9000 posts.
Jan 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 28
pon-and-zi-jeff-thomas12.jpg

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #19 of 28
Don't you mean biscuit?
smily_headphones1.gif

nice Rich Tea.. or maybe a Penguin... mmm Penguins

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #20 of 28
I thought you didn't care about any of this post count nonsense, Duggeh...

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 28
Yes, but they call everything cookies over here. It's all terribly vague. Biscuit here is some kind of scone like monstrosity, and often flaky.. and served with Gravy, which is often white.. it's all gone terribly wrong in the translation somewhere.

9003.. when you hit 25,000 you get a free can of Spam, you know.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but they call everything cookies over here. It's all terribly vague. Biscuit here is some kind of scone like monstrosity, and often flaky.. and served with Gravy, which is often white.. it's all gone terribly wrong in the translation somewhere.

I'll give you the shorthand explanation of scones vs. american biscuits:

Scones often have eggs in them. And are often sweet.

By strict definition, an American biscuit is something like a scottish scone, but the flavor ranges from neutral to savory rather than neutral to sweet. And despite the protestations of a certain belligerant teutonic baker who shall remain nameless, american biscuit dough contains no eggs. Ever. If you added an egg, it would immediately become scone dough.

Furthermore, there are both southern and northern american biscuits, with the northern american biscuit having at least two variations.

The thing about baked goods in the south part of the united states is that their flour sucks. You cannot grow decent wheat in that climate. What you get when you make white flour from southern wheat is something much closer to cake flour than the blend that would usually be called 'all purpose' flour. It's a matter of protein content - the hot weather prevents a high protein kernel from forming.

The southern american biscuit is, vaguely speaking, what you get from KFC. Though I'm certain the KFC variant is an abomination, it is still a close approximation. It contains flour, chemical leavening, a little salt, possibly a little sugar, and either lard or vegetable shortening in addition to either milk or buttermilk.

It is fluffy though not always light, and has no real texture.

Learning how to make an authentic southern american biscuit is easy: Acquire a bag of White Lilly(tm) Self-Rising Flour and follow the directions on the back. Everyone in the south learned this way or from someone else who learned this way.

But you have to use southern flour.

Wheat grown in colder climes - and you can even grow it in the winter - is harder and has more protein in it. Protein in flour is what makes the difference between a cake and a loaf of bread. Cake flour is 3 or 4 percent protein, bread flour is 11 to 13 percent protein. AP flour is like a 7.

Thus, the northern american biscuit can have texture.

The ingredients are basically similar to the southern biscuit with the exception that butter is sometimes used as part or all of the fat content, and the flour has more protein in it. Often the hydration is lower as well.

The major differences come down to processing. It's theorized that the northern american biscuit was expected to travel well - a southern biscuit is easily destroyed when you try to pack them. The northern american biscuit is historically tougher, but at the same time may be lighter and airier.

The added protein content means that the dough will form gluten when worked, and a northern american biscuit will undergo light kneading in a flatten-and-fold process which allows air pockets to form during the baking process.

The result is slightly breadier than the southern american biscuit - but, done properly, not heavier.

If you restrict the hydration of the dough even further and just pretend that you're making pastries, you can make a northern american biscuit that, well, has flaky pastry-like layers. This is labor intensive but the results can be good.

Of course, I live in Utah, where there's something else entirely that we call a scone, as well.

But none of this holds a candle to the nightmare of "currant" nomenclature that the british have cursed the world with.

Or that pepper/pimento nonsense started by the spaniards.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #28 of 28
Watch it Duggeh, I am about to start my post leader offensive in which I will post either X2 or a quick synopsis of the previous posts in every thread until I blow by you on my way to the mosts posts in the History of Head-Fi.

You have been warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back