$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Oct 13, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #5,734 of 6,549
Yup. Use mine more than any other (personal listening/non review related)

HawaiiBB...that earlier closeout link is only for Asia, so you may be able to pick up a brand new spare for 440,00 won/$370 USD while you are over there...

I still am holding on to one myself, but the lack of Wi-Fi/Tidal, Bluetooth, a strong battery and especially ISO playing is getting to be a bit inconvenient as all my files are in that format. As great as it sounds, i also have a (no slouch) LG V40 which does do all the above so I may sell the Calyx soon. But the sound is so intoxicating...

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #5,735 of 6,549
Still using mine 1+ hrs each day. Still love this played but also having the same thoughts at scottm18.
The Calyx is my primary and always within reach.
The only player in the last 3 years that has really stood out would be the Lotoo Paw Gold/Touch.
That said, Astell & Kern should be (or is) a Roon endpoint soon.
Anyone else switched to a new player?

Oct 13, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #5,736 of 6,549
Still using mine 1+ hrs each day. Still love this played but also having the same thoughts at scottm18.
The Calyx is my primary and always within reach.
The only player in the last 3 years that has really stood out would be the Lotoo Paw Gold/Touch.
That said, Astell & Kern should be (or is) a Roon endpoint soon.
Anyone else switched to a new player?
Ol

Oct 13, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #5,737 of 6,549
I have on hand
Calyx M
Cowon plenue 1, M, M2, R
Astell&Kern Kann, ak240
Acoustic Research AR-M2, AR-M20, AR-M200
Ibasso dx80, dx150
Shanling m5, m5s

While I have had many newer DAPs come and go I still rate my Calyx m and AR-M2 and plenue M as my favourite
the only newer dap I have now is dethonray dtr1 I think it sits between the calyx m and ar-m2 in terms of sound signature
I am definitely adding this DAP to the top group
I have found my ie800 has great synergy
The line out to a burson soloist sounds very good - it really goes well with a valve headphone amp to ultrasone signature pro headphone
As a small powerful and fantastic sounding player it really compliments other players with more features
I sold a fiio m11 to get this player - no regrets - I joined the hype train for the m11 but for me personally it sounded clinical and not as good as other players in my collection.
Ideal player for those that use shuffle all for majority of listening.
However calyx m is still my all time favourite- still gets most listening time - just battery and start up time that can be annoying- until the headphone goes on

Oct 14, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #5,738 of 6,549
I have on hand
Calyx M
Cowon plenue 1, M, M2, R
Astell&Kern Kann, ak240
Acoustic Research AR-M2, AR-M20, AR-M200
Ibasso dx80, dx150
Shanling m5, m5s

While I have had many newer DAPs come and go I still rate my Calyx m and AR-M2 and plenue M as my favourite
the only newer dap I have now is dethonray dtr1 I think it sits between the calyx m and ar-m2 in terms of sound signature
I am definitely adding this DAP to the top group
I have found my ie800 has great synergy
The line out to a burson soloist sounds very good - it really goes well with a valve headphone amp to ultrasone signature pro headphone
As a small powerful and fantastic sounding player it really compliments other players with more features
I sold a fiio m11 to get this player - no regrets - I joined the hype train for the m11 but for me personally it sounded clinical and not as good as other players in my collection.
Ideal player for those that use shuffle all for majority of listening.
However calyx m is still my all time favourite- still gets most listening time - just battery and start up time that can be annoying- until the headphone goes on

So the Calyx even 5 years later STILL sounds better than even the new devices from people who have compared them? Way ahead of its time: The screen probably still bests them---that OLED in 2014 must have cost a fortune. And to think the ancient 9018 ESS it uses is known for being rather bright....so considering how robust it sounds, that really shows that implementation is everything!

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #5,739 of 6,549
So the Calyx even 5 years later STILL sounds better than even the new devices from people who have compared them? Way ahead of its time: The screen probably still bests them---that OLED in 2014 must have cost a fortune. And to think the ancient 9018 ESS it uses is known for being rather bright....so considering how robust it sounds, that really shows that implementation is everything!
The first SQ challenger I have heard is the AK SP1000/m which AK has finally provided enough power to offer a full sound. I think, but not sure, that the reason the Calyx burns through battery so fast is due to powering the 9018 correctly to offer that level of SQ, but it doesn't show in the output specifications to be true. The power offers richness and texture to the resolution for greater musicality and dimension.

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #5,740 of 6,549
The first SQ challenger I have heard is the AK SP1000/m which AK has finally provided enough power to offer a full sound. I think, but not sure, that the reason the Calyx burns through battery so fast is due to powering the 9018 correctly to offer that level of SQ, but it doesn't show in the output specifications to be true. The power offers richness and texture to the resolution for greater musicality and dimension.
No question its the surprising "Class A" amp used that sucks down battery like there's no tomorrow. They obviously worried more about sound quality than "convenience" and it's all the better for it.

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #5,741 of 6,549
Mine is no longer working. It was sounding great when I installed the XBATT and then did the WindowsX firmware upgrade.... after about a week, it just stopped working altogether, even with the original battery. Not sure what to do with it at this point.

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #5,742 of 6,549
Mine is no longer working. It was sounding great when I installed the XBATT and then did the WindowsX firmware upgrade.... after about a week, it just stopped working altogether, even with the original battery. Not sure what to do with it at this point.
Bummer, did you contact Calyx?

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #5,743 of 6,549
I did, Chris offered to swap out the motherboard for me, but it's been a while, I don;t recall the sound, and I've got lots of other DAPS... Was thinking of unloading this one, but not by dumping it in the trash....

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #5,745 of 6,549
Don't know - was never able to really find out, since the rig stopped working

Users who are viewing this thread

Back