A complex question to audiophiles that I dont understand.
Aug 18, 2012 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JoshNurse

New Head-Fier
For example if I buy these headphones: HiFiMan HE-400, will they still sound the same if I use them on my iphone or laptop?

Also if I have a portable amp connected to the headphones and iphone will the quality sound the same if both of these are connected to the laptop?

I hope I am making sense.  The reason is I just ordered a laptop that has a good soundcard.  Not sure if I should have gotten a cheaper laptop and still enjoy great sound with the headphones...

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 6
You can "get away" with using the he400 on an iphone or ipod, but it's not great. You will have to crank the volume up and it will sound far from it's best. The cheapest way to get good sound from the he400 is the fiio e17. It's portable, powerful, has hardware EQ and very reasonably priced. I picked one up here used for $105 shipped.

gL!!

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 6
A planar magnetic will be more even in sound throughout multiple sources than some conventional dynamic headphones.  The reason being is that its impedance curve is dead flat in comparison, so there's no significant alterations in the frequency response due to different damping factors on different sources.  I enjoy the sound of the HE-400 out of an iPod, but for songs with large dynamic ranges, it doesn't get loud enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back