$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
May 22, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #2,881 of 6,550
The iRiver train unfortunately as it stands is just unstoppable and they know it.

Yeah, we all know it won't last forever, but it's going to crash & burn sooner rather than later, if they undermine the value of their own customer's expensive purchases - there's a lot of bad feeling in the AK thread, at the moment, the key factor being that this time it's actual A&K customers who are angry, rather than outsiders.

I think I can live with the idea of stacking an external battery pack (not optimal).

Problem with that is that then you're basically back to a stack, and there's no shortage of stacking options (Centrance M8 etc.), so the Calyx-M would then lose the advantage of being a 1-box solution. This is why, in spite of its faults, I think people underestimate what iBasso have achieved with the DX90, at 140grams.

However... I still subscribe to this thread in the slim hope that the M may weather this early storm and become the high-end DAP it was always intended to be. Their main Korean competitors certainly aren't doing themselves any favours, right now
rolleyes.gif

May 22, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #2,882 of 6,550
I thought this was a Calyx M discussion? 

Well blame D&A, I still yet to see an M in real life and by the sound of it, they are not rushing the US distributor that fast. On FB still no signs of any so in the meantime while D&A ramp up the so called production we just shoot the breeze with upcoming daps, after all this is not an appreciation thread, so far there is nothing to appreciate. :D

May 22, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #2,883 of 6,550
It's my main fear as well, you got to make sure you have some high end market available else they will cannibalize their products but I got to say they don't make it easy for their buyers to differentiate their products insisting more on price differentiator. :frowning2:
We were talking about the double I (II) products and not the Mark 2 and the older lines. :wink:

Oh, I thought he was making a reference in the middle about the older gen of the 120 having a clear sonic difference than the 100 lol

May 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,884 of 6,550
Yeah, we all know it won't last forever, but it's going to crash & burn sooner rather than later, if they undermine the value of their own customer's expensive purchases - there's a lot of bad feeling in the AK thread, at the moment, the key factor being that this time it's actual A&K customers who are angry, rather than outsiders.

Fair enough but they seem to have better praises of the AK240 line so tide may be changing.

However... I still subscribe to this thread in the slim hope that the M may weather this early storm and become the high-end DAP it was always intended to be. Their main Korean competitors certainly aren't doing themselves any favours, right now :rolleyes:

May I call your sticking around the thread a wishful thinking act :wink:
Stick around though, :beerchug: your comments always fuel controversies and enjoyable debates, you'd be missed if you'd vanish from this thread.

Oh, I thought he was making a reference in the middle about the older gen of the 120 having a clear sonic difference than the 100 lol

Who misses those? lmao It's already old tech and now people have moved off Wolfson dacs :D

May 22, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #2,885 of 6,550
However... I still subscribe to this thread in the slim hope that the M may weather this early storm and become the high-end DAP it was always intended to be. Their main Korean competitors certainly aren't doing themselves any favours, right now :rolleyes:

They have done them no big harm, and maybe even doing well in the short term. The 100/120 Mark 2 is just not doing any favors for the small amount of ak240 OWNERS.... I will be VERY cautious to buy any totl model from iriver in future. But clearly iriver thinks moar margin and moar market share us better than a handle more loyal buy-at-launch ak240 customers...

re competition to M, In fact I can see many would be M owners also looking at the similarly priced ak100 mk2.

May 22, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #2,886 of 6,550
re competition to M, In fact I can see many would be M owners also looking at the similarly priced ak100 mk2.

Perhaps,but i for one think the new AK models are ugly. The 240 is gorgeous by comparison. I think the M looks great although i would prefer it to be a little smaller. The only thing that worries me about the M now is how it performs with IEMs. Oh and the short battery life. As long as the sound doesn't degrade as the power runs down i guess it will be ok, if it lasts 6 hours.

I know they changed the output impedance from 3 ohm to something less than 1 ohm in the specs but maybe that is not actual....yet.

May 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #2,887 of 6,550
They have done them no big harm, and maybe even doing well in the short term. The 100/120 Mark 2 is just not doing any favors for the small amount of ak240 OWNERS.... I will be VERY cautious to buy any totl model from iriver in future. But clearly iriver thinks moar margin and moar market share us better than a handle more loyal buy-at-launch ak240 customers...

I'd like to propose everyone follows your advice except maybe me and some believers that when someone tells you stay away from future lines that means the line might get very popular and you don't want to be left behind when it does. :wink:

I think that the Mark 2 line is dead on the get go and M might be competing with their newer products so if I was D&A CEO I would dreadfully fear what's coming up very soon.
Even though the UI isn't perfection on both sides SQ and versatility might keep him up at night.

May 22, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #2,888 of 6,550
I think Calyx was right to release to the Korean maket first. We see that there are many small issues and bugfixes being done, it is a lot better and faster for them to solve one-to-one in their native language with customers nearby to ship back if needed. It looks like the koreans are the early adopters, beta testers, ironing the wrinks, so that when the product rolls out worldwide it will be far more polished and stable. What good would it be to sell the M everywhere just to have people shipping back with problems, or troubleshooting around the globe, etc?

As for the US distributor, maybe they are looking for one? I don't know. Instead of waiting, if you have a headphone dealer you know and trust, why don't you ask them to carry the Calyx M? Maybe they will get interested and contact Calyx.

May 22, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #2,889 of 6,550
Perhaps,but i for one think the new AK models are ugly. The 240 is gorgeous by comparison. I think the M looks great although i would prefer it to be a little smaller. The only thing that worries me about the M now is how it performs with IEMs. Oh and the short battery life. As long as the sound doesn't degrade as the power runs down i guess it will be ok, if it lasts 6 hours.

I know they changed the output impedance from 3 ohm to something less than 1 ohm in the specs but maybe that is not actual....yet.

I guess we all have our own sense of aesthetic, I find the AK240 ugly and prefer the simple lines of the new product besides it looks like us human with a big forehead where the knob hangs in there (draw your own analogy :D ). The AK240 I still haven't figured out what that reminds me of except some Picasso painting maybe.

As for the US distributor, maybe they are looking for one? I don't know. Instead of waiting, if you have a headphone dealer you know and trust, why don't you ask them to carry the Calyx M? Maybe they will get interested and contact Calyx.

Maybe the US distributors are hiding from them :D

Hey D&A give me a ring and I'll take a sample show it to my folks. :)

May 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,890 of 6,550
Well if you want to start a new company sure go ahead, maybe they are really looking for distributors. You know that minimum order quantities apply, no way to fool then asking for a single sample hehehe.

May 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,893 of 6,550
Surprise...Who's that?
This is Hiyat!!
Nice to see you here...
Welcome.

May 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,894 of 6,550
0.6 firmware is up on the Calyx site.

Still not seeing where the new AK hate is coming from.  The AK240 is barely more expensive than the AK120II, has twice the memory, better materials, four more processor cores, native dsd and full usb dac support.

As for an NA retailer for the M, they made it pretty clear it wasn't coming until they had approvals so they would be on the free trade list.

May 22, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #2,895 of 6,550
0.6 firmware is up on the Calyx site.

Still not seeing where the new AK hate is coming from.  The AK240 is barely more expensive than the AK120II, has twice the memory, better materials, four more processor cores, native dsd and full usb dac support.

As for an NA retailer for the M, they made it pretty clear it wasn't coming until they had approvals so they would be on the free trade list.

They should have applied way in advance so they would have had the clearance by now. It's all about prep work.

I am on the side of liking the AK II proposal, all of the features make both of them a very attractive proposition at any prices below 2k. It's looking very tempting on my side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back