$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 28, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #5,491 of 6,549
Now you lost me... I just checked calyx.kr and it seems that the latest firmware is 1.01, which is installed on my M and which gladly accepted your modded firmware. Where is the 1.02 coming from and is your firmware based on 1.02?

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read the messages regarding the AExxx serial numbers. Mine is an AHxxxx, so I guess I should not upgrade to v1.02.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #5,492 of 6,549
  Now you lost me... I just checked calyx.kr and it seems that the latest firmware is 1.01, which is installed on my M and which gladly accepted your modded firmware. Where is the 1.02 coming from and is your firmware based on 1.02?

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read the messages regarding the AExxx serial numbers. Mine is an AHxxxx, so I guess I should not upgrade to v1.02.

I'm sure official FW is 1.01 but some people told me they updated to 1.02 but couldn't flash back to 1.01. So, I made this file for him to test and see if it works with my modified ROM and can be rolled back.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #5,494 of 6,549
With pleasure. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #5,495 of 6,549
Just got the M and scanned the thread. Having a love/hate relationship right now with this player. The SQ is great but suffers from the Sabre brightness/blaring issue. Sounds great at low volume, but as you turn up the volume the brightness and treble edge come out and starts to blare. However, the sound stage and note thickness is wonderful as is the amp. The amp is a hit or miss though as it seems to be running hot and easily overcome in complex passages where SQ breaks down. 

Did not see any work arounds to the UI issues in the thread. Has anyone found a quick way too add all tracks to a playlist at once to play in shuffle mode? It would take me all day to add albums or artists one at a time and impossible to find missed albums/artists as my library changes. Please tell me that there is a way to use an external software package to create playlists that can be added to the player to play from all internal and SD/MicroSD cards as a complete library.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #5,496 of 6,549
Brightness and blaring was caused by ROM settings and capacitor size mismatch. There's also output current limit in factor too. I modded Calyx M for few people here and the result was great.

You can try my recent public ROM mod for smoother UI. I wonder if I can replace with launcher but doesn't seem possible right now.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #5,500 of 6,549
  Brightness and blaring was caused by ROM settings and capacitor size mismatch. There's also output current limit in factor too. I modded Calyx M for few people here and the result was great.

You can try my recent public ROM mod for smoother UI. I wonder if I can replace with launcher but doesn't seem possible right now.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Wow, that is very interesting. Do you discuss these mods in a thread or just through PM? I am liking the M more and more over time and would love to find a way to make it work for me.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #5,501 of 6,549
  Wow, that is very interesting. Do you discuss these mods in a thread or just through PM? I am liking the M more and more over time and would love to find a way to make it work for me.

Now you mentioned it, I mostly talked about it in PM. Some people also sent Calyx M to me for fixing those problems. I also do all kinds of mods for other DAPs too in Thailand. Yesterday I deliver my ultimate DX90 mod to my old friend and he told me it's pretty much on par with AK380 but can enjoy more music genres. I'm also going to send my ultimate DX90 mod with modded VE Zen 2.0 to one customer today too. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #5,502 of 6,549
  Does the M sound more seriously and better than Aune M1?
Would it be crucial SQ upgrade from Aune M1 to Calyx M?

EDIT: Sorry, meant the M2 while you were talking the M1. Have not heard the M1.

The M and the Aune M2 are very special DAPs in terms of SQ, but I am not sure I would say the Calyx beats the Aune in SQ, in fact, right now I would favor the Aune. Would have to listen again side by side, but owning the M does not stop me from wanting the Aune. My hesitation in buying the Aune is pretty shallow actually as it comes down to form/UI. The M is definitely eye candy even with its worthless UI. Will probably end up with an Aune soon. In terms of SQ, the only two DAPs I feel beat the M2 are the LPG and the new Sony WM1a/z. I personally think the Aune beats the AK380 in SQ, but the 380 kills it in UI and sex appeal.

The M is growing on me due to its sound stage and its thick notes along with a very very black background, but suffers from the choice of a Sabre - unless WindowsX has a fix for that. I am learning to live with its short comings though becoming addicted to the full sized sound.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #5,503 of 6,549
The M and the Aune are very special DAPs in terms of SQ, but I am not sure I would say the Calyx beats the Aune in SQ, in fact, right now I would favor the Aune. Would have to listen again side by side, but owning the M does not stop me from wanting the Aune. My hesitation in buying the Aune is pretty shallow actually as it comes down to form/UI. The M is definitely eye candy even with its worthless UI. Will probably end up with an Aune soon. In terms of SQ, the only two DAPs I feel beat the M1 are the LPG and the new Sony WM1a/z. I personally think the Aune beats the AK380 in SQ, but the 380 kills it in UI and sex appeal.

The M is growing on me due to its sound stage and its thick notes along with a very very black background, but suffers from the choice of a Sabre - unless WindowsX has a fix for that. I am learning to live with its short comings though becoming addicted to the full sized sound.

Wow did you mean aune m1? Is that so spectacular? How about aune m1 vs aune m2, because i love m2 and calyx m but never heard aune m1..

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #5,504 of 6,549

The M and the Aune are very special DAPs in terms of SQ, but I am not sure I would say the Calyx beats the Aune in SQ, in fact, right now I would favor the Aune. Would have to listen again side by side, but owning the M does not stop me from wanting the Aune. My hesitation in buying the Aune is pretty shallow actually as it comes down to form/UI. The M is definitely eye candy even with its worthless UI. Will probably end up with an Aune soon. In terms of SQ, the only two DAPs I feel beat the M1 are the LPG and the new Sony WM1a/z. I personally think the Aune beats the AK380 in SQ, but the 380 kills it in UI and sex appeal.

Wow did you mean aune m1? Is that so spectacular? How about aune m1 vs aune m2, because i love m2 and calyx m but never heard aune m1..

Sorry, typo, I meant Aune M2. Heard the M2 vs. the M2 pro and the pro is even better. But the M2 is the best value. I keep hoping I can find a used M2 at a discount so I can pick one up.

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #5,505 of 6,549
Went around buying/selling different DAPs (Hifiman, Cowon Plenue, AK Jr, Sony ZX2, Opus #1, Mojo, QP1R) to try, and still could not find a DAP which is close to Calyx M in terms of sound quality.

Just bought a brand new Calyx M again. It is now serial number starting from BB-0XXX!

Last DAP used was QP1R. Very detailed, but not as musical as Calyx M. Realised that I would get bored with listening to QP1R after a short while.

Very magical experience with Calyx M though. Can work on emails, PPT, and different work assignments while enjoying the Calyx M for the whole day! After all the experience of different DAPs, I can now confirmed that this will be the only DAP for me.

Cool DAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back