Oct 21, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #5,746 of 6,549
I have on hand
Calyx M
Cowon plenue 1, M, M2, R
Astell&Kern Kann, ak240
Acoustic Research AR-M2, AR-M20, AR-M200
Ibasso dx80, dx150
Shanling m5, m5s

While I have had many newer DAPs come and go I still rate my Calyx m and AR-M2 and plenue M as my favourite
the only newer dap I have now is dethonray dtr1 I think it sits between the calyx m and ar-m2 in terms of sound signature
I am definitely adding this DAP to the top group
I have found my ie800 has great synergy
The line out to a burson soloist sounds very good - it really goes well with a valve headphone amp to ultrasone signature pro headphone
As a small powerful and fantastic sounding player it really compliments other players with more features
I sold a fiio m11 to get this player - no regrets - I joined the hype train for the m11 but for me personally it sounded clinical and not as good as other players in my collection.
Ideal player for those that use shuffle all for majority of listening.
However calyx m is still my all time favourite- still gets most listening time - just battery and start up time that can be annoying- until the headphone goes on

OMG, that is really enlightening. :D

Check out my signature, I am following basically a similar path, and I can explain more things now in terms of what was "wrong" to me or "good".

I've had, tried, and sent back Fiio M11, iBasso DX200, QLS QA361, and never really got why instead I am in love with DAPs like Shoxy Alien+ (you should give it a try too!), Calyx M, Opus #3, AR-M200 (a little wonder, BT uber alles)...

I've used also DTR1 for a while, and agree on your thoughts, just this morning I was wondering how it could compare with Calyx M (the latter arrived late at the party and I already gave the DTR1 back to its owner, so couldn't compare directly).

I "felt" DTR1 was sitting just a small step below Calyx M, but wouldn't dare to write that such an old DAP stil outperforms so many others... I've even did some A-B testing directly against the Mojo in USB DAC mode (both).... from a Mac running Pine player or Bandcamp songs directly... guess who won (for ME of course)? :D

Oh boy, if only Calyx had a proper folder browsing... I'd live with the poor battery issue and long boot, really.

Ps. I miss only the AR-M2 experience it seems.. lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #5,747 of 6,549
I just bought a calyx m from fujiya avic through a forwarding company. They are selling it for ¥34,800. I had a couple years ago and sold it off due to the poor battery life. Now that I got it again I was wondering why I actually sold it previously. It sounds so good!!!

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #5,748 of 6,549
I just bought a calyx m from fujiya avic through a forwarding company. They are selling it for ¥34,800. I had a couple years ago and sold it off due to the poor battery life. Now that I got it again I was wondering why I actually sold it previously. It sounds so good!!!

That Is Indeed a very good deal. :)

Btw I happen to own the battery pack but I am not yet in the Need of such autonomy.. I use the DAP in the evening and charger It regularly.. Will see and give the big battery a go :)

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #5,750 of 6,549
Now that I got it again I was wondering why I actually sold it previously. It sounds so good!!!

Yeah...the M has several issues (mostly due to its age), but sound is definitely not one of them.
I’m in 2 minds on the xbat. It’s selling for about $170 usd in Singapore. Does anyone know if it actually extend the battery life to 8 hours?

Oct 26, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #5,755 of 6,549
Yes! It’s like having 2 calyx m stacked together. I read somewhere in this thread that it adds 2 extra hours, if I’m not mistaken. That’s too short IMO lol!
I have the Calyx M with X-Batt stacked. In mid gain with FLAC or ALAC, you are good to go for 6 to 7 hours. Still, it is 50% more battery than a standalone M. For my needs, it is perfect. Calyx M is a DAP that stays at home. I can listen to it 3 evenings in a row without charging it. On Saturdays, I take good care to have it charged at 100% and then you have no problem to enjoy the music the whole night.

It is a brick, yes. But it also gives a nice weight to the DAP. I would never give back the X-Batt back, hence my recommandation to any owner of a standalone M to get one. Some will disagree I think, matter of priority and taste at the end.

At the office or for business travel, the Dethonray DTR1 is my way to go. It has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Amazing DAP, soundwise a bit clearer than the M. Detail retrieval is truly amazing. Don't let you fool by the "old" AK4490 chip, we are talking TOTL level here in terms of SQ. It also is very powerful.

When it comes to SQ, the M still has the edge over the DTR1 for my tastes, but I see people liking the DTR1 more than the M.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #5,756 of 6,549
I have the Calyx M with X-Batt stacked. In mid gain with FLAC or ALAC, you are good to go for 6 to 7 hours. Still, it is 50% more battery than a standalone M. For my needs, it is perfect. Calyx M is a DAP that stays at home. I can listen to it 3 evenings in a row without charging it. On Saturdays, I take good care to have it charged at 100% and then you have no problem to enjoy the music the whole night.

It is a brick, yes. But it also gives a nice weight to the DAP. I would never give back the X-Batt back, hence my recommandation to any owner of a standalone M to get one. Some will disagree I think, matter of priority and taste at the end.

At the office or for business travel, the Dethonray DTR1 is my way to go. It has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Amazing DAP, soundwise a bit clearer than the M. Detail retrieval is truly amazing. Don't let you fool by the "old" AK4490 chip, we are talking TOTL level here in terms of SQ. It also is very powerful.

When it comes to SQ, the M still has the edge over the DTR1 for my tastes, but I see people liking the DTR1 more than the M.
I just finished reading the thread on the dtr1. Very tempted to get it. I think I will sell off my hiby r6ss first.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #5,757 of 6,549
Dethonray DTR1 is my way to go

...once again a great sounding DAP that has no online capability (Tidal Hi-Fi being a big source of my listening). The big question though--does anyone know if the DTR can handle ISO? That's probably my biggest issue with the Calyx because all my SACDs are now in that format to preserve the irreplaceable original discs. Although terrific apps like XRECODE now exist to make the conversion a bit more bearable, it's still my preferred direct format.

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #5,758 of 6,549
1 Main.jpg
Calyx M review by Mikhail Khilko for Porta.Fi​

Of course, this DAP isn't new, but it's still an interesting option. Our guest author summarised his thoughts about Calyx M

English: https://porta.fi/calyx-m-player-review-white-note/
Russian: https://porta.fi/ru/obzor-pleera-calyx-m-white-note/

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #5,759 of 6,549

Users who are viewing this thread

Back