$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,051 of 6,550

They made high end audio equipment. Haven't you heard Femto? Check it out. Calyx says if you like Femto, M would suit you.

it's not budget end is it, the Femto 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #1,054 of 6,550
  makes the M look a good price then...
beerchug.gif

Well, I don't expect M to sound as good as Femto, but it will have the same sound signature apparently. I read about Femto, also there was a small explanation about Calyx house sound somewhere in this thread if I remember correctly. All and all, the sound suits me fine but of course, no dap (or headphone/earphone) can rule them all. There will be people who doesn't like the presentation so it is better to make research a bit before buying an expensive device like that.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,055 of 6,550

Well, I don't expect M to sound as good as Femto, but it will have the same sound signature apparently. I read about Femto, also there was a small explanation about Calyx house sound somewhere in this thread if I remember correctly. All and all, the sound suits me fine but of course, no dap (or headphone/earphone) can rule them all. There will be people who doesn't like the presentation so it is better to make research a bit before buying an expensive device like that.

on the plus side the M will be a lot more portable and I wouldn't need a long extension cable for my daily commute...
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,056 of 6,550
on the plus side the M will be a lot more portable and I wouldn't need a long extension cable for my daily commute...:wink:

lol, i meant extension cable :D

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,057 of 6,550
I heard the name but never looked into them. The only femto I do know is the femto galaxy clock in my msb stack. It looks really good . About the only gripe I have is a balanced dac topology. Not saying IRS no good withouth it. It's just that that is where they should be going towards . As I have a hibino hdpr10. It's fine and I do use an external amp. And it improves it. I would be fine paying a few hundred more and get it balanced. I do not want the iBasso dap as they had the dx100. And in my opinion that was just a debockale from the beginning. Inwas lucky and ENT to the hibino.
The ak120 was fine but the sound lacked the impact and detail that the hibino has. Now the ak240 may have the features but they are out of there mind with the price. So it looks like the M is winner for now.

Al

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,058 of 6,550
Balanced is not a must. Good implemented/designed SE output can perform better than many balanced setups or vice versa.

Wouldn't it be nice? Yeah, but I am fine with SE output too. Probably successor of M will bring more battery life as well as balanced output and probably cleaner sound with more powerful amp section. Of course, the dap will be probably quite thicker/bigger than M with those features.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #1,059 of 6,550
That is true. , and I plan to use my own amp anyway. As good as these daps sound. And external amp does improve them. And I already own two amps so why not right. . Both my amps are balanced so I guess it's my greed playing in this lol.

Al

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,060 of 6,550
  Probably successor of M will bring more battery life as well as balanced output and probably cleaner sound with more powerful amp section. Of course, the dap will be probably quite thicker/bigger than M with those features.

What, no D-O?!
tongue_smile.gif

I reckon this current iteration of the M is going to be a runaway best-seller, and if it is, that bodes well for future Calyx DAPs, too.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,061 of 6,550
That is true. , and I plan to use my own amp anyway. As good as these daps sound. And external amp does improve them. And I already own two amps so why not right. . Both my amps are balanced so I guess it's my greed playing in this lol.

Al

Hi Al, why not get Hifiman HM-901? The recent batch has improved a lot of early build quality e.g. Spin wheel and stuff
Two ESS9018 desktop type DAC not mobile variant,high resolution and impact
Balance out
Buy one more batterty and can last for 10hours
Size is bulky but still smaller than the hibino
Will not be a step down from your hibino.
I recommend becos I see you value SQ the most and would carry amp..

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,062 of 6,550
I do and that is a good choice for me . I guess I am waiting it out a little more to see what comes out. It's not like I do not have nothing to use. The one thing about the hm901
It's size and that dumb wheel. It just looks stupid. But we will see.

Al

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,064 of 6,550
The hibino is a brick. The M is thin like a iPhone. As I can put the hibino in my pNts pocket but it gets the girls looking.

Al

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,065 of 6,550
The hibino is a brick. The M is thin like a iPhone. As I can put the hibino in my pNts pocket but it gets the girls looking.

Yep. As a former DX100 owner, I concur, and warned AmberOzL of exactly that situation! lol

Calyx-M is extremely tempting as an alternative (for IEM/CIEM users) who need a DAP that will fit into a trouser pocket with a reasonable degree of discretion. It's still big, but at least it's only half the thickness of a DX100/HDP-R10/HM-901

Users who are viewing this thread

Back