7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Oct 28, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #227 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckturtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What particular brands/models have you tried in which you felt had clearly outperformed the '09 Classic in SQ?

iPod 5.5 gen (iPod Video), I wrote this earlier in this thread.

I also prefer lively sound of Clip or Fuze to 09 Classic, though later is more refined.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #228 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ckturtle, you are hearing a change in tone with the change in screen brightness on the *Classic* ??

Yeah!!! But then again it could be my imagination. But, seriously, do give it a try and let me know.
smile.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #230 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod 5.5 gen (iPod Video), I wrote this earlier in this thread.

I also prefer lively sound of Clip or Fuze to 09 Classic, though later is more refined.

I'm seriously contemplating purchasing the 5.5 80 GB. But, brand new models are seriously getting expensive!

I know this has been covered in past years, but just how is the Line out SQ on the 5.5 versus the classics?"

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #232 of 548
Quote:

it is miles ahead

Wrong. It's been thoroughly affirmed that the Classic has a superior line-out to the stock 5.5G. The line-out path is much cleaner, which was one of the reasons why the iMod stopped at the 5.5G (the Classics simply didn't need it).

HPO is one story, line-out is another.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #233 of 548
I've spent 1 one hour at my lunch break listening back an forth a couple of Mark Knopfler tracks on the iPhone 3GS and on the 2009 Classic and they sound so damn similar that if somebody hates the 09 Classic SQ he must hate as well the iPhone 3GS SQ.

The comparison has been through HP.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #234 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two 2009 160GBs at my Apple Store sounded different from one another with my JH13s, and more than subtly so.

can i ask, u used your own file or the pre-load file to test the 2 system?

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #235 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshinki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i ask, u used your own file or the pre-load file to test the 2 system?

The files on the iPods, which were identical and (I am assuming) 256kbps AAC.

Also, for those wondering, neither of them were on an equalization preset.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #236 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by elfary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent 1 one hour at my lunch break listening back an forth a couple of Mark Knopfler tracks on the iPhone 3GS and on the 2009 Classic and they sound so damn similar that if somebody hates the 09 Classic SQ he must hate as well the iPhone 3GS SQ.

The comparison has been through HP.

What headphones did you used?

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #237 of 548
Quote:

It's been thoroughly affirmed that the Classic has a superior line-out to the stock 5.5G.

(S)he asked for my opinion, not for affirmation from unknown persons(s). So I can not be wrong answering with my own opinion.

Quote:

The line-out path is much cleaner, which was one of the reasons why the iMod stopped at the 5.5G (the Classics simply didn't need it).

Wrong. You are trying to derail the original question. (S)he asked on SQ, not the line-out path cleanness in terms of hardware implementation or any else type of cleanness. It is true that Classic does not have coupling caps on line-out in contrary to 5.5 gen. And this is the real reason why iMod is not applicable to Classic - there are simply no caps to update. But this does not provide it with better SQ ckturtle asked for.

Regarding the "clarity'" some people attribute to Classic - I call it rather "poorness". Classic simply has lesser resolution comparing to 5.5 gen and omits some microdetails. This result in more primitive sound, which some people treat as "cleaner".

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #238 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't compare this on some cheap department store rack system. This was compared on a 14k high end system.

I know nothing about your system except the price tag. But I know my ER-4S well and it stands well against many expensive systems in terms of resolution and details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hybwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a fly had farted in the recording, I would hear it.

I like this metaphor. I would describe
  1. Classic as "If a fly had farted in the recording, I would doubtedly hear it."
  2. and 5.5 gen as "If a fly had farted in the recording, I would hear it and feel like I smell it."

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #239 of 548
Quote:

Wrong. You are trying to derail the original question. (S)he asked on SQ, not the line-out path cleanness in terms of hardware implementation or any else type of cleanness. It is true that Classic does not have coupling caps on line-out in contrary to 5.5 gen. And this is the real reason why iMod is not applicable to Classic - there are simply no caps to update. But this does not provide it with better SQ ckturtle asked for.

No, and no I am not. The 5.5G has a poorer implementation in the line-out, and that is an incontrovertible fact. It isn't even a question of DACs anymore since you have a bunch of garbage capacitors in the path. You can have the best chip in the world and ruin it to hell with a poor implementation, and the 5.5G has a very poor implementation of the line-out despite the relative performance of its respectable Wolfson DAC. The 5.5G line-out is blurry and suffers from poor resolution in comparison; I perfectly see the reasoning in your preferring the 5.5G's HPO, but I simply cannot fathom how you could possibly consider the 5.5G's stock line-out to be in any way superior to that of the Classic in any iteration. I consider the line-out of the Classic to rest between that of the 5.5G stock and the 5.5G iMod.

You are in the minority to consider the stock 5.5G line-out as sonically superior to that of the Classic, especially to deem it as "miles ahead." But as you said, that is your opinion, and I desist to that; I'll agree to disagree since there seems to be no other recourse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back