$90 RE-Zero vs $50 Brainwavz M2 vs $150 Panasonic RP-HJE900E-K vs $160 Klipsch Custom 3
Feb 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #16 of 19
I went for the cheaper M2s for the better all-rounders compared to price. Great value at $50 new. I'm happy with them, they sound great and definitely fill the job they were needed for.

Thanks for all the opinions.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 19
Just received my brainwavz M2's and fiio E5.

Plugged into my HTC desire hd.

OMG AWESOME!!! I thought going from stock iPhone headphones to cx 300 II's was a big jump! This is nuts!

Everything I tried so far has presented new instruments i'd previously never heard in previous plays.

The biggest thing though is it's made me respect the volume control a lot more. With the fiio base boost and the DHD srs enhancement, it's got the potential to deafen me.

Oh and mental note: stop the music before unplugging or get a very painful spike of noise.

Im going to have to reconsider getting the cowon J3 now, I might not need it

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 19
For you? The hje900

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #19 of 19
Among those listed I have only HJE900 and love them. I had Audeo PFE which are considered to be in the same mold as RE0 and while they tick all the technical boxes I found them to be anemic for the music I listen to.

I got Panas for $80 at J&R. Like everybody are saying they possess quite a unique “hooligan” and seductive sound – clear, fast, dynamic, deep but well shaped (not boomy) bass, lots of detail in mids and highs and very good instrument separation with reasonably wide soundstage. Build is very good, they look classy and I don’t have problem wearing them over the ear.  On some tracks vocals may sound a bit distant but not a biggie. Like all IEMs Panas aren’t perfect. My two main beefs are highs while sparkly and detailed can be harsh and sibilant and replaceable cord while nice is shorter than normal.

Also like all IEMs Panas are very sensitive to the tips you use. They come with just a single thin silicon tip design in 3 sizes so chances are you may want to experiment with other tips compatible with 5-5.5mm nozzles. With stock tips HJE can get unbearably bright. People swear by MEElec tips but I wound up with old UE thick white silicones. I found that Complys and foam mod while taming treble also veil mids but, as usual, YMMV.

Overall I’d say HJE are very addictive and well worth even $150. Just to illustrate the point. I tried and sold W2 and MTPG (both $250) and now struggling with W3 ($300). I still continue coming back to Panas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back