A cheap-but-good DIY portable amp?
Mar 3, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #16 of 34
My Mini3 was my first DIY and turned out perfectly. No hiss, no hum, and sounds fantastic. Highly recommended. Bang for buck, it's very hard to recommend anything else.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #18 of 34
So far, Mini3 seems to have gotten the most recommendations; I think I might give it a try. Now the only issue is with obtaining it. Do you have to order it from the site, or are there resellers of the package?

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #20 of 34
Ah, thank you;

Furthermore, does anybody have the dimension requirements of the internal circuitry? I'm thinking of designing my own external body for it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 34
hmm i am about to start getting the parts for a Cmoy, however is the pimeta better? I am willing to start doing that.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm i am about to start getting the parts for a Cmoy, however is the pimeta better? I am willing to start doing that.

CMoy seems to be more popular.

I'm probably wrong, therefore when somebody else answers your question, my answer becomes redundant.

IMO, CMoy still looks like a better bet.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recall another (commercial) amp manufacturer whose amp is housed in the same extruded aluminum Hammond enclosure that Mini³ uses, had a website that shows pictures of a BMW sedan driving over the amp, to show how strong it is...
smily_headphones1.gif

and knowing bmw, the shocks and struts will need replacing after that, at over $500 each.

lol
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the MAIN thing I like about the pimeta is the buffered design.

that has a great price/perf ratio.

to be honest, the 3 channel design is 'nice' but you don't NEED that (imho!). the specs are better with it, but its arguable if its audible (the improvement).

buffering, otoh, has a clear and undeniable benefit.

if you get a pimeta, you get the other 'features' for nearly free, though
wink.gif

the pimeta board is well made, easy to work on and I've never had a bad build yet, really. why airwire or proto-wire a cmoy when you can get the pimeta for not a lot extra in cost or time.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far, Mini3 seems to have gotten the most recommendations; I think I might give it a try. Now the only issue is with obtaining it. Do you have to order it from the site, or are there resellers of the package?

I have not built a mini3 (yet) but it does seem a bit harder for a first project than the pimeta.

for your very first project, I would pick the easiest one and I do think the pimeta is going to be easier for a first timer. also easier to troubleshoot for a newbie since the spacing on the parts is less cramped (imho).

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #30 of 34
This is a JDS BBCmoy I built it's decoupled to allow amp rolling. It fits in a zippo tin!

P1000438.jpg

P1000437.jpg

It's the 2.01 Version, the new version has a different PCB layout & he puts his in Altoids Tins.

You can also make these with variable bass.

DCP_0755.jpg

DCP_0754.jpg

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back