A cheap upgrade from PL-30
Jul 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ctbear

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, this is my first post at Head fi and I'm a noob at IEMs, so hopefully I can get some answers here

Right now I have a pair of Soundmagic PL-30, and am looking for an upgrade

I mostly use it to listen to music on my phone, mostly pop/rock

My budget is somewhere under $40...I know it's not much, so would I better off just stick with the PL-30?

How about the Klipsch Image S2(m)?

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Hello everyone, this is my first post at Head fi and I'm a noob at IEMs, so hopefully I can get some answers here

Right now I have a pair of Soundmagic PL-30, and am looking for an upgrade

I mostly use it to listen to music on my phone, mostly pop/rock

My budget is somewhere under $40...I know it's not much, so would I better off just stick with the PL-30?

How about the Klipsch Image S2(m)?

Thanks!

What is ur sound preferences and ur budget?

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi abh,

I have the Image S2's and I gotta say once they're burnt in they're really good. (which is about 250 - 300 hours)

The bass is very controlled and for some people it seems like less bass but there's enough.
The mids are smooth but not over whelming. (I prefer the PL50's mids)
And the highs, I love the highs on these because they're not to sharp but just right so if you love controlled bass with decent mids and great highs for a low price the S2's are for you.

Ooh and Ive had the PL50's before but not the PL30's, The S2's are way better, unless your a person who likes mids over bass and highs.

Good Luck. :)

- Vloooooooooooooienuker

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies!

I have been reading a lot of posts here recently, but the more I read, the more confused I am :/

It seems like the S2 are good enough by their own, but at the same price range there are many better ones (M9, M6, ADDIEM, UHP606, etc)

The Playaz seems to be out of stock now :frowning2: A lot of people on that thread prefer TD100 but I can't find any info on how to purchase?

I now have some candidates in my mind:

-Image S2 (~$40, S2m ~$25)
-UHP336 (~$50, a little over budget)
-UHP606 (~$25)
-Anything from the Meelec "M what" promotion ($20)
-ADDIEM (~$35)

I'm particularly interested in the UHP336 and 606...from what I read they are basically rebranded version of Superfi 3 and 4. I really like the look of 336 but the 606 costs just half as much

I mostly listen to pop, rock, R&B, and sometimes some classicals, source...my little Nexus One smartphone :)

Any help would be appreciated!

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Regarding purchasing the TD100 tis probably easiest just to send an email enquiry, the guy who runs the playaz site, I forget his name, Is pretty good at offering good deals too apparantly.

I haven't heard any of the others you listed but I can say that I didn't get on with the PL50's at all and much preferred the 30's, but then I preferred the PL30's to the RE0's too!

I remember when I was looking to upgrade the PL30's to something with a similar sound signature joker recommended the visang R02.http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-87-iems-compared-yamaha-eph-20-koss-ke29-added-07-24 

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Don't get the ADDIEM, trust me i purchased one before and the sound was descent out of the box but after when it burnt in about 100 hours later the bass started to get loose and muddy unlike the tightness of the S2's and the UHP336.

- Vloooooooooooooooooienuker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back