$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Aug 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #4,066 of 6,556
I want one!!! Where can we buy it?

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #4,067 of 6,556
Just FYI, if you're thinking of using CalyxM HO as LO, better don't. While the SQ is fairly good, it lacks the oomph.
For comparison, with QLS QA360 line out, I just need to turn the volume to 9 o'clock on my balanced dynalo. But with CalyxM, I need to crank the volume knob to 12 o'clock!

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #4,069 of 6,556
So they'd better have the HF901???

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,071 of 6,556
12 o'clock on a pot or stepped is 5% maximum power or put another way there is still 20x more power available than what is being used... just saying.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4,072 of 6,556
Hi All,

I thought I would pass along some information I just received.  30 Calyx M are in the United States.  They are ready for order now at:

Chane Music and Cinema 

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/calyx/m

There are two other current dealers but they don't have they online order pages up yet. 

Sunil Lekhi Care Audio

www.care-audio.com

Charles Berry  Sight and Sound Gallery

www.sightandsoundgallery.com

For information you can contact Chris Zainea in the US only toll free at 844-225-9961 (844-calyxm1) or by Email calyxm.us@gmail.com

I am not affiliated with Calyx or Chris but Chris has been a supporter for our annual ChiUniFi event the past several years.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #4,074 of 6,556
  Just FYI, if you're thinking of using CalyxM HO as LO, better don't. While the SQ is fairly good, it lacks the oomph.
For comparison, with QLS QA360 line out, I just need to turn the volume to 9 o'clock on my balanced dynalo. But with CalyxM, I need to crank the volume knob to 12 o'clock!

What you are saying is don't use the M as a line out because it had a LO output of 1.2 Vrms instead of a more standard 2. That's not actually relevant unless, at an extreme, you have insufficient volume with your amp + headphone combination.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #4,075 of 6,556
Cardas IEM and Calyx M is just another lovely pairing, but it seems that it is destiny for me to never own a pair of cardas IEM without a problem. The IEM is literally three day old and I noticed there is a crack on the right ear piece. The first one unit I owned had the driver fail after it developed excessive driver flexing. 

Cardas sound is so unique (for most in the wrong way ) that I like to own it for times when I want a sound completely different to all other gears I got. 

Either return the unit back and get it replaced and start the long burnin process again or just forget about it and save up for PF FAD which also offers another unique sound of their own. 

What is strange is that cardas offers 6 months warranty on their IEM which gets extended to one year upon registering your product, can that mean that they too don't really trust their own gear either?

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #4,076 of 6,556
I am trying the M as a line out to feed my newly arrived GS-X mk2 and HD800. I am quite pleased with the results. The GS-X mk2 and HD-800 are highly revealing and the M is holding up pretty well as a home source. However I am getting the best results playing from the internal memory and SD cards. The USB DAC function is comparatively distant and lifeless. It's too bad because it would be much more convenient to operate from Foobar.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #4,077 of 6,556
  I am trying the M as a line out to feed my newly arrived GS-X mk2 and HD800. I am quite pleased with the results. The GS-X mk2 and HD-800 are highly revealing and the M is holding up pretty well as a home source. However I am getting the best results playing from the internal memory and SD cards. The USB DAC function is comparatively distant and lifeless. It's too bad because it would be much more convenient to operate from Foobar.

What a wonderful amp, congrats. I am extremly pleased with calyx, I use it far more than HUGO as it is just more easier. I just hope they can push the battery up to few more hours.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #4,079 of 6,556
  What a wonderful amp, congrats. I am extremly pleased with calyx, I use it far more than HUGO as it is just more easier. I just hope they can push the battery up to few more hours.

true, or offer battery replacements (higher mAh) covered by warranty. and i wish they'd address the battery drain. the battery drains very quickly and it's surprising because it happens even if the device is turned off, sometimes even faster than a smartphone on "sleep"

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #4,080 of 6,556
  Hopefully they'll add ISO and CUE support, proper folder browse and longer playback time with future firmware.
I think those the only things that are lacking from this DAP.

I second. I'm not buying Calyx for this reason. Without a folder browser, I can't really make use of my 500GB music library. Everything will show up in a messed up 'Unknown Artist' folder. I won't tag 500GB of music files just for this. When I bought iPod Classic 5 120GB back in 2008, the same thing happened. Apple doesn't support a proper folder browser. Because of that, I couldn't make use of full 120GB. I couldn't find time to tag 120GB of mp3 files one by one on itunes. I could put max 40GB of tagged files. Later, Rockbox firmware came out and fixed that problem, but it took them very long to make it work. Eventually, I sold my iPod. 
Everyone is complaining about this problem and picking it out as a 'Con' of this device while Calyx guys are not responding to this problem. 

According to them, they're making a new firmware update with a battery life enhancer. Let's wait and see how they fix it. 

Also, APE file isn't supported yet. I can't understand why they haven't added this format to their player. APE is very widely used lossless music file format. I bet it's right next to FLAC and WAV. They should make APE files work on M player!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back