May 17, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #16 of 483
Tried the HDPlex PSU and happy with it. I'm also powering my NAS and a Xmos interface separately with it.

Not sure I will go for the "mystery" as it only give a max of 7V and doesn't appear to be optimal, at least from what I read.

As 9V seems to be better in term of SQ, I'm considering the JS2 for the future.

May 19, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #18 of 483
Hello, 

I do think it works better at 8.5 or 9V. Surprisingly, a bit louder as well.

Possibly a bit cooler at 7V, but I have a steady 35°C at 8.5V, so not really concerned.
You're right to spot it, I do not power the USB interface with the uR, that is possibly the reason why.

May 19, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #19 of 483
I've read somewhere (I believe the Computer Audiophile forum) that the microRendu (and, by extension, the SOSE) have trouble working with certain DACs.  And suggesting that some DACs have trouble altogether with Linux.  I can testify to the fact that when I connected the SOSE to LHLabs GeekOut450, I kept getting pops (some loud, some not-so loud) every 20 seconds or so!  I guess the pops were basically momentary drop-outs.  Updated the firmware on LH Labs' website.  No improvement. 

Substituted the AQDragonfly 1.2.  Dead silence with music playing through Roon Ready.  Ultimately got it to work after Jesus connected to SOSE through Team Viewer and went through a whole bunch of steps, too fast for me to follow.  However, I lost power a couple of days ago and when it came back on, lo and behold, silence again.  This time I decided to try and get it to work on my own.  Ultimately did so again. Probably a complete fluke.  I don't think I can reproduce the steps. 

Seems to me there needs to be more communication between Sonore and users, probably on their website.  They need to either publish a list of DACs (at different price points) they've tested their software with, or write some more code into their software for it to work with a broader cross-section of DACs.  Or both.  The software seems to be identical (or nearly identical?) for both the SonicorbiterSE and microRendu.  The established, and growing, base of users of both will thank Jesus and his team for doing so.

So, just to open up communications a little bit, would people like to share information on which DAC they're using with microRendu (and SOSE) if you have either or both.  Thanks.

My headphones rig is as follows: SOSE (powered by iFI 5v DC switching PSU) => Regen Amber (powered by Teradak linear PSU) => Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 => Schiit Vali 2 => Sennheiser HD600 headphones (with after-market cable made by Dyson Audio). 

When everything is working the sound is wonderful.  Just wish the initial set-up would be easier.

May 19, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #21 of 483
  I wonder if you can make the GO450 work just by providing it a source of power other than the SOSE.

In other words use a powered hub in between just for testing purposes, or if you have a y-split USB cable that allows you to add a second source of 5v power.

If there were a strict Linux incompatibility with the SOSE or SonicOrbiter, I would expect no sound or even non-recognition of the DAC, whereas with music playing but marred by pops clicks it is at least possible that is due to the GO450 asking for more bus power than the SOSE is comfortable providing.

I can test this with microRendu, but my test would use the GO1000 (even more power hungry than the 450), or the GO 100IEM (less power hungry than the 450), but I don't have a 450 to test.

EDIT: I just saw you used a REGEN in between, which should have solved any issue of insufficient power provided to the DAC.

That's right, I do have a Regen in between, so it's not the power.  I previously used a laptop with Fidelizer and JPLAY Streamer, plus the Regen, GO450 DAC, etc. and it worked flawlessly.  So, I'm really puzzled by the pops.  If you run a test with the GO1000 and GO100 and have no problems it might just be my particular DAC interacting with the software.  I hope not.  I hope it's something to do with GO's firmware and the OS of the SOSE / microRendu.  Maybe at some point, Jesus or someone at Sonore will pick up on this thread.  There is also the post on Computer Audiophile.  I imagine as more people start using SOSE and/or microRendu, we'll see more cases pop up.  

May 19, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #25 of 483
  So it appears the mRendu and SonicOrbiter don't have any inherrent incompatibility/problems with the GO1000, in fact when changing between two tracks with different sample rates the GO1000 is quieter on that transition than the iFi iDAC2, which makes a small but perceptible "tick" sound in such instances, the GO1000 doesn't or it's low enough in level to be inaudible.

The mystery deepens.  I don't think it's Roon.  It may be SOSE.  I believe the microRendu is a much higher quality piece of hardware.  Anyway, I'm getting very results using AQ Dragonfly 1.2. 

May 20, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #26 of 483

On the subject of partnering pieces, I picked up a Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable last week.

The difference was larger than I was expecting, the Supra cable improving dynamic contrast to the point of sounding like someone had turned up the volume control, and also yielding a larger (mostly taller) stereo soundstage/image. These were not tiny difficult to listen for differences.

But before I buy a long run of the somewhat pricey Supra Cat8 to install Ethernet in that room permanently and ditch the AE, I'll probably give another brand a try, most likely the BJC Belden bonded pair Cat 6 or Cat6a.

Hi, MikeyFresh

I was intrigued by your post and got some Blue Jeans CAT 6a for the computer to wireless router connection (then Wi-Fi to AEx like you have). I didn't do any extensive listening comparisons (too lazy) but it seemed the new cable (which I burned in by just playing endlessly for days) added some mid and upper bass body. 

I asked a BJC rep about shielding and his response (non-audiophile) was that there are problems with shielding that are not so obvious to a non-electrician, non-IT pro like me, and that unless you have a data center in your home, you won't need to worry about grounding your shielded cable...

So, the jump to Cat 8 seems unnecessary, but then again maybe it's not subtle as you said. I'll be keeping my AEx as the receiving node so perhaps a short run of the Supra Cat 8 is the way to go when my mRendu arrives presumably in June. I seem to be reading a lot about properly matching impedance and such with cables, and that doesn't seem so easily done but for people's comments here and at CA.

Anyway, if you have any further impressions to share, please post. Thanks.

May 27, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #29 of 483
Any chance you have tried a Mojo as well? But when Hugo gets recognized Mojo will be as well I hope.

So I read some here are using a Regen (Amber) on top... As I understand it this has only the benefits of supplying enough power to the DAC?
I thought the improved Regen is implemented in uRendu and with a battery powered DAC like Mojo I should not need another Regen.
I would rather add an Intona Technology USB 2.0 High-Speed Isolator foremost to add galvanic isolation to Mojo.
I am really tempted by the uRendu, it's just that I don't have the home network infrastructure... Yet

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back