A free parametric equalizer for Windows Vista, 7, and 8 that doesn't need ASIO or VST, it works inline at the OS level
Feb 23, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #106 of 172

Quote:
  Need some feedback on simple bass boost settings. The bass sounds pretty good, but I guess there is a science to this stuff so any recommendations is most welcome:

Filter Settings file
Room EQ V5,01
Dated: 29.02.2012 20:04:50
Notes:Simple bass boost
Equaliser: Generic
No measurement
Filter  1: ON  PK       Fc    20,0 Hz  Gain   4,0 dB  Q  1,00
Filter  2: ON  PK       Fc    35,0 Hz  Gain   4,0 dB  Q  2,76
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc    50,0 Hz  Gain   4,0 dB  Q  4,00  
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc    70,0 Hz  Gain   3,0 dB  Q  5,00  
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc    100,0 Hz  Gain  2,0 dB  Q  10,00

Your bass boost EQ looks like this:

You could try if this sounds about the same: Filter 1: ON PEQ Fc 30 Hz Gain 5,97 dB Q 0,400

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #108 of 172
Better explanation of filter types than in the wiki for Equalizer APO please!

"The filter types supported cover all filters of the "Generic" and the "FBQ2496" equalizer type. Other equalizer types may also be compatible if their filter text format is." 

The above is from the Equalizer APO wiki just above where it starts to explain the filters however I find the explanations that follow wanting in a big way.

Does anybody know where I could find a better explanation of the filter types Equalizer APO uses? Or knows how I could find better explanations or search for them I'm having great trouble finding adequate explanations? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #109 of 172
Hello man you did a very good job thanks a lot and keep it up 
beyersmile.png
darthsmile.gif
k701smile.gif
L3000.gif

wink.gif
respect

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #110 of 172
  Better explanation of filter types than in the wiki for Equalizer APO please!

"The filter types supported cover all filters of the "Generic" and the "FBQ2496" equalizer type. Other equalizer types may also be compatible if their filter text format is." 

The above is from the Equalizer APO wiki just above where it starts to explain the filters however I find the explanations that follow wanting in a big way.

Does anybody know where I could find a better explanation of the filter types Equalizer APO uses? Or knows how I could find better explanations or search for them I'm having great trouble finding adequate explanations? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I am wondering if I found a small part of the answer I seek about filters of type FBQ2496 mentioned in my quote above from the wiki for Equalizer APO. I am thinking from seeing this post , I am picturing, from Amazon.com that FBQ2496 types of filters refers to the filters of Behringer model FBQ2496 parametric equalizer as posted on Amazon.com.

OK I can't find Behringer model FBQ2496 manual on their website but is available on another website in PDF form.

Unfortunately downloading the manual of the Behringer model FBQ2496 is not giving much additional information about the filters available.
mad.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #111 of 172
Is there any benefit in lowering the setting Preamp: -9 dB ?

By doing that, I can put the laptop @ 100% volume and able to use the portable amp at about 50%.. Otherwise, it gets too loud too quick. Is this an ok strategy to get the most out of the amp? I seems to sound better this way.

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #112 of 172

By doing that, I can put the laptop @ 100% volume and able to use the portable amp at about 50%.. Otherwise, it gets too loud too quick. Is this an ok strategy to get the most out of the amp? I seems to sound better this way.

That's fine. If you lowered the preamp much more, you might raise the noise floor relative to the music, so you'd hear more noise.

You can just reduce the volume on the amp, nothing wrong with that.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #113 of 172

Ideally you want the preamp to balance out your highest boosted frequency so it ends up at 0DB. This effectively turns the boost into 0DB, and everything else into a cut, which is what you want for a natural sound. By doing this you ensure you never encounter distortion from the DAC, which is a very unpleasing kind of square wave.

You can sometimes get away with a few DB of boost like a bass boost at 6db and a preamp at -3 (leading to 3db of boost) because not every song is going to saturate that frequency range, but it's not worth it. You'll forget you did it, encounter a track that DOES distort and go nuts trying to figure out what broke.

Keep 1 thing in mind though, the Q settings can sometimes be wide enough that the boosts overlap, boosting the boost. IE you have 60hz +6db, and 70hz +4db but their Q's are wider than 10, 65hz would overlap and be +8 or +9db. Therefor your preamp would need to be -9db even though you were only boosting 6db max.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #114 of 172
I don't think this has already been posted - I found a very simple GUI for EQ/APO here: http://linge-ma.ws/equalizer-apo-config-gui/ works very nicely and is extremely simple to use, but a bit lacking in features.
I'm going to give jiteepee's a go too, plus any others I find.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #115 of 172

Ideally you want the preamp to balance out your highest boosted frequency so it ends up at 0DB. This effectively turns the boost into 0DB, and everything else into a cut, which is what you want for a natural sound. By doing this you ensure you never encounter distortion from the DAC, which is a very unpleasing kind of square wave.

You can sometimes get away with a few DB of boost like a bass boost at 6db and a preamp at -3 (leading to 3db of boost) because not every song is going to saturate that frequency range, but it's not worth it. You'll forget you did it, encounter a track that DOES distort and go nuts trying to figure out what broke.

Keep 1 thing in mind though, the Q settings can sometimes be wide enough that the boosts overlap, boosting the boost. IE you have 60hz +6db, and 70hz +4db but their Q's are wider than 10, 65hz would overlap and be +8 or +9db. Therefor your preamp would need to be -9db even though you were only boosting 6db max.

Equalizer APO says something about the filters in its wiki which is supposed to explain Equalize APO, but the documentation for Equalize APO filters does not satisfy me. You obviously know something about Equalize APO filters. Where did you find that information? How do you know it? Could you help me find out about how Equalize APO filters work?

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #116 of 172
  I don't think this has already been posted - I found a very simple GUI for EQ/APO here: http://linge-ma.ws/equalizer-apo-config-gui/ works very nicely and is extremely simple to use, but a bit lacking in features.
I'm going to give jiteepee's a go too, plus any others I find.

Sweet!

edit

never mind, it won't run for me. Get an error pop up.

edit

works swell

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #117 of 172
  Equalizer APO says something about the filters in its wiki which is supposed to explain Equalize APO, but the documentation for Equalize APO filters does not satisfy me. You obviously know something about Equalize APO filters. Where did you find that information? How do you know it? Could you help me find out about how Equalize APO filters work?

You get all info for common filters (peak, notch, lowpass, highpass, bandpass, lowshelf, highself, allpass) and theory behind them through google and wikipedia (use google for to search). If you want deeper information then maybe you should look the JOS's site @ https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~Jos/pasp/Index_this_Document.html

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #118 of 172
Have to thank you for this awesome gui, jiiteepee.

I have one suggestion, which I think would be a nice addition.
Since my hearing is not equally good on both ears,
I'm constantly using some kind of channel balance.

Would love to see a balance slider or the possiblity to control
the preamp separately for L/R.

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #119 of 172
  Have to thank you for this awesome gui, jiiteepee.

I have one suggestion, which I think would be a nice addition.
Since my hearing is not equally good on both ears,
I'm constantly using some kind of channel balance.

Would love to see a balance slider or the possiblity to control
the preamp separately for L/R.

You're welcome.

Separate L/R control is already in ToDo list but, it's quite a lot of work to do so it takes some time to finish (ATM, I'm little busy with couple other hardware DIY projects) ... but certainly later this spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back