$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Apr 17, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #2,221 of 6,550
I still reckon it's gonna sing.

But I can't help but be peeved that it now weighs 230g. That may not sound like much, but believe me, I really struggled to use a DX100 in my jeans pocket (265g) - in fact, I gave up trying to do so.

DX90, on the other hand, is just 140g.

But weight issues aside, I bet there's quite a few AK240 owners nervously waiting to see if the Calyx-M SQ blows the AK240 out of the water, for 2.5 x less money (and better looks).

I doubt it will thrash the AK240 but I do anticipate the Calyx-M having slightly better SQ (driving CIEMs). But, as Zachchen already noted, we won't know for sure until it's actually released. The clock is ticking....

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #2,222 of 6,550
It's definitively big and with the weight I seriously doubt one will be inclined to put it in their pants pockets unless you don't mind having the pants dropped to the floor. (belts mandatory) :p

The limited USB DAC connectivity for the DX90 is a serious strike against it and breath a new life for the Calyx M. You can still use the M transported in some bag of some kind but will be awkward to handle if you need to change volume or tune or both. Transportability requires size restriction which limits the design and most often the sq. So my hat to those who can cram every once of performance in tiny daps, it's not easy.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,223 of 6,550
I bet there's quite a few AK240 owners nervously waiting....

/sheepishly putting hands up

But I guess am more anxiously waiting than nervously waiting - as ak240 owner, I don't mind, or would even hope, M sound vastly better. I just need to be the first or one of the first to know it locally so I can let go of my AK240 without losing too much value :wink:

I am certain M would have better price:performance ratio than the AK240 but I care more about getting the absolute best. Would be interesting to see how M turns out... one more month to wait!

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #2,224 of 6,550
/sheepishly putting hands up

But I guess am more anxiously waiting than nervously waiting - as ak240 owner, I don't mind, or would even hope, M sound vastly better. I just need to be the first or one of the first to know it locally so I can let go of my AK240 without losing too much value :wink:

I am certain M would have better price:performance ratio than the AK240 but I care more about getting the absolute best. Would be interesting to see how M turns out... one more month to wait!

I don't think you have to fear about your AK240, the features set you have on the player plus its size keep it in a class on its own. Having seen your impression and the ones from others, the only debate that has always existed and might I say that for quite a few it's not even an issue, is the price tag. The shape for some which I myself had issues in the past now has placed the player among the top works of art has an intriguing story which I would have liked to hear the English translation. Everyone once in a whole likes a good story. If money is no object, the AK240 is an attractive solution.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #2,225 of 6,550
Since I JUST bought a HUGO, I am more anxious about the M 'S SQ versus the HUGO's SQ. :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #2,226 of 6,550
What source are you using your Hugo with?
Since I JUST bought a HUGO, I am more anxious about the M 'S SQ versus the HUGO's SQ. :)

Not sure if you are going to see an owner having both, Calyx M won't share digital or LO with Hugo anytime soon. Why worry then if you have Hugo? You're thinking you could make a mistake and miss buying the Calyx M?

On another note D&A has just announced that they are working on setting the sales for international distribution;

"We are doing our best to ship M as soon as possible to overseas customers.
To do that, we are doing paper works including "Country Of Origin" This means they don't have to pay the duty when they buy M, where people live in the countries of FTA with South Korea. US, EU, ASEAN counturies, India, Canada and etc."

Let's hope they'll be able to do it by May.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #2,227 of 6,550
....You're thinking you could make a mistake and miss buying the Calyx M?...

Well, ** IF ** the SQ of the M is on par with the SQ of HUGO, then... the M is a better/simpler solution that my "AK100+HUGO", with only 1 piece and à much modern UI than Ak100's UI.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #2,228 of 6,550
Well, ** IF ** the SQ of the M is on par with the SQ of HUGO, then... the M is a better/simpler solution that my "AK100+HUGO", with only 1 piece and à much modern UI than Ak100's UI.

You could have waited until it's out and impressions given before buying the Hugo. :wink:
Sure you can sell the Hugo but it's a pain and you loose by having to offer it at a lower price.

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,229 of 6,550
I'll be coming from a 160gig Cowon X7 with the full size official Cowon leather case, so the size and weight of the M, fortunately, isn't really an issue for me, but I can totally understand how a lot of people are going to find it a bit of a beast to carry around. But I presume anyone currently with a DAP/separate amp brick sandwich won't struggle too much either (as long as the M is capable unamped, of course).

I don't know, I kind of like the look of the AK240, but the M certainly beats it aesthetically.

Also, an update on their FB page seems to suggest that they will be at least selling to overseas customers with a work-around to avoid the custom duty, so hopefully I'll be okay if there's no direct UK dealer.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,230 of 6,550
the calyx-m is obviouslly a high end player - the whole concept including implementation is peerless as their website proves.850 $ = 615.06 € including 19% tax sounds too nice to be true.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #2,232 of 6,550
ordered directly from calyx for default price 999 $ = 723.07 € would have to bear - because of trade agreements with EU and South Korea in 2011 there is no tax.
... but there was yet somehow a 850€ preorder price for international customers in this threadspace ?

If the Calyx M complies with his promise of Femto sound i would buy this player for even 1k € quickly, as long as calyx has not yet developed a sophisticated high end marketing concept as its neighbor iRiver. Fortunately calyx is still very busy with producing at the moment..

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #2,234 of 6,550

.... not yet developed a sophisticated high end marketing concept as its neighbor iRiver. ...

I beg your pardon?

iRiver's marketing 'concept' is blatantly contrived to play to the Freudian insecurities of 'bling-hypnotised' punters with money to burn.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with sophistication.

I have certain misgivings about A&D/Calyx but I respect them for producing a high-quality product at a price that, whilst admittedly expensive, is not insultingly outrageous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back