A discussion about phones and tablets
Mar 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #106 of 163
benchmarks speak for a lot of mobile performance.. why? because the OS and how efficent it is and what not shows up in the tests and how the apps are run (DVM on android) also show up as a performance..loss

so basically the overal fluidity of Android is already less than Apples due to Apple's running in realtime priority and android's not. The apps and programs performance are shown in these bench's and all that's left is the browser which is also shown. plz note this is just performance, not how you like it or anything

these two are mainly browser performance but the optomization and coding of the browser also matters and hardware boosts scores

here is the single thread run for Samsung SG2, Linpack is the same for both devices so it is comparable

here it is for the 4S

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #108 of 163
End Thread? That is up to Totaly Dubbed to descide and even then..you can't truly end a thread.

All that we've learned these past few days is........CHOOSE THE FRICKING PHONE AND WHATEVER YOU LIKE. My last post was just to show that hardware does not equal better performance and the benchmarks were to show that. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #109 of 163

Quote:

yeah please stop trolling.

Quote:
End Thread? That is up to Totaly Dubbed to descide and even then..you can't truly end a thread.

All that we've learned these past few days is........CHOOSE THE FRICKING PHONE AND WHATEVER YOU LIKE. My last post was just to show that hardware does not equal better performance and the benchmarks were to show that. 

Nah there is never an end - unless people have nothing to say.

For your test.
Now I can't emphasise it enough:
(and i know for OC'ers numbers mean everything)
I used to one of those that went via benchmarks - but it hit me very quickly that benchmarks on my SGS i9000 meant jack.
Now I'm NOT comparing it to OTHER devices.
I literally mean from one ROM to the OTHER.

So I'm not saying the 4 or 4s is faster or slower - i have no idea about that, I can go via specs + my own personal experience.
So on one ROM, i would get 3200 as a benchmark score, whereas in another I would get 1200
HUGE HUGE difference (this was testing mainly GPU, and quite a lot of CPU via FPS)
Now the 1200 was much more fuid, had less lag, and was on EXT4 - whereas the other one, to trick "noobs" in thinking it was fast, was running on EXT2, and was much more laggy.

When that day hit me, I stopped using benchmarks all together on phones.

I understand on PC's especially OC'ing its almost essential to bench - not only for bragging rights, but for testing your stability. 

Another thing that i forgot to mention, or was briefly mentioned in this thread is the following:
-iOS is made for how many devices?
-Android is made for how many devices?

No wonder iOS is much more fluid, especially the UI - as its optimised for certain devices, whereas android isn't - so on 2 phones, from 2 different brands, running the same firmware - and same specs, internally, 1 might run smoother than the other.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #110 of 163

Quote:
yeah please stop trolling.

Nah there is never an end - unless people have nothing to say.

For your test.
Now I can't emphasise it enough:
(and i know for OC'ers numbers mean everything)
I used to one of those that went via benchmarks - but it hit me very quickly that benchmarks on my SGS i9000 meant jack.
Now I'm NOT comparing it to OTHER devices.
I literally mean from one ROM to the OTHER.

So I'm not saying the 4 or 4s is faster or slower - i have no idea about that, I can go via specs + my own personal experience.
So on one ROM, i would get 3200 as a benchmark score, whereas in another I would get 1200
HUGE HUGE difference (this was testing mainly GPU, and quite a lot of CPU via FPS)
Now the 1200 was much more fuid, had less lag, and was on EXT4 - whereas the other one, to trick "noobs" in thinking it was fast, was running on EXT2, and was much more laggy.

When that day hit me, I stopped using benchmarks all together on phones.

I understand on PC's especially OC'ing its almost essential to bench - not only for bragging rights, but for testing your stability. 

Another thing that i forgot to mention, or was briefly mentioned in this thread is the following:
-iOS is made for how many devices?
-Android is made for how many devices?

No wonder iOS is much more fluid, especially the UI - as its optimised for certain devices, whereas android isn't - so on 2 phones, from 2 different brands, running the same firmware - and same specs, internally, 1 might run smoother than the other.

YOU hit the mark :) like i said about DVM. Android can't maintain and do and keep fluidity and performance BECAUSE of how many devices it has to support. But the point is that on standard ROM's with system resources set to how the system wan'ts to use it so it's not lagging, the 4S is "faster" but really. just use the fricking phone you like.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #111 of 163

Quote:
YOU hit the mark :) like i said about DVM. Android can't maintain and do and keep fluidity and performance BECAUSE of how many devices it has to support. But the point is that on standard ROM's with system resources set to how the system wan'ts to use it so it's not lagging, the 4S is "faster" but really. just use the fricking phone you like.

Well a rooted phone + EXT4 is MUCH faster than a stock rom.
How is jailbreaking in terms of speed?

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #112 of 163

Quote:

Well a rooted phone + EXT4 is MUCH faster than a stock rom.
How is jailbreaking in terms of speed?

^ i haven't done it on any recent phone's and really i wouldn't say it has much improvement. it's legal for the reason that it only modifies select and very small pieces of code so one COULD argue that by itself there is little speed boost. but some apps from cydia or something could boost it and what not.. maybe overclock. odn't know as i don't care for jailbreaking and dont follow it's news.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #113 of 163

Quote:
^ i haven't done it on any recent phone's and really i wouldn't say it has much improvement. it's legal for the reason that it only modifies select and very small pieces of code so one COULD argue that by itself there is little speed boost. but some apps from cydia or something could boost it and what not.. maybe overclock. odn't know as i don't care for jailbreaking and dont follow it's news.

well rooting + lagfix, let alone OC'ing speeds up the phone 10fold.
On my SGS

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #114 of 163

Quote:
well rooting + lagfix, let alone OC'ing speeds up the phone 10fold.
On my SGS

IT's hard to compare that to other phones and even compare it then as it is mainly personal opinion, but whatever you feel is best man. But yeah, just to let you know the 4S has some ...serious muscle.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #116 of 163

Quote:
being an apple fan boy that's not hard to presume you would say that LOL

being an apple fan boy.....i would say that LOL

We've been on forums together for a bit now. haha

Really..i like the member's lounge better. You can just lose the air of profesionalism that you have to give off when you are in the regular forums.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #117 of 163

Quote:
IT's hard to compare that to other phones and even compare it then as it is mainly personal opinion, but whatever you feel is best man. But yeah, just to let you know the 4S has some ...serious muscle.

It's optimized to look like it, but under the hood, you will see that the cake can be a lie.  Anyway, benchmarks don't mean jack between hardware, the only thing that they are useful for is to compare different configurations of the same hardware otherwise you will have a biased result.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #118 of 163

Quote:
It's optimized to look like it, but under the hood, you will see that the cake can be a lie.  Anyway, benchmarks don't mean jack between hardware, the only thing that they are useful for is to compare different configurations of the same hardware otherwise you will have a biased result.

even then its not consistent. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #119 of 163

Quote:

that is a lot more true in the desktop world. in the mobile world, so many factors get thrown out that benchmarks mean a lot more. They all use the same CPU with little avriants and speeds in differnt Soc Packages

Quote:

even then its not consistent. 

it's more consistent in mobile..a lot more since everything gets stripped away

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #120 of 163
The problem I have with the benchmarks is that I haven't seen that translated into real world differences. My mom has a 4S and it seems similar in terms of performance to my phone. Mind you, I haven't really done anything demanding on her phone but it seems to perform similarly to my phone doing the same/similar tasks. Of course, the important comparison would be between using really demanding tasks to see a difference. I just can't say I've seen the iphone do anything that a high end android device couldn't handle similarly.

I will admit that apple clearly does a better job of getting more from the hardware used. As discussed before, I also think this is partially at the sacrifice of some advantages of android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back