A few newbie questions
Dec 30, 2010 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

the hulk

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi!

I've decided to purchase some nice headphones for a little better music-listening experience.
I listen mainly to Rock and Metal (Metallica, ACDC, Cheap Trick, Airbourne, The Offspring) but I also ocasionally enjoy some pop (Gaga) and rap (Eminem).

My budget would be $150 for headphones.
I'm also guessing an integrated soundcard will not be the best choice for music listening. Could you recommend me a sound card? ($100 budget) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102032&cm_re=soundblaster-_-29-102-032-_-Product this one looks nice.. and it's USB.

Also is there any way I could extend the cable, since the headphones usually come with about a 3m long cable and I'd need about 5m. (should I go wireless?)

That's all for now.
Hope you'll help me answer some of these questions.

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Do not go wireless.

I can't advice you on soundcards.

On the headphones, rock/metal sound great on Grado according to many head-fiers. I'm definitely one of them. If you'r willing to spend 199, SR225's are seriously good headphones. If you spend less that that, I would go for SR80's and keep some of that 150 in your pocket.

For a longer cable, buy a decent exention cable.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I'm also guessing an integrated soundcard will not be the best choice for music listening. Could you recommend me a sound card? ($100 budget) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102032&cm_re=soundblaster-_-29-102-032-_-Product this one looks nice.. and it's USB.

Also is there any way I could extend the cable, since the headphones usually come with about a 3m long cable and I'd need about 5m. (should I go wireless?)

External sound cards are also commonly known as DACs (digital to analog converters). You can find out more in the Dedicated Source forum here on head-fi. I don't know much about the Creative that you linked to, but I'm sure there's a thread about it. Popular recommendations are the uDAC, the FiiO E7, and the Audinst HUD-mx1. I suggest placing more value on recommendations from people who have personally heard the DACs (i.e. not me) and have compared them with other DACs.

Another option is to get a long USB cable, or USB extension cable. That way you can still have the DAC relatively close by and use the volume knob from your listening location.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:

Quote:

External sound cards are also commonly known as DACs (digital to analog converters). You can find out more in the Dedicated Source forum here on head-fi. I don't know much about the Creative that you linked to, but I'm sure there's a thread about it. Popular recommendations are the uDAC, the FiiO E7, and the Audinst HUD-mx1. I suggest placing more value on recommendations from people who have personally heard the DACs (i.e. not me) and have compared them with other DACs.

Another option is to get a long USB cable, or USB extension cable. That way you can still have the DAC relatively close by and use the volume knob from your listening location.

Thanks a lot :)
Also thanks for the suggestions so far.
I'm really tempted to get the Alessandro MS1 headphones but I'm a little worried because I'm from Slovenia, Europe and if
Alessandro's warehouse is located in the US (which i'm almost certain it is) I will have to pay customs :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back