May 28, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #31 of 483
I use Hugo with microRendu without any issue, it recognises Hugo.

As for Regen I think John mentioned microRendu has an improved version of it built in already so no need to use it.

With 9v iFi iPower even though Hugo does not use much power the microRendu does get a bit warm. So 7v probably better for it (just as John said).

I currently use a very old laptop with a large & noisy PSU and I am pretty sure the noise from the PSU does get to the microRendu/Hugo. By using wifi from laptop to the router those noise is no longer there. I have also tried taping up the contact point (for the +5v power line) in my Curious USB and that seems to work too. My Ethernet cables are Cat7 C-stream from chord.

I am still in burn in stage - my network chain is basically new - and things are still changing/ improving. Next stage will be to replace my old laptop with a NUC (or possibly NAS if I don't use demanding music server program like Roon). By the way anyone tried HQPlayer? Is it as good as claimed?

May 28, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #32 of 483
Hey SleepyOne
Nice to hear Hugo works out nicely for you.

I am a little scared of by your contact tapping maneuver. I have a Curious Hugo link on my short list as well and hoped it would be a perfect match to Connect Mojo and uRendu as it is... Is this maneuver reversible? Can it be done by a not so handy guy?
I am a little torn on what to update next, but it will possibly a final between uRendu and Nighthawks.... Damn you capitalism.... Damn you laziness :D

Cheers

May 28, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #35 of 483
LOL... How do I get out of this one?
You must think I am way more neurotic than I am... I thought you pulled out the power line from the Curious Cable on the DAC side... that confused me... I didn't think of tape by the time :wink: tape is not scary at all...

Cheers

May 28, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #36 of 483
Curious usb actually sell an optional version of their cable with removable power line for additional $20. Probably I should have taken that version.

For taping, I use 2-3 layers of masking tape. So no issue with residue. Plus any residue can easily be clean off.

Sound wise taping Curious will give it a slightly different sound. Please don't hold me on it as I am still experimenting & it depends on how well I tape the contact up. I think the sound become cleaner, more detail and a bit less spacy. It is an interesting experiment, will update more later.

Important please note not all DAC can be used without the power line.

May 30, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #39 of 483
Curious usb actually sell an optional version of their cable with removable power line for additional $20. Probably I should have taken that version.

For taping, I use 2-3 layers of masking tape. So no issue with residue. Plus any residue can easily be clean off.

Sound wise taping Curious will give it a slightly different sound. Please don't hold me on it as I am still experimenting & it depends on how well I tape the contact up. I think the sound become cleaner, more detail and a bit less spacy. It is an interesting experiment, will update more later.

Important please note not all DAC can be used without the power line.

Hey SleepyOne,
Wasn't aware of this option for the Curious Cable.
I am zeroing in on the uRendu.
I think I may have found a simple one box solution for connecting to uRendu which offers android control and works offline, at least I hope so. It's a battery powered NAS server. Add a fitting powerbank and the UltraCap LPS 1 and you have a hard to beat kind of portable system :D

May 31, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #41 of 483
Thanks SleepyOne,
Yeah the option is still there.
I decided to try a Raspberry Pi streamer for now, it's due to arrive tomorrow, but I will definitely come back to the uRendu.

Cheers

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #43 of 483
Happy day: My mRendu arrived! Cold outta the box: More bass and more detail and more soundstage depth compared to an Airport Express optical > Wyred 4 Sound Remedy > WW Starlight 7 coax > DAC... Not that that setup is shabby by any means. W4S Remedy is really quite great! Still, hearing detail things and layers that I didn't before. Maybe the pace isn't quite up to the W4S yet, but we'll see in a week or two of burning in.

Looking forward to both a new DAC that can live up to the signal as well as a better power supply, although I have a burned-in iPower powering the W4S Remedy that I put on the mRendu. It was noticeably better than the new/cold iPower, but more subtle than a glaring difference.

Since others have praised the LMS mode, I used that with my Synology NAS and the Squeezebox iOS app as the controller. Not sure if using minimserver and Linn Lumin is worth the trouble switching, but maybe later.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #45 of 483

Nice, I'll be interested to hear if you think there is a sonic difference between the LMS and DLNA modes.

I'm torn between getting a W4S Remedy to use on my remaining Airport Express set-up (in a less critical video based living room system) or just upgrading that system too to another mRendu.

The cost between getting a Remedy and another mRendu isn't that crazy different, especially when taken in the context of the AE being forever limited to 16/48 while the mRendu is not.

However if I already had a Remedy as you do, that would be that.

There's the rub, right? I was not expecting a "lot" from the Remedy. Sure I read the reviews and I thought if it did for my "big rig" Naim system what the Uptone Regen has done for my office system, I'd be pleased as punch (the Regen did all the great stuff people have been saying for my office system--in fact, it made me think I was listening to Naim gear on my decidedly un-Naim Denon).

So, all that preamble to say the W4S Remedy really won me over, and that I am "afraid" that the microRendu won't deliver the PRaT that the Remedy does. Is it the femto-clock thing? I dunno, but we'll see. I liked the Remedy enough to investigate the W4S DACs (they look great but at that price I want a Schiit Gumby which people have told me goes great with Naim gear).

You've got a tough choice, and remember that the Remedy only has optical and coax output--and your DAC may or may not have the inputs, or you might really prefer one input over another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back