A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Sep 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #646 of 856

Not even Velour helped the M50. It made the music sound cold, shrill, and distorted to my ears. However, I heard using electrical tape to seal up the Pores on the back of the pads helps give its intended sound signature.

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #649 of 856
Not even Velour helped the M50. It made the music sound cold, shrill, and distorted to my ears. However, I heard using electrical tape to seal up the Pores on the back of the pads helps give its intended sound signature.

For me they sound extremely realistic. I agree they sound cold and shrill, but distorted? I like the way they present instruments like piano or acoustic guitar, but I just love cymbal. These are the only headphones I have ever heard presenting cymbal the way it should sound, and it sounds harsh! I wonder if Ultrasone can do cymbal so good - I bet they do it even better! Any other headphones can do cymbal?

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #650 of 856
For me they sound extremely realistic. I agree they sound cold and shrill, but distorted? I like the way they present instruments like piano or acoustic guitar, but I just love cymbal. These are the only headphones I have ever heard presenting cymbal the way it should sound, and it sounds harsh! I wonder if Ultrasone can do cymbal so good - I bet they do it even better! Any other headphones can do cymbal?

Beyer has some very nice upper frequencies. Clean sound like the m50 but without the sticky pleather. Much better headphone due to comfortability.

Also, with stock pads the m50 has accurate sound. With velour pads they sound distorted. Just in case I didn't verify that part.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #651 of 856

For me, pre burn in on my crappy built in sound card made cymbals literally hurt your ears to the point where you couldn't listen on the M50.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #652 of 856
There is a significant difference between when source boosts treble and when headphones have good response at treble frequencies. Try boosting treble for CX300II. The only thing you will get is lots of noise at frequencies lower from the one that you tried to boost.

My point is that M50 does not have good treble extension. That cymbal for example on M50 is very very far from real one simply because of noise produced because they are closed. On other hand A30 even if they use same drivers they are open, and because of that headphones don't introduce additional noise that was not in the signal, and this basically means more accurate bass and treble.

I'm still unsure if sound on A30 is distorted or maybe it is that clarity that other headphones are missing and this is why when you compare they sound distorted for you... For me they are definitely engaging, and really great for playing CS:GO :)

I was actually interested in Bayer, but after reading all these posts where people saying about exaggerated bass and recessed mids, it's not for me. I really want mids!

BTW I'm the guy who prefers sound of Q 2050i from Diamond 155. The guy in shop preferred Wharfedale, because he said treble on Q Acoustics are too harsh for him. So there are tastes and tastes :p

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #655 of 856
They produce things that are not in the source signal - technically it's called noise.

That might be a design issue.  Not all closed-back headphones produce anomalies if engineered properly.  There are open headphones that are resonant as well.  It may be more prevalent with sealed/closed headphones, but it is not something specifically inherent to these types in general.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #656 of 856
That might be a design issue.  Not all closed-back headphones produce anomalies if engineered properly.  There are open headphones that are resonant as well.  It may be more prevalent with sealed/closed headphones, but it is not something specifically inherent to these types in general.

That is absolutely true, but IMHO M50 is one that does introduce this kind of noise at higher frequencies, while A30 doesn't. The point I want to make is that M50 drivers are amazingly good, while really much depends on earcup design M50 vs A30 - day and night difference:p

I started wondering if there are any mods using M50 drivers. Why people prefer to mod T50 instead?

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #657 of 856
T50rp sounds terrible at stock...

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #660 of 856
Maybe we should create a challenge here on formum:)
So since this is supposed to be "concise" can someone reiterate and tell why M50 is no longer a king? Because I'm still not seeing it. There are headphones which do better this or that, but is there a pair that is better in everything from M50 and costs same as M50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back