A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #601 of 856
Quote:
+1

I used them at work to watch movies and listen to music with a fiio e10.

when I left that job I didn't even bother to take either with me because each was so trivial and meh

fiio product are just a pure meh, if the quality had been at least schiit level(PUN INTENDED) then I would have not hated them everywhere I can

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #602 of 856
fiio product are just a pure meh, if the quality had been at least schiit level(PUN INTENDED) then I would have not hated them everywhere I can

I'm a fan of the quality of the E12 and I like the E07K. I also like JamesFiio and then they are headed in the right direction with amps like the E12 (even though its signature wasn't my style) and hopefully the X5 DAP will be a hit.

anyway, when I was looking for a headphone for work I bought the M50 because of the hype everyone gives it. its ok I guess, its v shaped signature isn't me tho. I don't listen to pit bull or hip hop lmao

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #603 of 856
The ath m50 is not a bad headphone like some say it is. But I found out that the ath 900x can be purchased around the same price, and that headphone is an overall m50 improvement in soundstage, mids, bass and sound balance.after using them you realize how muddy and bass heavy the m50 is. M50 is still a good headphone, but to say that its better than anything under 250 dollars is false

As for ultrasone, their headphones are ok. Highs are way to harsh for my ears.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #604 of 856
Quote:

I have the HFI-780, and velour pads soften the highs a bit.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #607 of 856
The sad thing is in my opinion the M50 is the nicest looking headphone on the market. It's a shame the looks don't match the sound. I wish I could blend the AKG 550 sound with the looks and portability of the M50.

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #608 of 856
The ath m50 is not a bad headphone like some say it is. But I found out that the ath 900x can be purchased around the same price, and that headphone is an overall m50 improvement in soundstage, mids, bass and sound balance.after using them you realize how muddy and bass heavy the m50 is. M50 is still a good headphone, but to say that its better than anything under 250 dollars is false

Have a link so I can get the ATH 900X for around $100? I'd jump on it immediately!!! :)

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #609 of 856
The sad thing is in my opinion the M50 is the nicest looking headphone on the market. It's a shame the looks don't match the sound. I wish I could blend the AKG 550 sound with the looks and portability of the M50.

I think the M50 is nice enough looking for what it is (a closed-back DJ/tracking phone), but there are certainly better looking headphones, IMO.

The HE-400 and HE-500 are some of my favorites. Pure simplicity, without gimmicks, bling, or gaudy colors. They have a very clear design language, one which, IMO, is timeless.

I guess it all depends on what you value aesthetically, of course.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #610 of 856
I think the M50 is nice enough looking for what it is (a closed-back DJ/tracking phone), but there are certainly better looking headphones, IMO.

The HE-400 and HE-500 are some of my favorites. Pure simplicity, without gimmicks, bling, or gaudy colors. They have a very clear design language, one which, IMO, is timeless.

I guess it all depends on what you value aesthetically, of course.

Yeah in the end it's just personal preference. A lot of people like how the soundmagic hp100 looks, but I think those metal cups make it look tacky. Again, a shame, because I think if it had matte black earcups it would look great.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #612 of 856
I never pay full price for any headphone,...and I'd buy the 900X if I can locate them for $100-$150ish. No higher,...

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #614 of 856
I'd like to refer to first post. I wonder which headphones for price of M50 offer at least same sq? Can anyone give some names here? Mind that mentioning IEM's is cheating.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #615 of 856
Quote:
I'd like to refer to first post. I wonder which headphones for price of M50 offer at least same sq? Can anyone give some names here? Mind that mentioning IEM's is cheating.

If you like monitor-type headphones, the KRK KNS8400 offers superior resolution to the M50 at a similar price point. It also bests the M50 in the comfort field, and comes from a company with a much more responsive service department than A-T's. The Sony MDR-ZX700 is also comparable in sound from what I remember of it, but I haven't spent as much time with it as I should to give a full comparison.

If you want a fun-sounding and bassy headphones, there are a large number of options out there that equal or best the M50. The M-Audio Q40 is bassier than the M50 with similar build quality, and while is doesn't have quite the detail of the M50 it tends to be sold for slightly less than the A-T at any given time, and its bass reaches a little deeper than the ATH-M50's does as well as having more punch. Models comparable to the M50 with a V-signature include Ultrasone's HFI580 and HFI780. The HFI580 is somewhere between the M50 and Q40 in sound signature and detail retrieval, and the HFI780 has both more bass and more detail than the M50. At a bit higher price point, the Beyerdynamic DT770 beats out the Audio-Technica in detail, bass slam, deep FR, and even durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back