$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Aug 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #4,081 of 6,549
One doesn't have to tag files 1 by 1, there are several programs to make the task faster in mass, including JRiver.
APEs can be converted to FLACs in foobar.
SACD ISOs can be coverted to dff with ISO2DSD software.

I am sorry for those who are missing out this great DAP because of these small shortcomings. A few hours managing the library and all would be fine.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #4,082 of 6,549
  One doesn't have to tag files 1 by 1, there are several programs to make the task faster in mass, including JRiver.
APEs can be converted to FLACs in foobar.
SACD ISOs can be coverted to dff with ISO2DSD software.

I am sorry for those who are missing out this great DAP because of these small shortcomings. A few hours managing the library and all would be fine.

Even with a tagging software, it takes too long for 500GB of library. It's better to make a proper folder navigator. 

APEs can be converted to FLAC but why should we convert the original files? and not play them in the way they are? 

These small updates can make huge changes. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #4,083 of 6,549
Calyx nor Apple should spend any dev time fixing something that is only an issue to you because you get your music from sources that don't tag.  Correct me if I am wrong but how does one get music legally that isn't tagged?

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #4,084 of 6,549
APE to FLAC and SACD ISO to DFF are both lossless to lossless convertions, no quality loss, same music data.
As for tagging, shouldn't take more than a few hours really.
Instead of posting you could be tagging haha. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #4,085 of 6,549
Originally Posted by Matias /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Instead of posting you could be tagging haha. 
wink_face.gif

Hell most players have an auto tag feature.  Just select the media, click fetch from internet and walk away.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #4,087 of 6,549
Aug 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #4,088 of 6,549
  Calyx nor Apple should spend any dev time fixing something that is only an issue to you because you get your music from sources that don't tag.  Correct me if I am wrong but how does one get music legally that isn't tagged?

I have a few albums that I backup from my CD. The track list are written in Chinese (which I can't read) and not available online. 
In CalyxM it will appear as "Various Artist - Track 01" because that's the best I can tag it.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #4,089 of 6,549
Automatic tag should download CD info just fine. If not, well, then these few CDs will be untagged, all the other 99.999% should appear fine. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #4,090 of 6,549
  I have a few albums that I backup from my CD. The track list are written in Chinese (which I can't read) and not available online. 
In CalyxM it will appear as "Various Artist - Track 01" because that's the best I can tag it.

Exactly. I have lots of soundtrack albums in WAV without tags. 
Everything will show up in 'Unknown album' or 'Various artists', making them unusable. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #4,091 of 6,549
Hell most players have an auto tag feature.  Just select the media, click fetch from internet and walk away.

Not sure if there are any good tagging service for Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese mainly) albums. Do share if there is as I had been manually tagging my rips and I still have a couple boxes of 80s CD I haven't had time ripping/tagging yet...

I find this response unnecessarily hostile to kawaivpc1... and fwiw in my experience the files that are available from torrent or whatnot are usually pretty well tagged. Won't speak for others the majority of my manual tagging is really with my rips.

In any case, I don't think tag browsing is a perfect substitute for folder browsing and it's really a very commonly implemented and used feature that should only serve Calyx well for they to implement.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #4,093 of 6,549
Re manual tagging, I think if you are new to computer audio, it can be wearisome, but anyway a DAP assumes that you are in computer audio already, and if you have a large library of music files, IMO it's inevitable to tag your library in order to navigate it via searching and hierarchical menu. To navigate music files from the OS finder to choose one and play it is almost absurd (how much clicks and pointing cursor is required?) and managing the folder structure of the music library organized is far more unstable than keeping tags in music files and let the software manage a DB of tags. I think if you have a large enough library, you can't avoid tagging it. If your library is not so big, managing problematic files manually is not so big deal. If you can't tag them, you can manage the names of the deepest folders for M's folder feature, or of course you can tag them in roman characters. (It's up to your philosophy, Faye Wong vs 王菲?). So a tagging based interface is almost natural on a DAP as well as in PC audio IMO.
M's interface is not ideal, most of all the lack of hierarchical menu is a real problem, but I think it is yet more elegant solution than folder navigation. One exceptional case is when you have to listen to a new file very quickly. Because of the time for library scan, it will be impossible with M, I could do it on AK240 with folder browsing. But I doubt it is really a big deal.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #4,094 of 6,549
In any case, I don't think tag browsing is a perfect substitute for folder browsing and it's really a very commonly implemented and used feature that should only serve Calyx well for they to implement.

Not sure common is the word I would use for something Apple and Microsoft don't offer.  That said, the feature would be nice, I'm just tired of a certain someone who doesn't own an M throwing this back into the conversation on every page.  Just saying 
deadhorse.gif

Did myself the favour of adding them to my block list so at least I won't have to see it.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #4,095 of 6,549
  Re manual tagging, I think if you are new to computer audio, it can be wearisome, but anyway a DAP assumes that you are in computer audio already, and if you have a large library of music files, IMO it's inevitable to tag your library in order to navigate it via searching and hierarchical menu. To navigate music files from the OS finder to choose one and play it is almost absurd (how much clicks and pointing cursor is required?) and managing the folder structure of the music library organized is far more unstable than keeping tags in music files and let the software manage a DB of tags. I think if you have a large enough library, you can't avoid tagging it. If your library is not so big, managing problematic files manually is not so big deal. If you can't tag them, you can manage the names of the deepest folders for M's folder feature, or of course you can tag them in roman characters. (It's up to your philosophy, Faye Wong vs 王菲?). So a tagging based interface is almost natural on a DAP as well as in PC audio IMO.
M's interface is not ideal, most of all the lack of hierarchical menu is a real problem, but I think it is yet more elegant solution than folder navigation. One exceptional case is when you have to listen to a new file very quickly. Because of the time for library scan, it will be impossible with M, I could do it on AK240 with folder browsing. But I doubt it is really a big deal.

Strongly disagree with this. A well maintained folder structure is the definition of stable - as in bulletproof. I cannot believe that anyone fails to do this properly.

That being said, my tags are perfect so I have no problem using the M interface. I still want Folder Browsing. It's faster and lets me control the interface instead of the software dictating the browsing hierarchy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back