A fun, overall great sounding IEM with great details, large soundstage, and precise instrument separation? $200 budget
Feb 21, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #16 of 85
Uhh mvw2, I think there has been a huge misunderstanding. I was talking about the ER4s as being called boring, not the TF10s.
biggrin.gif
I am definitely considering the TF10s.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #17 of 85
I'm thinking UM3X too but it's $100 over your price range.
For $200, the TF10 is probably the best option, it has the bass you want unlike the CK10. The CK10 is a bit of a FOTM, or at least was until sources dried up. It's not really the fun sound you're looking for, it's like a more refined RE0.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #18 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean iponderous's post I do not believe that was directed at you but kunalraiker

I also would like to know if you have owned either or both CK10 and TF10. If your signature is accurate you have heard neither which makes it hard to recommend what you have not heard but only read.

The recommendation I made in my previous post was purely based on what I've read through 100 or so posts about the IEMs, I was in the similar position as the current OP member.
I did converse with few owners of the two IEMs.
You own both of them, what do you feel, am I wrong recommending the CK 10's

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #19 of 85
TF10 does sound like a good option if you can get a good fit. That's easily the biggest complaint on these things..it was really maddening for me how hard a fit it was until I put on some hybrids and did the flip mod.

I wouldn't go so far to call the CK10 a FOTM but it is pretty popular right now. It does a lot of things well and is liked by a lot of people who own them but I wouldn't call it a fun phone. (to those that saw me in the thread started by james..im actually using it as the proper term here and not my definition..i mention this since there are people who watch both here so include that as well). I feel like they have good bass quantity and quality but it may not be the same for the OP. There was a debate about that a few weeks ago about its bass.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #20 of 85
Well, the CK10 is kind of a FOTM, but not the bad kind, as far as I know the praise is deserved. It's just like the RE0 has been, though that's dying down a bit now.
If you know you want good bass, go for something you know will keep you happy. It gets frustrating if you keep buying IEMs looking for the right one, when you know exactly what you want but took a chance on something. That's what happened to me with the PFEs, they were popular at the time and were getting great reviews, but they weren't really for me.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People get bored of them I think because they aren't wild. They're well balanced, well refined, and dynamically tame. There isn't the wow factor there. They just perform well. It's something you don't realize until you use other products and then switch back to them. Every time you try something else and go back to them you realize how good they are, but you never really are aware of it when you're just using them. For example I had the IE8, UM3X, and SE530 as other earphones while I had my Triple.Fi 10. I had them all to simply try out for a few months and compare. The Triple.Fi 10 never really impressed in the sense that you say wow while you're listening. The IE8 had lots of bass, the UM3X and excellent sound stage and dynamics, and the SE530 outstand midrange and high detail. The Triple.Fi 10 was just sort of meh. However, every time you went back to the Triple.Fi 10 you could always see it was better overall. The balance and level of refinement was just better. I personally liked the UM3X the best but I'm a dynamics and sound stage whore, but from a functional, logical standpoint, I always saw the Triple.Fi 10 as the better product even though I enjoyed the UM3X more.

I think some people shy away from them because they do kind of break after a year or two. The cable can go bad and the glue used or the plastic itself seems to deteriorate/fatigue and break apart. It's really a matter of how you use them though, and it's not like glued plastic parts isn't uncommon in head-fi. It's just that Triple.Fi 10s are (were) not cheap and didn't last forever like they "should." Longevity is all in how you use it. I had an old set of generic Aiwa earbuds for damn near 20 years before the housing cracked one day (might have sat or stepped on them), 20 years! I really can't foresee my Triple.Fi 10s ever going back in the next few years simply because of how you use them. If you take them everywhere and toss them in your bag or pocket, you'll see a much shorter life expectancy.

Is the Triple.Fi 1o the best fit for you? I have no clue. Will you even like them? I don't know. All I can say is from a logical perspective, they are one of the better functioning options out there and one of the better values out there. For the $200 price limit, I can think of nothing else that is holistically better. Now I haven't used every earphone out there though, so my awareness of the entire spectrum of products is largely holed. For what I have used, I can really only suggest the Triple.Fi 10 as the most fitting.

If you want to look more, there are a number of reviews threads that have a LOT of the best options out there listed and explained in some detail.

It is interesting. I found UM3X have narrow soundstage and less dynamics, but better balanced and sweet vocal, while TF10 pro got more fun factor like soundstage/ dynamic.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the CK10 is kind of a FOTM, but not the bad kind, as far as I know the praise is deserved. It's just like the RE0 has been, though that's dying down a bit now.
If you know you want good bass, go for something you know will keep you happy. It gets frustrating if you keep buying IEMs looking for the right one, when you know exactly what you want but took a chance on something. That's what happened to me with the PFEs, they were popular at the time and were getting great reviews, but they weren't really for me.

x2. The CK10 is kind of a FOTM, but at the same time an excellent phone. Just like the PFEs and RE0s they will have their long term followers, IMO mainly among more analytical listeners. But just like with the PFEs and RE0s I predict threads like "Where's the bass?" and "Where's the fun?" will start popping up after the FOTM has died down. That's my message to the OP, the CK10 are fantastic IEMs, but they are a $200 investment, so just be careful if your looking for fun and bass.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #23 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. The CK10 is kind of a FOTM, but at the same time an excellent phone. Just like the PFEs and RE0s they will have their long term followers, IMO mainly among more analytical listeners. But just like with the PFEs and RE0s I predict threads like "Where's the bass?" and "Where's the fun?" will start popping up after the FOTM has died down. That's my message to the OP, the CK10 are fantastic IEMs, but they are a $200 investment, so just be careful if your looking for fun and bass.

Ck 10 has no fun factor? I am confused. Heard they are pretty fast and good soudnstage IEM

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #24 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The recommendation I made in my previous post was purely based on what I've read through 100 or so posts about the IEMs, I was in the similar position as the current OP member.
I did converse with few owners of the two IEMs.
You own both of them, what do you feel, am I wrong recommending the CK 10's

So not only are you comfortable recommending earphones to people that you have not heard yourself, you make no attempt to qualify your recommendations accordingly. What value do you think you are adding by engaging in this practice?

I would also like to know why you have recommended the TF10 as a $200 IEM for the OP's consideration in this thread, yet you stated that it was not worth that amount in another.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #25 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ck 10 has no fun factor? I am confused. Heard they are pretty fast and good soudnstage IEM

If speed and soundstage are sufficient for your idea of fun, you'll likely become one of the followers. But if your idea of fun includes lifelike bass, drums and an energetic presentation, I would not recommend the CK10 with a clear conscience.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #27 of 85
james444, I have no doubt you are getting a proper seal with the DIY tip combo you mentioned and that bass and drums are sounding unnatural for an IEM for you .

But just because you are getting a proper seal does not mean in itself you are getting proper sound with that seal.

To say that bass, drums sound unlifelike in relation to what an IEM can recreate is simply not the case. You might want to keep on experimenting as you seem, perhaps, somewhat alone in your views on this as others have pointed out that for an IEM, the opposite is true.

Also, I`m a bit confused when it comes to trying to reconcile your views that they are excellent IEMs yet produce bass, drums in an unlifelike manner and are incapable of an energetic presentation.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #28 of 85
I would def reccomend the tf10 if a large soundstage and great details are something you're looking for. And i don't agree with mvw2 , when i hear the tf-10 it wows me time after time, huge soundstage, great details , i auditioned the um3x, ie8 and se530, and i have to say , IMO i liked the tf10 the best for its sparkly highs, tight bass . And the mids are not as recessed as people make it out to be, its just not very forward. I think the impact of drums is potrayed very well and realistically, it sure is addictive. Then again, i am using a tf10 with es2 cables,and I hear the current batch of tf10s is nonsense , breaking down easily, lousy sounding cables and so on, so you might wanna consider that too.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #29 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is interesting. I found UM3X have narrow soundstage and less dynamics, but better balanced and sweet vocal, while TF10 pro got more fun factor like soundstage/ dynamic.

Unlike mvw2, coming from the UM3X to the TF10 was anything but "meh" for me; quite the opposite actually. I think that description is more appropriately applied to the sound signature of the UM3X, with its closed-in and rather lifeless presentation. I find it hard to comprehend how a self-confessed "dynamics and soundstage whore" as mvw2 describes himself, would choose the UM3X over the TF10. I am still puzzled by mvw2's use of the term "dynamics" in his posts, when describing the sound traits of IEMs that he has listened to.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #30 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by javajive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
james444, I have no doubt you are getting a proper seal with the DIY tip combo you mentioned and that bass and drums are sounding unnatural for an IEM for you .

But just because you are getting a proper seal does not mean in itself you are getting proper sound with that seal.

To say that bass, drums sound unlifelike in relation to what an IEM can recreate is simply not the case. You might want to keep on experimenting as you seem, perhaps, somewhat alone in your views on this as others have pointed out that for an IEM, the opposite is true.

Also, I`m a bit confused when it comes to trying to reconcile your views that they are excellent IEMs yet produce bass, drums in an unlifelike manner and are incapable of an energetic presentation.

javajive, it's just an opinion, like yours or anybody else's. Also, I couldn't care less whether I'm alone with it or not, it's what my ears tell me. Interestingly I have several other IEMs that can reproduce much more realistic bass and drums and portray energetic music significantly better than the CK10. All with the same proper seal, judging by the same ears - so how would you explain that?

BTW it's not even true that I'm the only one, you can find similar opinions here, here and here.

Long story short, I stand by my opinion that the CK10 are excellent IEMs for analytical listening, when you value detail, clarity, seperation and imaging above all else - no more, no less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back