A cheap-but-good DIY portable amp?
Mar 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #32 of 34
Umm... I don't know of any portable headphone amp that you could DIY that costs that much, at least for the actual circuit. You could spend a lot on custom casework but I don't think that's what you mean. There are some pretty exotic amps out there, but they tend to be less well known and less supported, and probably a better choice for an experienced builder since you would have to do a lot of the legwork yourself. Most DIY projects that cross the $300 mark tend to be desktop amplifiers or sources... there is no reason to spend $300 on a DIY portable IMO.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JDS Labs

CmoyBB. I swear by this amp.

+1

For a first project, builing a cmoy the Tangent way is an excellent way to learn how things work.

But once you've suffered through learning the circuit the hard way, the JDS labs Cmoy board is excellent. I just upgraded the opamp in mine to LME49720 and it's simply awesome.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #34 of 34
Another great amp to make is Joshatdot's cmoy. If he has any boards available , he will put together a kit for you.
Both Josh and John are great guys and very helpful if you need help and advice on obtaining components.

You won't go far wrong with either amp, both are very nice- JDS cmoy or Joshatdot's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back