A free parametric equalizer for Windows Vista, 7, and 8 that doesn't need ASIO or VST, it works inline at the OS level
Mar 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #121 of 172

Sweet!

edit

never mind, it won't run for me. Get an error pop up.

edit

works swell

I think you're saying that works in the end - great!
I have to say that I'm using jiteepee's now, it's got a lot more control and the visual element to the EQ is very helpeful, especially the loading image feature, that's super useful.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #123 of 172
Quote:
  Equalizer APO says something about the filters in its wiki which is supposed to explain Equalize APO, but the documentation for Equalize APO filters does not satisfy me. You obviously know something about Equalize APO filters. Where did you find that information? How do you know it? Could you help me find out about how Equalize APO filters work?

Quote:

You get all info for common filters (peak, notch, lowpass, highpass, bandpass, lowshelf, highself, allpass) and theory behind them through google and wikipedia (use google for to search). If you want deeper information then maybe you should look the JOS's site @ https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~Jos/pasp/Index_this_Document.html

Below is Quote from the Equalizer APO wiki

"Filter types

The following table lists the filter types supported by Equalizer APO since version 0.8.1. The columns Fc, Gain and Q/BW show the parameters supported by the filter type. An 'X' means that the parameter is required while an 'O' denotes an optional parameter. The filter types supported cover all filters of the "Generic" and the "FBQ2496" equalizer type. Other equalizer types may also be compatible if their filter text format is. There is one exception however: The band-pass filter supported by Equalizer APO is a real band-pass filter that does not support gain, like low/high-pass filters, but unlike the DCX2496's "BP" filter, which is actually a peaking filter."

I am reposting my question (first quote above) because the first reply to my question from jiiteepee (second quote) gave me a answer which is not working for me. jiiteepee said I could find all I want to know about filters from Google and Wikipedia, but what Google and Wikipedia gives me are very mathematical equations of what filters are. I highlighted in orange what I am trying to find out which is to put another way what is this "Other equalizer types may also be compatible if their filter text format is" mean? I mean I seek some sort of text to filter graph dictionary which explains changes in filter graph with changes in text.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #124 of 172

Below is Quote from the Equalizer APO wiki

"Filter types

The following table lists the filter types supported by Equalizer APO since version 0.8.1. The columns Fc, Gain and Q/BW show the parameters supported by the filter type. An 'X' means that the parameter is required while an 'O' denotes an optional parameter. The filter types supported cover all filters of the "Generic" and the "FBQ2496" equalizer type. Other equalizer types may also be compatible if their filter text format is. There is one exception however: The band-pass filter supported by Equalizer APO is a real band-pass filter that does not support gain, like low/high-pass filters, but unlike the DCX2496's "BP" filter, which is actually a peaking filter."

I am reposting my question (first quote above) because the first reply to my question from jiiteepee (second quote) gave me a answer which is not working for me. jiiteepee said I could find all I want to know about filters from Google and Wikipedia, but what Google and Wikipedia gives me are very mathematical equations of what filters are. I highlighted in orange what I am trying to find out which is to put another way what is this "Other equalizer types may also be compatible if their filter text format is" mean? I mean I seek some sort of text to filter graph dictionary which explains changes in filter graph with changes in text.

So you mean options for Equalizer: -parameter.
I suppose you get the information of other types from here: http://www.roomeqwizard.com/wizardhelpv5/help_en-GB/html/equaliser.html#top and some info over supported filters from http://www.roomeqwizard.com/wizardhelpv5/help_en-GB/html/eqfilters.html#top

Sure you understand what the criteria "compatible filter text format" means.

Do you really need a dictionary for those most common parameters (frequency, Q/BW, gain)? You could also use the FPEQGUI-10MC for closer learning....

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #125 of 172
I used this config with my etymotic er4s when i haven't got a filters. This does exactly what green filter does

Filter : ON  PEQ     Fc 2735 Hz   Gain -14,86 dB  Q 0,547
Filter : ON  PEQ     Fc 898 Hz   Gain 4,29 dB  Q 0,864
Filter : ON  PEQ     Fc 5598 Hz   Gain 3,71 dB  Q 2,154
Filter : ON  PEQ     Fc 5170 Hz   Gain -1,43 dB  Q 2,361
Filter : ON  PEQ     Fc 7397 Hz   Gain 4,29 dB  Q 3,105

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #126 of 172
I’m finding SQ is significantly better using the Wasapi/ASIO a-synchronize driver and disabling Windows audio services. Unfortunately this also means APO stops working. I’d be very interested in a fix for this.  

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #129 of 172
Room EQ Wizard and this Equalizer APO program are both awesome!

This is a before and after of my near field speaker rig with an 8 band PEQ. The blue is of course the after, and the red is the before.

The blue trace by itself. It's +/-5db from 180hz to 20khz and then a moderate boost on the low end for fun. This is with no acoustic panels in the room at all. 1/6 octave smoothing.  

If I could tame the dips at 125hz, 300hz, and 650hz a little more, then it would be really flat. 

Here is what I'm using:

Filter Settings file
Room EQ V5.00
Dated: Apr 30, 2014 7:55:25 PM
Notes:4-30-14 8 band PEQ
Equaliser: Generic
Apr 30 19:33:26
Filter  1: ON  PK       Fc    67.0 Hz  Gain  -3.5 dB  Q 11.00
Filter  2: ON  PK       Fc     110 Hz  Gain   3.0 dB  Q  2.00
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc     152 Hz  Gain  -8.0 dB  Q 10.00
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc     275 Hz  Gain   2.0 dB  Q  3.00
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc     410 Hz  Gain  -6.0 dB  Q  4.50
Filter  6: ON  PK       Fc     650 Hz  Gain   2.0 dB  Q  3.00
Filter  7: ON  PK       Fc   1,400 Hz  Gain  -3.0 dB  Q  3.00
Filter  8: ON  PK       Fc   5,700 Hz  Gain  -2.0 dB  Q  3.00

May 1, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #130 of 172

The blue trace by itself. It's +/-5db from 180hz to 20khz and then a moderate boost on the low end for fun. This is with no acoustic panels in the room at all. 1/6 octave smoothing.  

If I could tame the dips at 125hz, 300hz, and 650hz a little more, then it would be really flat. 

Here is what I'm using:

Filter Settings file
Room EQ V5.00
Dated: Apr 30, 2014 7:55:25 PM
Notes:4-30-14 8 band PEQ
Equaliser: Generic
Apr 30 19:33:26
Filter  1: ON  PK       Fc    67.0 Hz  Gain  -3.5 dB  Q 11.00
Filter  2: ON  PK       Fc     110 Hz  Gain   3.0 dB  Q  2.00
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc     152 Hz  Gain  -8.0 dB  Q 10.00
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc     275 Hz  Gain   2.0 dB  Q  3.00
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc     410 Hz  Gain  -6.0 dB  Q  4.50
Filter  6: ON  PK       Fc     650 Hz  Gain   2.0 dB  Q  3.00
Filter  7: ON  PK       Fc   1,400 Hz  Gain  -3.0 dB  Q  3.00
Filter  8: ON  PK       Fc   5,700 Hz  Gain  -2.0 dB  Q  3.00

You could try by adding lines after those filtters you get the blue line in your graphics:

Channel: 1 2
Preamp: 0,00 dB
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 30 Hz   Gain -6,00 dB  BW Oct 0,682
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 50 Hz   Gain -4,29 dB  BW Oct 0,351
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 90 Hz   Gain 5,43 dB  BW Oct 0,373
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 112 Hz   Gain -4,86 dB  BW Oct 0,868
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 223 Hz   Gain 9,83 dB  BW Oct 0,682
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 535 Hz   Gain 9,14 dB  BW Oct 0,642
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 2000 Hz   Gain 6,00 dB  BW Oct 0,922
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 4000 Hz   Gain 5,14 dB  BW Oct 0,421
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 8113 Hz   Gain 4,38 dB  BW Oct 0,500
Filter : ON  PEQ  Fc 20000 Hz   Gain 5,43 dB  BW Oct 0,396

If needed, adjust the final gain by changing the Preamp value.

May 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #131 of 172
Do you know where I could get equalizer APO installation help or could you give it a try if you know.

I used to have equalizer APO installed but after I got the much better Sennheiser HD 600s headphones. I stopped using it. But I thought I would give it another try before trying tube rolling to improve my sound. Consequently I have been trying to reinstall it and have been getting the message below. So do you know how to solve this or can suggest where I might get some technical installation support.

Error while opening registry key
Hkey_local_machine\software\equalizerAPO\child APOS:
the system cannot find the file specified.

I have already tried uninstalling and installing it several times, but it does not help. 

May 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #132 of 172
I was able to get it looking a lot better with more time and practice learning REW. This is an average of 6 different distances from my desk. I don't always sit quite the same distance, but it's all within about a foot and a half. I also put a big 36" x 24" x 6" bass trap along the wall behind the speakers centered between them which helped even out the response a little bit as well. It sounds better than anything I've ever heard now. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #133 of 172
I have not been able to get Equalizer APO to work after reading every page on this thread, plus the whole documentation wiki.  I upgraded my computer recently, but my new mobo doesn't have a PCI slot, and that's what my old good soundcard is.  Until I can afford a PCIe soundcard, I want to use the decent onboard realtek audio.  Hell, if I can get this working, it would be better than any of the software that came with the sound card. 

I have gone into control panel and made sure that "disable all sound effects" is not checked, and on the advanced tab, it does not have a checkbox for enable audio enhancements

I used the configurator to install and uninstall, rebooting after each one, twice.

I'm using Kodhifi 's suggestion to set the Preamp to a drastic -20 dB, but volume is not changed.  Adding filled in lines from the demo.txt, or changing anything in the config.txt file results in nothing.

I'm running Win 7 64 pro.  Any suggestions?

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #134 of 172
Can't get it to work with spotify, so much for system-wide 
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #135 of 172
works with spotify for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back