A comparison between the Sennheiser HD800 and the Sony R10
Jul 2, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #106 of 196
Really good post, thank you.

I received my ED8's yesterday and will receive my HD800's tomorrow and I was hoping that these two would curb my desire for a set of R10's, but I fear it won't be so.

There was something just "right" about blubliss' rig at CanJam, it haunts me...

Peace,

Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening back and forth for a few days between the HD800s (very impressive headphone) and bass-heavy R10s, nothing formal or detailed, but just listening to music. I've also been following this thread, and find myself agreeing with much of what Edwood and Hirsch have posted when it comes to comparing the two. I think the HD800s are a true high-end headphone, and actually a bargain at $1400 if you compare them with other high-end offerings, but I find myself preferring the R10 every time. I've questioned whether my preference for the R10 is based my familiarity with its sound. I'm also wondering what the ideal source/amp would be for the HD800s and how it might affect my preference. I'm not having the same difficulty others have expressed with the HD800s being more analytical and less engaging. I'm having zero problems with sibilance (though it will reveal sibilance). On the first couple nights I had the 800s, I threw everything from classical to small combo jazz to hardcore 80s punk to taped live shows (very well done tapes). I found the live shows most revealing, as they were taped in the audience, and not only was the placement of the audience and the band "just right", but the energy of the live performances and of the audience came through. It felt like at being a live show, and that's not an easy thing for a headphone to do. Then I put on my R10s, and that sense that no one can explain well, but everyone, hopefully, gets to experience of this being just right, of this being what music sounds like, of this being what I want, just hits me, and...well...that's it. I'm going to play around with the HD800s for a bit more, mostly because I like them, and I'm very curious to find out more of what they can do. But if I had to choose today between the two, I'd chose my R10s.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #107 of 196
Stop, you're killing me!
wink_face.gif

Peace,

Lee

Quote:

Well, I just sold my HD800s to another head-fier, and I'm a little sad. The good news is that I get to keep them for a couple weeks. There's nothing I can't add that others haven't said better about R10s vs HD800s. I think the 800s are some of the best headphones I've heard, one of the the best all-rounders, and maybe one of the best articulators of music I've come across, if that makes any sense to anyone else. I continue to be impressed with them every time I put them on, but they're not R10s. And if the R10s are my yin, the O2 MK1s are my yang, and the 800s aren't O2s. I still surprised that I'm not keeping them, since I like them as much as I do, but then I sold my K1000s for a volume pot, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised after all. I'm listening to Zoe Keating's One Cello x 16: Natoma with the 800s right now: beautiful!

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #108 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I received my ED8's yesterday and will receive my HD800's tomorrow and I was hoping that these two would curb my desire for a set of R10's, but I fear it won't be so.

Peace,

Lee

909's Eddie Current HD2 amp with ATH-L3000 didn't sound so bad. That might be a cheaper route for a good closed phone...
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #109 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Peace,

Lee

true, Blubliss's R10 rig is awesome. but, even if you do manage to get a pair of R10s, how are you gonna get something as good-sounding as his amp??

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #110 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by leberserkfury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true, Blubliss's R10 rig is awesome. but, even if you do manage to get a pair of R10s, how are you gonna get something as good-sounding as his amp??

I am very fortunate that my closest friend is also one of the most talented audio designers/engineers working today, so I'd "coerce" him into building me a crazy one off project especially for the R10's.

We'll see. It's a dream at this point, maybe best kept that way, ha!

Lee

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #111 of 196
Quote:

Well, I just sold my HD800s to another head-fier, and I'm a little sad. The good news is that I get to keep them for a couple weeks. There's nothing I can't add that others haven't said better about R10s vs HD800s. I think the 800s are some of the best headphones I've heard, one of the the best all-rounders, and maybe one of the best articulators of music I've come across, if that makes any sense to anyone else. I continue to be impressed with them every time I put them on, but they're not R10s. And if the R10s are my yin, the O2 MK1s are my yang, and the 800s aren't O2s. I still surprised that I'm not keeping them, since I like them as much as I do, but then I sold my K1000s for a volume pot, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised after all. I'm listening to Zoe Keating's One Cello x 16: Natoma with the 800s right now: beautiful!

It would be hard for me, not to do the same thing, if I were in your position.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #113 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the K1000 is in the same league as the HD800/R10/HE90.

You might be right out of the box, depending on the amplification and cabling. My K1000s sat in a closet for years until I found the amplification (First-Watt F1) and cabling (Stefan AudioArts Equinox) that made them sing.

With proper amplification and cabling however, the K1000s are definitely in the top tier.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #114 of 196
Quote:

I'm actually considering doing the opposite. I do love my R10's, but the superior bass, terrific spaciousness, clean treble, and overall superior neutrality of the HD800's make me think about parting ways with the legend. I'd probably kick myself later if I did sell them, but then I would always have the HD800's there to lick my wounds.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #115 of 196
Quote:

if you're friend is willing to build you such an amp, please let me know. i'm also looking for that amp. thanks!

Lee, me too!

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #117 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the K1000 is in the same league as the HD800/R10/HE90.

Is it in a league above?!
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #118 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it in a league above?!
wink.gif

Are you serious? My question is dead serious though.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #119 of 196
Unlike the HD800/HE90/R10/Omega, the K1000 does not create an air space/volume between the ear, head, and headphone, and I believe this has merit.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #120 of 196
I agree that the K1000's are also in the same league. The problem is that one could argue that the game they play is different. Their presentation of music is so different than the R10's, HD800's, and any other headphone that I have heard, that the K1000's almost deserve their own classification. Not quite speakers...not quite headphones...very...well...unique. The things they do well, they do better than any other headphone going. Yes, they are very finicky with amps. But once amped correctly, they sing a song that is hard to resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back