A cheap-but-good DIY portable amp?
Mar 1, 2009 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Kayito-san

100+ Head-Fier
So, I just bought a pair of Grado 225s, and I'm looking for some suitable portable amplification that would also work with other headphones. Now, I considered buying an RSA SR71, but they I figured, why not give it a try, myself? So I'm wondering if you can post pics, or link me to a tutorial with included pics of your own homebuilt amps. Keep in mind, I'm fairly new to this.

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 34
Mar 1, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 34
Don't waste your time with the cmoy. I recommend that you go directly for the pimeta and mini3, both are top notch DIY portable amps that sounds as good as any of the RSA offerings.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 34
Whoa. Mini3 looks amazing-- Does it stand up to heavy abuse? I'll be using it with my Grado phones and iPod (and later vinyl player) as source, but would it work with something that has a smaller output than an iPod?

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa. Mini3 looks amazing-- Does it stand up to heavy abuse? I'll be using it with my Grado phones and iPod (and later vinyl player) as source, but would it work with something that has a smaller output than an iPod?

my mini3 seems like it could survive a nuclear explosion. oh but i didn't make it
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 34
I recall another (commercial) amp manufacturer whose amp is housed in the same extruded aluminum Hammond enclosure that Mini³ uses, had a website that shows pictures of a BMW sedan driving over the amp, to show how strong it is...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recall another (commercial) amp manufacturer whose amp is housed in the same extruded aluminum Hammond enclosure that Mini³ uses, had a website that shows pictures of a BMW sedan driving over the amp, to show how strong it is...
smily_headphones1.gif

car_tire_256x363.jpg

[size=xx-small]Photo taken from Practical Devices
[/size]

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by schizo1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my mini3 seems like it could survive a nuclear explosion. oh but i didn't make it
frown.gif

Although it may be kind of fun to try to repair a smooshed amp.....damage caused by parking a motor vehicle on your amp is not covered under the warranty so please don't try it.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 34
I dropped my mini3 about 9 feet from a ladder to the concrete driveway at my house...it suffered a small ding on one corner, but had no internal damage. The battery was still fully seated in the connectors too.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 34
Mini3 will be a little harder for a first timer with the SMD components. I would recommend the JDS Labs cmoy bass boost as a first one. It's a little more expensive, but the website is great, John is quick with support, and it will go a long way to introducing you to how a lot of these DIY projects are setup. I built mine a couple months ago and I'm now fully entrenched in DIY.... not sure if I'll ever get out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back