$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jan 18, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #5,881 of 6,549
at least we might get what we paid for. But we won’t let go of our spare units, right? :wink:
AHAHAH, I really like the hint of irony or slight provocation in your question. To be really honest with you, it would depend on the offered price, the need of the cash at that moment or if I am about to finance a very nice sounding device that I previously listened to and absolutely want. For the time being, my spare unit is not going anywhere, even if we would offer me USD 1K. I am also set with my gears for a few months :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #5,882 of 6,549
Has anyone compare the Cayin N6II with E01 to the Calyx M. I am curious because both have class A

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #5,883 of 6,549
Has anyone compare the Cayin N6II with E01 to the Calyx M. I am curious because both have class A
Very good question. The E01 module solely sports a 3.5mm HO as the Calyx M. It would be great to compare them side by side, sound reproduction being the only thing what matters here.

Tried the Calyx M tonight with the very cheap but great sounding Blon-BL03. The sound is as "analog" as it gets for a digital device. Not the last word in transparency, speed and details, but hey, musicality is incredible, especially in the mids.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #5,884 of 6,549
yeah comparing calyx to cayin with e01 module is very interesting

does anyone own both and can share with us a comparison please

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #5,885 of 6,549
The sound is as "analog" as it gets for a digital device. Not the last word in transparency, speed and details, but hey, musicality is incredible, especially in the mids.
That‘s why I think it’s good to pair this dap with phones that have those attributes „transparency, speed, details“ like Stellia, my beloved darling. So you get the best of both worlds.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #5,886 of 6,549
That‘s why I think it’s good to pair this dap with phones that have those attributes „transparency, speed, details“ like Stellia, my beloved darling. So you get the best of both worlds.
Yes, you are right about that. Tried my "put-up-for-sale" Final Sonorous VI and BQEYZ Spring 1 with it and I had great results. I am more into IEMs at the moment. A year ago, I had the TOTL Final Sonorous X for a few months and it was a great match too, warmth meeting absolute transparency. I tried the Stellia with an AK SPK and my DTR1 last September. It was good, but I think that the Stellia is overpriced, I had a somewhat thin sound coming from both DAPs, which actually have a different sound signature. Something was off for my taste. No provocation here, just my 2 days experience with the Stellia. Maybe it does wonder with the Calyx M, so perfect for you. Moreover, I really dig a slight darkish, warmish sound signature with decent detail retrieval, which explained my opinion. I am glad you are happy with your combo :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #5,887 of 6,549
Yes, you are right about that. Tried my "put-up-for-sale" Final Sonorous VI and BQEYZ Spring 1 with it and I had great results. I am more into IEMs at the moment. A year ago, I had the TOTL Final Sonorous X for a few months and it was a great match too, warmth meeting absolute transparency. I tried the Stellia with an AK SPK and my DTR1 last September. It was good, but I think that the Stellia is overpriced, I had a somewhat thin sound coming from both DAPs, which actually have a different sound signature. Something was off for my taste. No provocation here, just my 2 days experience with the Stellia. Maybe it does wonder with the Calyx M, so perfect for you. Moreover, I really dig a slight darkish, warmish sound signature with decent detail retrieval, which explained my opinion. I am glad you are happy with your combo :)
I was also into IEMs for quite a time. I had so many IEMs for loaner, but wasn't happy at first (EE Phantom, EE Legend X, Xelento, Jomo Samba, Jomo Flamenco, Vision Ears VE8), but I didn't get what I wanted. Then I found the InEar ProPhile8, a very neutral (though still musical, at least for me) sounding IEM which is still highly praised if you want perfect mids. But after one or two years I thought that I missed something, it was the "feeling" of the bass department (I am a drummer and that's why I want to feel it. Also was an engineer and that's why I also want a neutral - harman curve). I was in many studios and mastering studios and "heard" how the mixer/producer listens to music. Always it was a balanced, transparent sound. When I found the Stellia, I also thought they are overpriced (all TOTLs are!!!), that's why I got them cheaper with a good connection :wink: But what I wanted to say: They orient themselves around the harman curve, as did the PP8 IEM, I guess that's what I like and appreciated when working in the studio. The Stellia is a tic better then the PP8 in all matters. But it wasn't until a few weeks ago when I got my Arctic cable silver UPOCC upgrade cable that I thought the very first time "Well, now, this is it! I found it." The sound is so damn transparent (for on the go listening) that it almost feels like when I listened to music in the mastering studio when I produced a folk album.
So, long story short, it seems that I prefer a more neutral sound sig (or "thin" if you want). This is also what was said about the PP8. But it is how mastering engineers tend to listen to. Maybe it´s because of my work as a musician and producer that I tend to like that sound sig. With the Calyx M (and the Silver UPOCC cable) it´s an amazing synergy (also when amped with the Vorzüge VorzAMP Duo II that, alas, costs nearly twice of the Calyx M right now). Anyhow, I am looking forward to getting the stock Calyx M and then I'll compare the stock with the hardware modded version. Until then: Happy listening :)

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #5,890 of 6,549
@F700 which IEM do you prefer with Calyx M? I forgot to mention that I also tested the U18t, tia fourte, Noble Khan. No IEM came, for me, near the PP8 in terms of „correct“ sound reproduction.
It seems we tend to prefer different sound signatures you and I. Interesting to read why you like a more neutral or "correct" sound. Everything makes sense. Not being ultimately driven by a "perfect" sound reproduction, I have no problem with giving up some details (you know, these 5% you can get with a "better" IEM set) in favour of more "musicality". I have been listening to warmish, romantic, darkish sounding devices (turntable and CD-Players) for my whole life. It started in the late 80's with my father's setup. In the desktop and portable game since 2013, I struggled finding combinations that I really liked, often being disappointed with the "digital" sound I got. I will pass on the material that I bought and sell. I spent 5 figures amount in the previous years and now being more than happy with 2 Daps, 2 amps, 2 full-sized headphones and 5 pairs of IEMs, all of it being quite affordable, but showing great synergy for my tastes. My turntable and CD-players are still getting a lot of love from me, though.

So, sorry for being so talkative :), back to your question: At the moment, I really like the Blon BL-03 and the Final E5000 with the Calyx M. My other IEMs also are great with it, but I prefer these 2 single DD being fed by the Calyx M. I get completely lost in the music. Such a nice feeling. The Fibae Black is also very nice, especially in the midrange and with vocals.

I am not really interested in spending too much at the moment or to get real expensive TOTL IEMs. In any case, the next steps for me is to take the CIEM road. I am saving for this, no new purchase for a while now. Then, I will have to choose wisely. I am looking for Fibae 7, itsfit Fusion (or their coming flagship) or maybe EE LX. Who knows what 2020 will bring. I am also open to suggestion if you have some.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #5,891 of 6,549
It seems we tend to prefer different sound signatures you and I. Interesting to read why you like a more neutral or "correct" sound. Everything makes sense. Not being ultimately driven by a "perfectt" sound reproduction, I have no problem with giving up some details (you know, these 5% you can get with a "better" IEM set) in favour of more "musicality". I have been listening to warmish, romantic, darkish sounding devices (turntable and CD-Players) for my whole life. It started in the late 80's with my father's setup. In the desktop and portable game since 2013, I struggled finding combinations that I really liked, often being disappointed with the "digital" sound I got. I will pass on the material that I bought and sell to reach. I spent 5 figures amount in the previous years and now being more than happy with 2 Daps, 2 amps, 2 full-sized headphones and 5 pairs of IEMs, all of it being quite affordable, but showing great synergy for my tastes. My turntable and CD-players are still getting a lot of love from me, though.

So, sorry for being so talkative :), back to your question: At the moment, I really like the Blon BL-03 and the Final E5000 with the Calyx M. My other IEMs also are great with it, but I prefer these 2 single DD being fed by the Calyx M. I get completely lost in the music. Such a nice feeling. The Fibae Black is also very nice, especially in the midrange and with vocals.

I am not really interested in spending to much at the moment in order to get real expensive TOTL IEMs. In any case, the next steps for me is to take the CIEM road. I am saving for this, no new purchase for a while now. Then, I will have to choose wisely. I am looking for Fibae 7, itsfit Fusion (or their coming flagship) or maybe EE LX. Who knows what 2020 will bring. I am also open to suggestion if you have some.
He loves Tori Amos.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #5,892 of 6,549
Jan 31, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #5,893 of 6,549
Are 1tb sd or micro sd cards working in the device or what is the max space possible ?
I would also be interested in knowing this. No one with a 1tb card who could check if it works?

also: I got my new Calyx M from Jaben and was able to compare it to my old hardware modded M, here is what I think:
The original is much more musical satisfying. The modded one might be more reference oriented, that’s why. Because I compared it a few months ago to the LPGT and I couldn’t hear a significant difference in sound reproduction.
In short: I prefer the original M by quite a margin but can understand that someone who wants a dead neutral sounding DAP (for reviewing gear) would also like the modded one.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #5,894 of 6,549
I would also be interested in knowing this. No one with a 1tb card who could check if it works?

also: I got my new Calyx M from Jaben and was able to compare it to my old hardware modded M, here is what I think:
The original is much more musical satisfying. The modded one might be more reference oriented, that’s why. Because I compared it a few months ago to the LPGT and I couldn’t hear a significant difference in sound reproduction.
In short: I prefer the original M by quite a margin but can understand that someone who wants a dead neutral sounding DAP (for reviewing gear) would also like the modded one.
Very insightful feedback, thanks!

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #5,895 of 6,549
Very insightful feedback, thanks!
Maybe I should add: If someone wants to buy my modded M (which looks really used and also the SD slot doesn’t work anymore and one cable went missing) and has 300 euros too much (alone the modding cost me 200, so the DAP would just cost you 100, right?) and wants to know how it sounds in „reference mode“ - a sound addition/alteration to the original M (as well as the whole Beatles catalogue inclusive High-Res on the internal Memory store) shoot me a PM :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back