Oct 6, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #151 of 483
Agreed that they didn't make clear about the voltage. However I am not sure the uptone can be powered by LPS though (like circuit can't take it or something) - think it was mentioned on CA. So it is more a rough A-B compare of the 2 psu powering microRendu.

Good idea re:using it upstream never the less - I will ask John to see what he thinks & whether it is safe to do so. Thanks!

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #152 of 483
Received my Paul Hynes SR3 7v (silver) LPS at long last lol! Burning it in now. Will be comparing it with Uptone LPS1 once it arrived later this month.

With 7v LPS, the microRendu seems to stay cold unlike the ifi which is probably a good thing.

According to the the folks at Small Green Computer, though, keeping the mR warm is best for the product. What to believe?

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #155 of 483
  UpTone Audio under promising and over delivering on the LPS-1 status, the preorder units have started to ship out 3 days in advance of the expected Oct. 14th date.

I am # 45 in line and I have a shipping confirmation/tracking #, so more than just a handful went out the door today although apparently all are domestic shipments, international shipments will begin tomorrow according to Alex.

Yup! Mine should be in Texas by Friday. That's pretty damn cool. :)

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #156 of 483
According to the the folks at Small Green Computer, though, keeping the mR warm is best for the product. What to believe?

In my opinion (YMMV), all the temperature stuff is really losing sight of the fact that most electronics have a reasonable operating life way beyond what most people will realistically want. My formerly warm and expensive CD player, now over 15 years old, for example, gathers dust but fills out my otherwise lean-looking stereo rack. Heck it's even unplugged, but every holiday season people want to hear this or that CD and I power it on and we have "perfect sound forever."

John Swenson of Uptone has posted many times about how too hot is too hot, otherwise warmish to touch is fine. Now if you can hear a difference between using 7v and 9v, and are willing to financially explore the world for a power supply that gives you what you want, that's another matter and all power to you (pun intended). I've played around with some cheap supplies and a battery pack, so I know you may want to scratch that itch, too.

I'm just encouraging you and others not to worry, and get back to the music/sound as that's what this is about. I enjoy getting new gear as much as the next person, but I like listening so much more than spending. Save your spending energy for big buys with three or more zeros! It's great we have such quality nowadays at the two-zero level.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #159 of 483
Lunchtime LPS-1 delivery in NY today, a speedy 2 day coast-to-coast trip via the USPS.

It sounds really good, doesn't it? To me it takes off some of the edge that edge that the iFi power supply gives (not that iFi sales a bad product). Everything is just smoother through my microRendu now.

I can't tell any difference between plugging the LPS-1 directly into the wall, or into my AC regenerator.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #160 of 483
It sounds really good, doesn't it? To me it takes off some of the edge that edge that the iFi power supply gives (not that iFi sales a bad product). Everything is just smoother through my microRendu now.

I can't tell any difference between plugging the LPS-1 directly into the wall, or into my AC regenerator.

the design of the lps-1 is such that you shouldn't be able to tell a difference -- it isolates the power going to the microrendu from everything upstream.

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #162 of 483
FWIW, YMMV:

My LPS-1 was driving my microRendu (Squeezebox Server on Synology NAS), and an iFi iPower was driving a W4S Remedy (iTunes on Mac) in parallel–both getting signal from an Apple Airport Express. Hmm... Hmm... After ten minutes of comparing and 20 minutes of just enjoying the Remedy, I unplugged the microRendu and set it aside for sale!

In my system, the LPS-1 elevated both components (over the iFi iPower), but also versus the other of the two input formats.

The ease or effortlessness of the sound, the detail = all smiles here. My setup may not be ultimate, and it has practical compromises (Wi-Fi), but now it's 90% dialed in for me.

Mac/iTunes –> Airport Express –> Optical, Analysis Plus Cable –> W4S Remedy/LPS-1 –> Coax, Wireworld Starlight 7 –> Audio-GD DAC-19 10th Anniv. (PLL disengaged)

Hope this helps!

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #165 of 483

With AirPlay being firmware crippled by Apple to a maximum of 16-bit/48kHz output, unfortunately it isn't really a total solution for many of us.

Neither is iTunes, although for local playback it can be made to work well with a superior sound plug-in like BitPerfect, but that still doesn't overcome the silly 16/48 lockdown when using AirPlay.

Interesting stuff though with regard to the W4S Remedy, by all accounts a fantastic device and I'm not surprised, having the same opinion of their Recovery USB re-clocker which transforms the sound from a Raspberry Pi3 based UPnP renderer I built for my 2nd system.

I'm actually glad you pointed this out because as you say, many here may find the setup a poor match. I will say my setup is practical and sounds great, if nothing else. Even Connaker at CA has written about how 95% of his music is CD-quality Redbook, so while yes I do have higher res files I can play via Ethernet/microRendu, the whole is extremely satisfying. 

But I do intend to someday explore HQPlayer, etc. so thanks again for highlighting the limitations

Incidentally, I will officially recant my earlier comment about selling my mRendu. I have continued to listen and upon revisiting the comparison, now feel that the mRendu/LPS-1 combo is probably better for most people although the iTunes/Airplay/W4S/LPS-1 is a very very close second (a roadbike wheel-length, as I may have posted here earlier).

Fun times in audio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back