$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Dec 16, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #5,506 of 6,549
Went around buying/selling different DAPs (Hifiman, Cowon Plenue, AK Jr, Sony ZX2, Opus #1, Mojo, QP1R) to try, and still could not find a DAP which is close to Calyx M in terms of sound quality.

Just bought a brand new Calyx M again. It is now serial number starting from BB-0XXX!

Last DAP used was QP1R. Very detailed, but not as musical as Calyx M. Realised that I would get bored with listening to QP1R after a short while.

Very magical experience with Calyx M though. Can work on emails, PPT, and different work assignments while enjoying the Calyx M for the whole day! After all the experience of different DAPs, I can now confirmed that this will be the only DAP for me.

Cool DAP!

It really is a magical piece of gear. Every time I cycle through my other DAPs and return to the M, I'm amazed!

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #5,507 of 6,549
And it definitely can get so much better with hardware/software modification. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #5,508 of 6,549

It really is a magical piece of gear. Every time I cycle through my other DAPs and return to the M, I'm amazed!

It surprises me the M is not better know in audio circles or more popular on head-fi. I took it to Axpona this year. Every station I visited to audition iems, the sales reps did not recognize the M. Most thought it was a Sony  (except Chris who is the Calyx Sales Rep).

The M got a bad break from the start on this thread. Most of the early reviews were negative long before the unit was even released. The only DAP I've found that I like more in sound is the Paw Gold, but it can't work as a DAC and the UI is not as good as the M. Hopefully it's popularity will continue to grow and Calyx will take notice and offer some upgrades down the road. Otherwise I pretty happy with it.

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #5,509 of 6,549
Calyx has been keeping a very low profile. Have not heard anything from them since PaT release back in Q1 2015...

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #5,510 of 6,549

It surprises me the M is not better know in audio circles or more popular on head-fi. I took it to Axpona this year. Every station I visited to audition iems, the sales reps did not recognize the M. Most thought it was a Sony  (except Chris who is the Calyx Sales Rep).

The M got a bad break from the start on this thread. Most of the early reviews were negative long before the unit was even released. The only DAP I've found that I like more in sound is the Paw Gold, but it can't work as a DAC and the UI is not as good as the M. Hopefully it's popularity will continue to grow and Calyx will take notice and offer some upgrades down the road. Otherwise I pretty happy with it.

I just wonder if all the Ms that are being sold are NOS (New Old Stock) and they are no longer being manufactured. If that's not the case, why doesn't Calyx continue to support it? Truly a mystery.

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #5,511 of 6,549

I just wonder if all the Ms that are being sold are NOS (New Old Stock) and they are no longer being manufactured. If that's not the case, why doesn't Calyx continue to support it? Truly a mystery.

Not sure why they are not providing further support, but they are still selling well and stocks are flowing, at least at the shop that I regularly visit.

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #5,512 of 6,549
Not sure why they are not providing further support, but they are still selling well and stocks are flowing, at least at the shop that I regularly visit.

Maybe one day, Calyx will reward users, for our continued support.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #5,513 of 6,549

Maybe one day Calyx will reward users for our continued support.

Agree. My 2nd purchase and should be considered a loyal customer.

I have to say, whether the firmware requires further upgrade (for better stability, or some says for better sound quality), the current sound quality is still the best that I have heard after going through all the buy/sell experience. It has its short comings - short battery life, OS can be more stable (though I have not encountered major issues so far), but for its strength of the Sound Quality it produces, it is worth buying it.

There are many new DAPs with exaggerated reviews. I have just had one of the "best" player in the market, QP1R, which is known to be better sounding than WM1A, ZX2, and close to LPG and AK380. To my preference, Calyx M sounds better and more musical than that.

Will not look at new DAP for a while. Happy listening!

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #5,514 of 6,549
Went around buying/selling different DAPs (Hifiman, Cowon Plenue, AK Jr, Sony ZX2, Opus #1, Mojo, QP1R) to try, and still could not find a DAP which is close to Calyx M in terms of sound quality.

Just bought a brand new Calyx M again. It is now serial number starting from BB-0XXX!

Last DAP used was QP1R. Very detailed, but not as musical as Calyx M. Realised that I would get bored with listening to QP1R after a short while.

Very magical experience with Calyx M though. Can work on emails, PPT, and different work assignments while enjoying the Calyx M for the whole day! After all the experience of different DAPs, I can now confirmed that this will be the only DAP for me.

Cool DAP!

Can not believe you can get work done while listening. I find I get pulled into the music and forget I should be working. :wink:

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #5,515 of 6,549
Can not believe you can get work done while listening. I find I get pulled into the music and forget I should be working.
wink.gif

Depending on the music, I do get pulled into the music time to time!

For the last few months, I have been trying out a couple of high end players with lots of great reviews, and they all sounded great as what reviews described - detailed, wide soundstage, etc. but most lack life to music. Tried them in workplace, travel on train, at home, etc. Could not listen for a long period of time, and could not "get into" the music. Music just seem colder.

Back to Calyx M finally and facing the same short battery life for a DAP, but I have been listening with it for the last 2 hours while clearing work and finding the same songs just seems more lively and musical, and yearning to listen to more!

A really magical experience. Didn't get that from other DAPs that I have owned and sold.

I guess this is the subtle difference in this unique player.

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5,517 of 6,549
  I have been using the Calyx M directly with my Layla 2 without the M adapter. Anyone knows which IEMs will require the use of the M adapter?

My experience has been, I've only needed the M Jack with Dynamic Drivers and not all, but I've never needed it with a BA. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back