$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Mar 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,517 of 6,549
At $850 I will get either the DX90 or X5. If the price was closer to the deal they have for Korea I would probably get the Calyx M.

Given us international folks are most likely taking more of a risk in terms of hassles around of taxes, logistics, payment surcharge, delivery, support, warranty etc than local Korean buyers, I was hoping to get a preorder price at least equal to, if not better than the Korean deal. Has to say very disappointed and this is really steering me away from it....

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,519 of 6,549
I don't want to keep beating the colorfly C4 drum on head fi....but I've been using a slider for over a year now and is great! It is different on the C4, with its quality ALPS innards, it's long throw for precise smooth volume transitions, permanent fixing, etc. It's great and very instinctive. It's all in the detail of implementation....so if you guys are sending not so subtle hints to Calyx, then maybe a, '...If you are keeping the slider, it better be perfect in it's use and ability', might be the easy to go?! Just trying to help and allay fears :wink:

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,520 of 6,549

Get rid of the volume slider and I'll willingly pay $999:

shut-up 
duggehsmile.png

I'll take me one of each of those thing-a-ma-bobs pictured above though (gonna be a bi&#H saving up for around a PC build, Will be joining the party way past midnight 
tongue_smile.gif
 )

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,524 of 6,549
...not going to get it either. I would have purchased it, no questions, for 650 USD but at 850 USD that's really not comparable to the Korean presale. I too have big reservations with the slider volume implementation. I wish the best to the early adopters if the Calyx M. The Astell & Kern Ak120 is looking more and more like the ideal DAP for me at this point....

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,526 of 6,549
with most features on the x5 and fiio being so responsive I am leaning toward x5 now. Due to lack of LO and digital I would pay $700 but no more. You gave Koreans $650 but $200 increase is high even for shipping and vat etc.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,527 of 6,549
I found the international pre order price extremely high, compared to the domestic pre order price. I don't believe international warranty-shipping would add 200 USD.

That was first; second, they insist on slider design apparently. I share thoughts with Mython, I don't believe it is a good choice for pocket player (Mython explained it perfectly in his long post, I can't add more on it with my non native English).

So what do we have here? Very high price (only 150 USD less than regular price, it is like a joke) and a extremely weird design choice. As many times before I mentioned, I respected them with their decisions on Output Impedance change, FWD/RWD buttons, capacity over stupid wifi but I guess, they really want to keep that design, so I might just stay behind and wait for other products, as I am not really horribly in rush to buy a player.

There is even X5, for only 350 bucks, it brings the worlds to you, heck if I can even force myself to live with the size of HM901, you can get the best sounding player for 1 grand only.

Another option for great sound is, there is R10 from Japan, its price is keep on getting reduction, that might also a solution but of course the size is an issue.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,528 of 6,549
Maybe I'm the odd one out here but I don't mind a sliding volume, then again I don't adjust the volume much and I'd need to have it in my hands to see how much force is needed to move the slider. At $850 I'll probably wait for impressions..

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #1,529 of 6,549
  [J]ust because the slider is capable of fine resolution (as Calyx have responded, to someone, on their Facebook page) does not mean that it is easy for a user to actually actuate in fine resolution. There is only just so much fine motor control a person has. . . .

It's an especially important consideration for me, as one who has limited dexterity and fine motor control.

Best regards,
Brian

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,530 of 6,549

I still sincerely believe it is a gargantuan mistake to rush the M through to production without a D-O,.....

AHHHH, so I am not the only one ! 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back