A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Aug 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #616 of 856
If you like monitor-type headphones, the KRK KNS8400 offers superior resolution to the M50 at a similar price point. It also bests the M50 in the comfort field, and comes from a company with a much more responsive service department than A-T's. The Sony MDR-ZX700 is also comparable in sound from what I remember of it, but I haven't spent as much time with it as I should to give a full comparison.

If you want a fun-sounding and bassy headphones, there are a large number of options out there that equal or best the M50. The M-Audio Q40 is bassier than the M50 with similar build quality, and while is doesn't have quite the detail of the M50 it tends to be sold for slightly less than the A-T at any given time, and its bass reaches a little deeper than the ATH-M50's does as well as having more punch. Models comparable to the M50 with a V-signature include Ultrasone's HFI580 and HFI780. The HFI580 is somewhere between the M50 and Q40 in sound signature and detail retrieval, and the HFI780 has both more bass and more detail than the M50. At a bit higher price point, the Beyerdynamic DT770 beats out the Audio-Technica in detail, bass slam, deep FR, and even durability.

Nice review :) I'm sure this will get some people off of a dead set m50 opinion for a first nice can which is good. I had the m50 and loved it but it really overshadows a lot of great cans that are better for some people although I am seeing they are starting to get a little more well deserved light. I am curious to your claim of the dt770 being more durable. My m50 went through absolute hell and were fine. I sold them because they are more of a dj studio beater can rather than an audiophile one. They sound good though

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #617 of 856
I'm waiting for a few extra $$$ to complete the purchase of the set of KRK KNS8400's I have in my cart on Amazon. I'm totally intrigued,... 
beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #619 of 856
Aug 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #620 of 856
Quote:
The KNS option sound tempting. What about Fostex T50RP and their Mad Dog version?

The T50RP is great for much less money than the M50 if you wish to modify it yourself, and the Mad Dog, BMF, Paradox, and ZMF all blow the M50 out of the water but will cost you significantly more.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #621 of 856
Quote:
Nice review
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure this will get some people off of a dead set m50 opinion for a first nice can which is good. I had the m50 and loves it but it really overshadows a lot of great cans that are better for some people although I am seeing they are starting to get a little more well deserved light. I am curious to your claim of the dt770 being more durable. My m50 went through absolute hell and were fine. I sold them because they are more of a dj studio beater can rather than an audiophile one. They sound good though

My brother has an M50 and I owned the DT770 for almost two years and without a doubt in my mind the 770s sounded better than the M50. Perhaps the M50 would have impressed me more, but with their uber closed in sound stage I just found I could not relax into the music, so perhaps my evaluation of their true sound character is skewed. Regardless, the 770s were surprisingly capable and to my ears musical. I also owned an 880 600ohm version for a few years and again the 770 was still very nice, but not as capable of course.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #622 of 856
I found the 770's were like a more refined big brother that the m50 looked up.to.
My brother has an M50 and I owned the DT770 for almost two years and without a doubt in my mind the 770s sounded better than the M50. Perhaps the M50 would have impressed me more, but with their uber closed in sound stage I just found I could not relax into the music, so perhaps my evaluation of their true sound character is skewed. Regardless, the 770s were surprisingly capable and to my ears musical. I also owned an 880 600ohm version for a few years and again the 770 was still very nice, but not as capable of course.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #624 of 856
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #625 of 856
I am an aspiring Audiophile but I have a long ways to go.  I have been in the market for a new pair of headphones.  Well after several days of comparing headphones in the price range up to $350, for me it came down to the DT770 and the M50.  The are many attributes that I really liked about the 770 such as the sweet sounding lower frequencies and smooth top end and also it was very comfortable.  I really wanted to like the 770 but I was not appreciating the restrained mids.  It seemed the singers voice was taking a back seat to the musical instruments.  I don't understand why Beyerdynamics tuned this phone that way.

In the end, I chose the M50 as it was the best all around sounding headphone to me.  The base is a little more aggressive to what I am used to, but I welcome the difference.  It is kinda of ironic that after listening to maybe 35 pairs of headphones I ended up with the cheapest of the bunch at $94.  I love my M50s so far and after I receive my Fiio E07K next week, I hope the love affair continues.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #626 of 856
I find that the thing that determines the midrange of a headphone is the amp that is powering the headphone more so than the headphone itself.

Usually recessed mids can be attributed to a headphone being inadequately amp'ed. It may still go fairly loud, but the mids sound somewhat withdrawn.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #627 of 856
The sad thing is in my opinion the M50 is the nicest looking headphone on the market. It's a shame the looks don't match the sound. I wish I could blend the AKG 550 sound with the looks and portability of the M50.

I think the M50 is nice enough looking for what it is (a closed-back DJ/tracking phone), but there are certainly better looking headphones, IMO.

The HE-400 and HE-500 are some of my favorites. Pure simplicity, without gimmicks, bling, or gaudy colors. They have a very clear design language, one which, IMO, is timeless.

I guess it all depends on what you value aesthetically, of course.

I agree with you, both the HiFiman are clean and simple. I find beauty in simplicity and minimalist designs.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #628 of 856
I find it interesting that Orkboy thought the M50 looked better than his K550. I really, really like the looks of the K550. I bought it based on looks and didn't like its sound enough to keep, actually.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #629 of 856
Quote:
I find that the thing that determines the midrange of a headphone is the amp that is powering the headphone more so than the headphone itself.

Usually recessed mids can be attributed to a headphone being inadequately amp'ed. It may still go fairly loud, but the mids sound somewhat withdrawn.

This may be true for your experiences. The akg semi-open models and most any open backed headphones I would agree with you on this point, However I have found most "low end" closed backs have more than enough power coming from, say an ipod.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #630 of 856
I don't think anyone actually ever claimed the M50 to be 'king'. meanwhile since the DT770 has come up, in what ways do you all think it's an improvement over the M50, specifically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back