$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Mar 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #1,636 of 6,549
  Just a thought... Will the magnetic slider cause massive scratching over time...? In the demo video you can already see some marks where the paint is just being scratched away... 

From what I could see on Facebook, that slider was a very simple mock-up using a cheap magnet. It was not the fancy slider one sees rendered in their CAD graphics. I think that those marks were actually the magnet eroding and leaving residue. We don't know what the actual slider will be like yet. I am not too worried about it causing scratching though. Time will tell.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,637 of 6,549
^ the video demo on their FB page doesn't leave me with a good impression in their magnetic volume slider.
I really hope the final implementation will be much better

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,638 of 6,549

From what I could see on Facebook, that slider was a very simple mock-up using a cheap magnet. It was not the fancy slider one sees rendered in their CAD graphics. I think that those marks were actually the magnet eroding and leaving residue. We don't know what the actual slider will be like yet. I am not too worried about it causing scratching though. Time will tell.

Are jumping in on the pre-order? Will definitely appreciate your impression especially comparing it with DX50. I am enjoying it much and still deciding between M and DX90. An impression from a member like you will make decisions much easier. lol.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,639 of 6,549

Are jumping in on the pre-order? Will definitely appreciate your impression especially comparing it with DX50. I am enjoying it much and still deciding between M and DX90. An impression from a member like you will make decisions much easier. lol.

I honestly thought that it would be a no-brainer to jump at the pre-order but real life tends to intrude in these things and I find myself with significant expenses on other important things and no immediate need for another DAP. I am very excited by the M but it's a luxury and not a cheap one. 

They key point here for you is that the X5 has made the M a luxury, not the DX50. The DX50 is a good source from the line out but I don't like on its own as a DAP. I find it be thin and lacking the kind of presence and oomph that a good amp like the Pico Power brings to the table and which, quite remarkably, the X5 does pretty well on its own.

So... I will wait and see the exact details of the international release. I may be hard-pressed not to buy it - I am really excited by the M:use interface and have high hopes for the sound quality. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,640 of 6,549
I should add that eventually I will get the M. I am quite sure of that. I am not sure that the $150 saving originally announced - while material - has made it a short-term necessity given other factors. (hint...hint...   
smile.gif
)

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #1,643 of 6,549
There is a bit of a discussion on the price on Facebook haha.
Apparently, the price of $650 was only for Februari and in March the prices went up, even locals have to pay $800...

I also think that they seem a bit arrogant when answering questions... Not the friendly replies that you would wish for... I hope they were honest about their SQ comparison with the AK240 but their general approach in answering questions is making me think otherwise.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #1,645 of 6,549
Apparently, the price of $650 was only for Februari and in March the prices went up, even locals have to pay $800...

I also think that they seem a bit arrogant when answering questions... Not the friendly replies that you would wish for... I hope they were honest about their SQ comparison with the AK240 but their general approach in answering questions is making me think otherwise.

That's stupid. So Koreans have to pay 800 now. So the difference on international order cost actually is 50. Not like 200 from 650 to 850. So considering they add 50 only to international price, I am fine with 700 (650 + 50).

At this price (only 150 less from the normal price) I rather not to take risk honestly. Especially after seeing their fetish on volume slider and digital out (not that I want digital out rather I understand the need for it).

If it performs like their FB says (better than AK240) and the slider is somehow safe to use in jeans pocket, I don't mind paying the normal price. However the point of pre order discount is meaningless because it is absurdly small especially compared to 650 of local market price.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,646 of 6,549
That's stupid. So Koreans have to pay 800 now. So the difference on international order cost actually is 50. Not like 200 from 650 to 850. So considering they add 50 only to international price, I am fine with 700 (650 + 50).

At this price (only 150 less from the normal price) I rather not to take risk honestly. Especially after seeing their fetish on volume slider and digital out (not that I want digital out rather I understand the need for it).

If it performs like their FB says (better than AK240) and the slider is somehow safe to use in jeans pocket, I don't mind paying the normal price. However the point of pre order discount is meaningless because it is absurdly small especially compared to 650 of local market price.

All that matters now is SQ. Both DAC and amp performance must be substantially better than DX90 before I drop a grand.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #1,647 of 6,549

^^ David Vs Andy??? lol

Haha that would be me trying to speak up for the rest of you guys here. Would be helpful if more people from head-fi post supporting comments in the FB.
I do find Calyx replies not sincere.
Initially he said the $650 is only for February and now is March. After that he changed his tune and said it's only for Koreans.
Quite biased if you ask me. Won't be surprised if their marketing service are geared towards iRiver in the future.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #1,648 of 6,549
^ I also posted some comments on their FB wall.
My argument is that they never open the international pre-order back in February.

I do notice that their replies tend to be a bit arrogant.
Worried that they will end up like iRiver

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #1,650 of 6,549
^ I also posted some comments on their FB wall.
My argument is that they never open the international pre-order back in February.

I do notice that their replies tend to be a bit arrogant.
Worried that they will end up like iRiver

Great! Staying quiet and letting it slide isn't good or it'll make it seem as headfiers are easy pushovers. They might change their stance if they get flooded with negative feedback

I really liked how one head fier member put it pages back.If we can't do movies playback or net surfing why add a huge 4.65 inch OLED? Battery is wasted .

That would probably be me haha.
It would be a cool feature to watch music videos or movies with great SQ. But it's so pointless having a big HD screen on a DAP just for album art... unnecessary increase in cost and retail price too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back