$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Sep 24, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #5,461 of 6,549
  How would the Calyx M work with Shure SE846 IEMs?  Would the impedance of the Shure's be too low to cause problems?  How would the V-Moda Crossfade M-100's pair with the M?  How about the Audeze EL-8 closed back?

In general, I've had no problems pairing any of my BA IEMs. I own the Shure SE535 and it works well with the M. The only IEMs, that are a hit or miss, are Dynamics. Some require the M Jack and some don't. The only Planar that I own is the HiFiMAN HE-500. I think the 500 is fairly inefficient but on high gain the M drives it to decent levels, IMO. I don't know how efficient the Audeze EL-8 is but it's also a closed back, so you don't have to compete with ambient noise.  As far as, what IEMs/Headphone pairing suites your taste, is subjective.  

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #5,462 of 6,549
Can anyone confirm that a genuine 512 Gigabyte Sandisk SD Card will be compatible with the Calyx M?  How likely would a 1 Terabyte SD Card work?  Just curious.  I know it is not available yet.  I know it has only been announced.  A 512 would work for me for a long time before filling up.  I have less than 400 Gigabytes of music currently.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #5,463 of 6,549
  Can anyone confirm that a genuine 512 Gigabyte Sandisk SD Card will be compatible with the Calyx M?  How likely would a 1 Terabyte SD Card work?  Just curious.  I know it is not available yet.  I know it has only been announced.  A 512 would work for me for a long time before filling up.  I have less than 400 Gigabytes of music currently.

They're compatible... many people confirmed it. It's known to have slower scanning time when inserting card for the first time. 
I heard they're trying to fix that with firmware update. 

SanDisk 512GB works well.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #5,464 of 6,549

They're compatible... many people confirmed it. It's known to have slower scanning time when inserting card for the first time. 
I heard they're trying to fix that with firmware update. 

SanDisk 512GB works well.

Thanks!  I look forward to getting an M and 512 Gigabyte SD card when I get some extra cash.  Scan time doesn't bother me.  I have ways to manage it.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #5,469 of 6,549
  Does anyone of you know if I need this strange little adapter if I would listen from the Calyx M with the Oriolus IEMs?
And how do they pair?

I have  the Oriolus (love them) and have used them with the M with no hiss problems.  Alas, somethng is amiss with my M now, and I cannot tell if it is not turning on, or if the screen has died. It looks like it draws more current from the charger when I hold the "on switch" then when I release it. Am waiting to hear back on how to get it fixed.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #5,470 of 6,549
  I have  the Oriolus (love them) and have used them with the M with no hiss problems.  Alas, somethng is amiss with my M now, and I cannot tell if it is not turning on, or if the screen has died. It looks like it draws more current from the charger when I hold the "on switch" then when I release it. Am waiting to hear back on how to get it fixed.

Hi, thanks for the info. Can you please tell me if I can plug the cable directly into the M or would I need an adapter? I´m sorry to hear your problems with the M. I once had a similar problem and just charged it and then it was fixed again ...

Edit: The name of the adapter is "M-jack" as far as I know ... but I don´t know what it does and when/why/for what it is needed

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #5,471 of 6,549

Hi, thanks for the info. Can you please tell me if I can plug the cable directly into the M or would I need an adapter? I´m sorry to hear your problems with the M. I once had a similar problem and just charged it and then it was fixed again ...

Edit: The name of the adapter is "M-jack" as far as I know ... but I don´t know what it does and when/why/for what it is needed

The M Jack is an impedance matching device, which essentially lowers the perceived gain of the device to avoid hiss.  The Oriolus has a standard 3.5mm plug, and the "M" has the appropriate jack.  I really love the Oriolus as did several people who I played them for at RMAF last weekend.

They will make a nice pairing.  NB, I am 60 years old and do not have the most sensitive high frequency hearing, but the plugs are most definitely compatible.

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #5,472 of 6,549
Noticed that there is a most updated firmware version 1.02, but for special earlier set with serial number between AE0101~AE0832. Wonder if there is a hardware difference between these sets?
http://www.calyx.kr/xe/index.php?mid=notice&page=3&document_srl=32998

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #5,473 of 6,549
Noticed that there is a most updated firmware version 1.02, but for special earlier set with serial number between AE0101~AE0832. Wonder if there is a hardware difference between these sets?
http://www.calyx.kr/xe/index.php?mid=notice&page=3&document_srl=32998

I believe this is update is pretty old now.  It was for M owners within a certain serial number range.  Those serial numbers were having some kind of specific problems.  It has been too long to remember what they were and I don't have time to look for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back