A (better sounding?) alternative to Foobar2000 -OR- A musing in the realm of bit-perfect streaming
May 29, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #136 of 344

Quote:

do this :  then this:  and make a profile for lossy audio in ffdshow, and force 32fp output:

I think I remember having the first 2 covered. Its the last one I didn't check. Do you have a link to that tutorial thread again Lee? I am an idiot with the new search function :D I'll do some listening tests again but this time my gear is different. If the differences that I heard before between players still apply to the new gear then I am inclined to believe in myself more than believing it is just placebo :)

May 29, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #137 of 344

Head Injury, 
In all fairness we are not in the sound science forum. This is what audiophiles do, have fun while discussing their observations. No need to make it all clinical. Of course I can try to back it up with scientific evidence but in the end If it is placebo that makes me enjoy my music then so be it hehehe I hope you can also see Leeperry's and my angle on the subject.

May 30, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #139 of 344
First, i was not using an earlier stealthaudio, but an earlier version of the player project, hybrys. Second, the idea is on the origin of,  importance and the nature of bit-perfect streaming for my own, and in hope, others, edification. But apparently everyone has too strong of feelings of being right about something incredibly obscure and nearly irrelevant to almost everyone else. Thus i gained some knowledge that my curiosity sought, but i am disheartened by you guys.

If it is the volume output, and that really affects the audio the way it does (without it really sounding louder to me), okay. I'm.. fine with that. I don't care. I enjoy the sound. I never, as very obvious in the title of the thread, meant to brazenly purport that the minimalist player is the best. Just something that sounded better to me. And in general, i take my audio equipment and playing choices very slowly and carefully, so it is a little aggravating to be told that i am simply a misguided dunce with 'sugar pills'.

I guess there's no way for me to close a thread i started, but i'd like to. really now... i'd hazard that most of you are a good deal older than me as well...

May 30, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #140 of 344
I take that back, they look the same.  Ran it through a system then re-recorded them, and they look the same.  I can upload pics, if you'd like.  If my stupid Audacity hadn't have crashed...

May 30, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #141 of 344
I guess there's no way for me to close a thread i started, but i'd like to.

ask the mods, I don't see why that wouldn't be possible.

yes, saying that you hear differences between cables/players/transports often ends up in an endless wave of naysayers trying to convince you that it's just a bunch of 0 and 1 and that you'd need a prescription for that mental illness of yours. I've heard cables/opamps/transports/"bit-perfect" media players changing the sound and I've finally found my ideal combo that sounds too awesome to be put into words, but sure..it's my imagination
charles%20k.gif

May 30, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #142 of 344
Oddly enough, I'm a believer in everything else on that list, except the players.  >_>

May 30, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #143 of 344
The bitperfect part like wasapi might actually bypass the os limitations(mixer, among other things) and make the music bitperfect on that end but the players all can have their secret mix hidden from our adjusting capabilities to make their players have an edge or a flavor over others. Remember for example that the foobar eq and volume control can still be used even with wasapi enabled... What does this tell us? Well, Its telling us that wasapi cannot do "crap in crap out"... They could have something tuned with the player to sound the way it is even with all effects turned off because they can. After all wasapi won't stop it. All wasapi is making sure is that the data going into the player(foobar in this case) is bitperfect.

May 30, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #144 of 344
but uLilith and Reclock *are* bit-perfect...they don't "add" any DSP whatsoever...even their coders don't believe that bit-perfect players can sound different. XXHighEnd I find it hard to believe, I'd need to see a DTS/HDCD live test in video to believe it
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #145 of 344
With reclock I did notice that kmplayer didn't allow the eq to be adjusted so that one might be different to just straight wasapi on foobar. I agree but some other people here will just say that as long as it is wasapi/asio/ks, that it is automatically bitperfect.

May 30, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #146 of 344
Alright Leeperry... I'll try ulilith one more time with the latest enhancements hehehe. What is their link these days? and with the latest version, what steps do I have to take to ensure that it is bitperfect? Last time it was an ftp link that you gave so if some links change I don't wan't to criticize it even though I don't have it set correctly 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #148 of 344
asio/wasapi is bitperfect but what i meant was with players like foobar, the wasapi is only used to ensure the data going into the player is bitperfect but manipulation or inherent tweaking of the players own sound/eq/effects affects what comes out of the player so what we get as output is not bitperfect anymore.

May 30, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #150 of 344
oh...core2 has been compiled w/ ICL11 and is optimized for Intel CPU's.

sure, but if you don't force resampling/use VST plugins/lower the volume, uLilith will be bit-perfect...and in Reclock if you leave the sample rate/bit-depth untouched, you will be bit-perfect too. Actually all the bit-depth conversions in Reclock are bit-perfect as well, 16int>32int, 16int>32fp etc etc

Reclock bases its timings on HPET and runs a small WASAPI buffer in realtime priority, so it takes over the computer to play the audio stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back