A fun, overall great sounding IEM with great details, large soundstage, and precise instrument separation? $200 budget
Feb 21, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #31 of 85
I have perfect seal and I find drums at least very unnatural to my ears as well. Bass is not as noticeable as drums to me in terms of how natural the reproduction of it is.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #32 of 85
Well, my ears tell me I'm with javajive on this one, no surprise. Based on the OPs needs, I believe the CK10s could work for him. If the OP needs a little more bass (without using EQ), but wants detail and mids, then I agree with StereoIntegrity that the MTPGs also might also be a good option. Guess that's why I own them both.

I have had several top tier phones, and some lesser IEM as well price-wise, and I guess my definition of fun is different then some others here. I have a lot of fun listening to the CK10s. They are not overly analytical, like the ER4Ps, to my ears. I hear them differently, I guess, along with the list of other CK10 owners who have them, and like them a lot, and would not trade them for any of the other top tier universal IEMs.

It may be a moot point anyway, since they are almost impossible to find at $200.

Also, I would not use that Sound & Vision review for much of anything. If you read the entire thing, the guy makes plenty of mistakes on the phones he rates, based on reviews from HFers on those same IEMs.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #33 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
javajive, it's just an opinion, like yours or anybody else's. Also, I couldn't care less whether I'm alone with it or not, it's what my ears tell me. Interestingly I have several other IEMs that can reproduce much more realistic bass and drums and portray energetic music significantly better than the CK10. All with the same proper seal, judging by the same ears - so how would you explain that?

BTW it's not even true that I'm the only one, you can find similar opinions here, here and here.

Long story short, I stand by my opinion that the CK10 are excellent IEMs for analytical listening, when you value detail, clarity, seperation and imaging above all else - no more, no less.

James-
Just fyi you can add shigzeo to your group of users/reviewers who've heard the bass the way you do. It was his main negative with them, even though he still regarded them highly for other strengths.

I've always found your reviews/impressions very valuable and impartial, and appreciate your willingness to state exactly what you hear, even if it goes against the majority. Your thoughts are also relevant to anyone who shares your sound preferences, or fit issues with IEM's.

Keep up the good work and good listening.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #34 of 85
Quote:

I hear the current batch of tf10s is nonsense , breaking down easily, lousy sounding cables and so on, so you might wanna consider that too.

Yikes, that doesn't sound good. Can anyone relate?

Seems that there's a lot of talk about what "fun" means. Sorry, should've clarified. My meaning of fun is energetic/dynamic and lifelike. And I should've mentioned that I want bass in good quantity, bass that I can feel. So I guess that means the CK10s are out.

The MTP seemed good..until I read this:

Quote:

MTP sounds like you are on top of the piano or something(no soundstage, don't know how to make of that)

He was talking about the gold version, though. Is the copper any better/different?

Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions rolling.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #35 of 85
Triple Fi 10s
smily_headphones1.gif
I have them and love them to death. The only other IEM that I could offer a comparison to would be the PFE 112s, although I've had the Super.Fi 5s as well. The PFEs are a little warmer but not in the sense that they sound better.

The treble extends nicely and the bass is very clear and accurate. The mid bass is nice too, but it doesn't have a "hump" like the IE8s IMO.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #37 of 85
I'll throw in the Phonak PFEs. One of the most versatile IEMs in my opinion, I haven't tried any that can do Jazz/Classical well and also do Rock or Trance. The sound is refined enough that its as good as the 300 dollar IEMs (had the UM3x and TF10 to compare to) and according to your preference you might like them more. Instrument seperation is probably the PFEs strong point.

A marvel of sound engineering IMO, in some respects its learned to not rely on cramming in more drivers like other IEMs and instead refining the way one driver produces sound across the spectrum.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #38 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm im not sure the ck10 would be the best bet, their brightness makes them feel quite bass light, with a bass boost they could be suitable but non fatigueing erm not sure.

id think the RE252 could be what your wanting

Again, I don't hear them as bass lite at all, with the Sony X and a deep insertion sleeve like the Shure tri-flange (stalk trimmed). I used to use the EQ on the bass at +1, but since I moved to a deeper insertion sleeve, I stopped. I do believe in the case of the CK10s a good seal and the best fit are not the same thing. Believe me, I would use the EQ if I felt the bass was not there, but it's there. It's not there with the Klipsch gel, OEM tip or the Sony hybrids, but it is with the triple-flanges.

This is getting to be a tennis match on a couple of threads, but there are some HFers, including Average_Joe, AudioDwebe and a few newer CK10 owners who do not agree that the CK10s are bass light. There are different opinions on the issue, and every bit as credible. I would not be happy with the CK10s if I felt they were bass lite, believe me.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #39 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James-
Just fyi you can add shigzeo to your group of users/reviewers who've heard the bass the way you do. It was his main negative with them, even though he still regarded them highly for other strengths.

I've always found your reviews/impressions very valuable and impartial, and appreciate your willingness to state exactly what you hear, even if it goes against the majority. Your thoughts are also relevant to anyone who shares your sound preferences, or fit issues with IEM's.

Keep up the good work and good listening.

I believe Shigzeo has stated that the CK10s are his favorite universals, but I am paraphrasing. Which is why I got interested in these phones in the first place. There are two views of the CK10 "less filling, tastes great" debate, either is fine. But, as James notes, it's all just opinion based on preference, fit/seal, etc. Too many variables to control, and bottom line, there are some owners who do not feel the CK10s are bass lite, and their POV is just as valid. Time to put this debate to rest, I'd say. But every time someone says the CK10s are bass lite, I am entitled to disagree for the sake of presenting a balanced view of this IEM.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #41 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is getting to be a tennis match on a couple of threads...

Quote:

Time to put this debate to rest, I'd say.

Advantage tstarn06.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #42 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If speed and soundstage are sufficient for your idea of fun, you'll likely become one of the followers. But if your idea of fun includes lifelike bass, drums and an energetic presentation, I would not recommend the CK10 with a clear conscience.

I guess "speed" or "sondstage" or "bass" are majority choice people vote would vote for to choose fun factor. Surely, judging from its soundsignature which not focusing on low end, bass and drums will hurt a lot with no doubt, but they are just most of universal IEM flaws which doing some good while doing some bad.

I guess I wont say it is not a fun IEM if the speed/ soundstage can keep up with TF10 pro, at least it got two of fun factors, right?

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #44 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by true blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey tsarn06, do you find the soundstage/separation on the MTPG displaced/odd?

No, not at all. It's fine for me, but then again, I am not a soundstage maven. I didn't care for the UM3X because I felt it was closed in, but the MTPs don't sound odd or displaced to me. There have been 1-2 MTPG/C owners who said that, but I'm more on the side of those who find them spacious enough. I really like them, to be honest.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #45 of 85
Quote:

Well, my ears tell me I'm with javajive on this one, no surprise. Based on the OPs needs, I believe the CK10s could work for him. If the OP needs a little more bass (without using EQ), but wants detail and mids, then I agree with StereoIntegrity that the MTPGs also might also be a good option. Guess that's why I own them both.

I have had several top tier phones, and some lesser IEM as well price-wise, and I guess my definition of fun is different then some others here. I have a lot of fun listening to the CK10s. They are not overly analytical, like the ER4Ps, to my ears. I hear them differently, I guess, along with the list of other CK10 owners who have them, and like them a lot, and would not trade them for any of the other top tier universal IEMs.

It may be a moot point anyway, since they are almost impossible to find at $200.

Also, I would not use that Sound & Vision review for much of anything. If you read the entire thing, the guy makes plenty of mistakes on the phones he rates, based on reviews from HFers on those same IEMs.

ya i just received mine yesterday and have yet to use them( the MTPG and im waiting for burn in) but it could be what he is looking for....still its hard to judge what to get when u have 50+ people telling u different things...he just needs to pull the trigger and go off all the good suggestions.....

also the MTP golds can be had right now for 200$ with free shipping while the Coppers are no less then 320$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back