommend Shalala in Mountain View for <actual> ramen...passed the Dad test on Father's Day (he loves ramen)!

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 11
The first thing I thought of when I read the thread title was Tampopo! Great movie...
I remember when I first saw Tampopo I was an undergrad at an art school, we had a movie festival and were showing movies involving food. Another movie that I watched that week was The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. Now that was a disturbing movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back