Sep 8, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #136 of 483
Thx MikeyFresh,

This doesn't seem too complicated, so even I should be able to install something like this :)

Cheers

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #137 of 483

Sure, it is simple and cheap to employ.

I used this Philmore 6 AA battery holder sourced from Amazon, and 6 of these Panasonic Eneloop Pro NiMH batteries, about 1.4 vdc each when charged.

That battery holder wires the batteries in series, yielding about 8.4 volts fully charged, it runs down to about 6 volts before it can no longer provide the microRendu's required voltage/current combination, at which point the mRendu just shuts down, around 6 hours when using a bus powered DAC that draws < 300mA.

The only annoyance was the battery holder did not come with a snap on connector wired to a 2.1mm DC plug, so I had to order that too and they come in 10 packs (or maybe fewer if you look hard enough).

I use a 5 cell AA battery holder, which gets closer to the optimal 7V recommendation (and helps the uRendu stay cool by not having to drop the additional 2v)

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #140 of 483
Interesting that they include a 7.5v feeder power supply for only $15 extra.

Awaiting impressions how that compares against the iFi 9v (which many mR owners probably already have) and against the bigger more expensive power supplies (both as feeder and as main supplies) - so many possibilities...
popcorn.gif

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #141 of 483
Interesting that they include a 7.5v feeder power supply for only $15 extra.

Awaiting impressions how that compares against the iFi 9v (which many mR owners probably already have) and against the bigger more expensive power supplies (both as feeder and as main supplies) - so many possibilities...
:popcorn:  

John Swenson did a comparison and heard no difference between the SMPS that will be shipped vs the iPower. I was able to get one of the first 150 LPS-1s, so I'll be able to post come mid October.

My mR setup is really cool, I think, but I found it needed just a little burn in to oil some of the brightness.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #142 of 483
John Swenson did a comparison and heard no difference between the SMPS that will be shipped vs the iPower. I was able to get one of the first 150 LPS-1s, so I'll be able to post come mid October.

My mR setup is really cool, I think, but I found it needed just a little burn in to oil some of the brightness.

Alex and John have posted (on CA and elsewhere) that the whole point of the new device is to operate without regard to the energizing power source. (And that their cheap power supply is actually quite good at spreading its kick-back noise across a wide bandwidth of frequencies.) Considering their background in audio, it's no surprise they also said that they really would not know how the LPS-1 would sound until after it was built/assembled/etc. You'd expect them to test the new device with various supplies just to prove to themselves that the device worked as designed.

They make another point which is less often discussed, and that is that power supplies need to deliver current very quickly (correct me if I got that wrong). Swenson's new design uses these ultra-capacitors that discharge very rapidly, and this apparently results in a "faster" or "cleaner" sound. I've messed around with batteries vs. supplies and found that something like that affects the bass and treble in different ways, so I have high hopes for the new LPS-1.

I'm eager to read what people find, but I'm more interested in the resulting sound (in my case with a microRendu) rather than what power supply is feeding the system. And I'm lucky to be in the first group too. After playing around with networking and USB and power supplies all year, I'm excited at the prospect of being done with gear and getting back to the music!

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #143 of 483
Hi all! Got my microRendu yesterday (just in time as Vortexbox UK are now out of stock) and have the basic £16 7v 2.5amp PS, which is plugged straight into the wall socket. Using it with the usb hard adapter into my Chord Dave, with a Synology DS216j as the source. I've been running it for just over 20 hours and it sounds very good but just a little soft and lacking in fine detail compared to an Auralic Aries I currently have on loan and my AK380. I expect the SQ will develop over the next few days but I'm a little impatient to learn what kind of changes I can expect from burn in and from a better PS. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #145 of 483
Congrats on the mRendu, it's a fine sounding streamer.

You might also try a different USB cable or two, they do sound different in my set-up, not Earth shaking differences but also not tiny minute hard to listen for differences either.

I don't love the sound of the hard adapter in my arrangement, though others mileage can/will vary.

Yeah, I ordered that small Curious Cable link. It should be here next week. I don't know if I'm expecting much, but right or wrong, I'm expecting a lot from the LPS-1 over the standard iPower.

What do you think: a night and day difference?

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #149 of 483
Received my Paul Hynes SR3 7v (silver) LPS at long last lol! Burning it in now. Will be comparing it with Uptone LPS1 once it arrived later this month.

With 7v LPS, the microRendu seems to stay cold unlike the ifi which is probably a good thing.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #150 of 483
Are you aiming to compare the SR3 up stream of, as well as instead of, the LPS1.

It's a shame that the input voltage requirement of 7.5v fro the LPS1 wasn't made clearer at an earlier stage in it's development.
From some of the posts at CA, it would seem that a 7v upstream supply may be borderline acceptable to properly drive the LPS1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back